Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Core i5 / 8GB / 256GB $979

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I've had the i7 for sale even cheaper than this with original box/gear barely used and not 1 person has made me an offer on any forum.... weird. Maybe people really want a warranty!

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
T has a good asking price. Sad part is that I just don't have the funds for it. I have a Surface Pro in front of me that needs a screen replacement. If I could replace the screen I'd rock it.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
How'd you damage your screen?

I personally have an i5 I use all the time, the i7 i'm selling for a buddy, but I'm really surprised on the bigger forums how little interest I've seen, and then an ebay seller unloads a boat load of i5s for more $$$ only thing I could come up with is a wararnty.

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Previous owner drove off with it on the car. It is an i5 also. I got it for nearly free. From what I can tell the screen can be replaced but haven't tried it yet.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Previous owner drove off with it on the car. It is an i5 also. I got it for nearly free. From what I can tell the screen can be replaced but haven't tried it yet.
LOL!! That must have sucked.

Get that thing fixed and start using it. The SP3 is the reason I replaced my flank monitors with 24" 4Ks... once you go higher resolution it's hard to go back!!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
My SP1 lost a screen at the start of a San Francisco -> Chicago flight. I had the extended warranty and they replaced the unit for like $200.

iq100

Jun 5, 2012
My SP1 lost a screen at the start of a San Francisco -> Chicago flight. I had the extended warranty and they replaced the unit for like $200.
If you had an extended warranty why did they charge you $200?

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
Mine is out of warranty and they want $488 for a Surface Pro 1 refurbished. Righttt... I don't think so.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
My Surface RT is held together with Duct Tape after an unfortunate "seat recline" incident on a UA flight. The hinges for the plastic kick stand got busted, hinges are non replaceable and M$ wanted more for a replacement than I paid for the device.

It's interesting, as we advance and drive down manufacturing costs to make next generation devices cheaper, we also pretty much render them as "non repairable devices" as the labor content required to repair the device may be more than the labor content to build it in the first place.

In the past year or so I've sent several Motherboards into Supermicro for repair under warranty and each time I've received a different board with no apparent solder repairs (looking like new actually). Either they put the returned boards into an RMA pool for later repair or they scrap/recycle them and ship out demo/new replacements. If their failure rate is low I have to think that the latter is likely more cost effective.