Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DataX

Jun 16, 2023
This is what you want. M.2 A+E-key to M-key adapter by FairywrenTech on Tindie

might fit with one of those small 2230 ssds.
Unlikely, the SSD would need to be smaller than the adapter board itself since the hold down screw for the A+E key slot actually comes from the fan mounting bracket. If you look at my earlier picture with the SD adapter board, I have it screwed in on it's own, but I took that picture before putting everything back together and realizing that I had to remove the screw lol.

Edit: On a side note, I don't think SD reliability is a major issue, in particular for the homelab type environment. There are industrial and high endurance cards for this type of use case, but you could also disable / re-point services that write to disk to /tmp or a persistent directory on another volume, or set up a read-only boot disk / image.

Last edited:

webmaster

Jan 26, 2024
Installed proxmox, without anything loaded or installed, the ms-01 uses 11-14W in idle.
That is very helpful, thank you! Those are much better numbers than during the STH review. Was this with the "performance" or "powersave" governor?

How did you measure the power consumption?

Reactions: nicoska

CharlieBreeze3

Feb 27, 2022
Confirmed working Ableconn PEXM2-130 Dual M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Adapter
It gets quite hot, unknown about stability at this time (just installed it).
I'm still waiting on my U.2 drive to max it out (for what I'm willing to spend anyways).
Attached a lspci -vvv for anyone interested
I want to use this card and wanted to know the Nvme drives that you have installed and if you have experienced any heat problems, since you reported that the card runs hot. Can you verify that the card has an ASMedia ASM2824 Switch. Any idea regarding the power draw of the cards and drives?

tuxx

Feb 9, 2024
Is the Lexar NM790 the only single-side 4TB NVMe available? Any issues with heat using > 2TB drives?
I plan to use 2X Samsung PM983a 22110 Enterprise NVMe in RAIDZ1. Those run fairly hot. Wonder if I'll run into issues with thermal?
As far as I know there is another decent one out there. It is the Addlink A93 4TB.
I based most of it on the Tom's hardware post (scroll down to 4TB ssd) and checked for power efficiency.
Techpowerup has also a good review of the Lexar NM790 (idle power efficiency). That was the reasons why I went with the Lexar instead of the Addlink.

That is very helpful, thank you! Those are much better numbers than during the STH review. Was this with the "performance" or "powersave" governor?

How did you measure the power consumption?

I measured the power consumption directly at the wall via wattmeter. On default the Startup powersetting in the BIOS is set to "Max Turbo Performance", I changed it to "Max Non-Turbo Performance". As far as I understood, it just changes the CPU behavior during the boot (no turbo).
Otherwise default settings in proxmox.
CPU Turbo is separately activated in the BIOS so it should boost during normal usage. I assume the STH review changed to CPU behavior to Max Performance in the software settings.
In addition (see GreenAvocado's question), it was only connected via 1x 2.5gbe port.
ms-01.jpg

Last edited:

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
As far as I know there is another decent one out there. It is the Addlink A93 4TB.
I based most of it on the Tom's hardware post (scroll down to 4TB ssd) and checked for power efficiency.
Techpowerup has also a good review of the Lexar NM790 (idle power efficiency). That was the reasons why I went with the Lexar instead of the Addlink.

I measured the power consumption directly at the wall via wattmeter. On default the Startup powersetting in the BIOS is set to "Max Turbo Performance", I changed it to "Max Non-Turbo Performance". As far as I understood, it just changes the CPU behavior during the boot (no turbo).
Otherwise default settings in proxmox.
CPU Turbo is separately activated in the BIOS so it should boost during normal usage. I assume the STH review changed to CPU behavior to Max Performance in the software settings.
View attachment 34490
To clarify, 11-14W idle you measure was with just PVE host installed? No VM or SFP NIC connected?

tuxx

Feb 9, 2024
To clarify, 11-14W idle you measure was with just PVE host installed? No VM or SFP NIC connected?
Correct, only one 2.5GB connected. No HDMI, no Keyboard or other USB IO. Still in the progress of pulling fibre through the house.

DTeeple

Feb 12, 2024
Anyone Tried the Nvidia T1000 8GB Low Profile Video Card for the MS-01? It is very small and has 4 x mini display ports - I dont have one but have been looking at them for another SFF machine

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Anyone Tried the Nvidia T1000 8GB Low Profile Video Card for the MS-01? It is very small and has 4 x mini display ports - I dont have one but have been looking at them for another SFF machine
I've got a T1000 4GB in my MS-01 at the moment. It works fine. I've also successfully had a P600 & P1000 in the MS-01. The fan lines up with the top grille, so heat doesn't build up.

The iGPU is powerful enough to drive 5k2k screens & do Chromecast transcoding in BubbleUpnp Server (which is all I want), so I'm keen to do without the extra card. I see this weird behaviour from ffmpeg using quick sync though, where the output gets blurrier over a few seconds then suddenly snaps to being sharp, which is very annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicoska

bobbysteel

Nov 20, 2022
I've got a T1000 4GB in my MS-01 at the moment. It works fine. I've also successfully had a P600 & P1000 in the MS-01. The fan lines up with the top grille, so heat doesn't build up.

The iGPU is powerful enough to drive 5k2k screens & do Chromecast transcoding in BubbleUpnp Server (which is all I want), so I'm keen to do without the extra card. I see this weird behaviour from ffmpeg using quick sync though, where the output gets blurrier over a few seconds then suddenly snaps to being sharp, which is very annoying.
The t1000 8gb works fine as well in mine

DataX

Jun 16, 2023

Just to echo this comment, I was a bit conflicted about whether to install a GPU or HBA, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the iGPU has handled hardware transcoding and basic browser/desktop tasks.

Was skimming a bunch of benchmarks and in terms of raw performance, the Iris Xe 96EU (12900H and 13900H) seems to be roughly around the performance of a GTX1050 Mobile, which is right in between the Quadro P600 and T1000. Obviously the PCIe cards are going to have more power available, dedicated VRAM, etc. but it's nice to see that iGPU's aren't just a waste of silicon anymore. :)

00riddler

May 14, 2017
For the german guys. MS-01 is now available at amazon.de. 12900h barebone for 616€, 13900h barebone for 744€. Activate the coupons for these prices.

nicoska

Feb 8, 2023
Just grabbed a barebone 13900H form Amazon DE, should arrive before the end of the week here in Italy. Let see

Last edited:

Maverick87Shaka

Jan 9, 2024
No, they are taking the piss big style. Stocking the European Amazon warehouses before fulfilling there early bird orders.

@JaxJiang Not a nice way to treat your customers........
Don't want to going to much off-topic, but yeah, it's not good to see people that place order now on Amazon will receive units for the same price before people like me that we paid 2 months ago the device on the official store.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Don't want to going to much off-topic, but yeah, it's not good to see people that place order now on Amazon will receive units for the same price before people like me that we paid 2 months ago the device on the official store.
Yeah this is nuts. I had send a mail to support before 10 days and they told me that i will receive a tracking very soon from Germany but it never came.