Micron 5200/5300 Flash original FW to Dell/HPE/etc drives?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

j.battermann

Aug 22, 2016
Does anyone know whether these older Micron 5X00 SATA SSDs can be cross-flashed with the original/stock Micron firmware if the drives came out of Dell/HPE ones and have slightly different product numbers (not the ****YY suffix afaik) or would one have to go down the rabbit hole trying to find FW for these from Dell etc?

Thanks!

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
You can try to use Micron Executive and it will refuse to flash the drive if it’s HPE. Also Micron stopped giving out firmware and force you to use Executive to automatically download the firmware.

Maybe the CLI can force flash but haven’t tried that yet

Reactions: j.battermann

dgwillim

Jun 20, 2023
I've done this on a Dell 5100 ECOs, but it does require the CLI - and knowing which binary/firmware file matches your drive+matching controller.
You can brick things if not careful.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I've done this on a Dell 5100 ECOs, but it does require the CLI - and knowing which binary/firmware file matches your drive+matching controller.
You can brick things if not careful.
I have some HPE 5100 ECOs - can you describe the process in detail? Might give it a go ...

dgwillim

Jun 20, 2023
"5100_D0MU075_D0MU445_D0MU845_Storage_Executive_fwbin.zip" is the latest/last firmware available so far.
I've been running this in production on a decent amount of 5100 ECOs/PROs and MAX SSDs for quite awhile.
Try updating the drive via the storage exec GUI with the zip above.

You'll need the Micron Storage Exec CLI - grab it from Micron's site.
You should back up any data you care about on the drive, and be willing to completely brick it.

Unpack the zip, you should have three folders and a "firmware.properties" file. This file will help you match the firmware to your drive type/capacity/controller. Copy the "1.bin" that matches up to your drive.

Then use the msecli to flash the firmware to the drive. HPE may have the drive locked, but the Dell drives gave me zero issues.

msecli -h list main help.
msecli -F -h will show you help for the firmware update process.

msecli -L will list all your drives.

Last edited:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
"5100_D0MU075_D0MU445_D0MU845_Storage_Executive_fwbin.zip" is the latest/last firmware available so far.
I've been running this in production on a decent amount of 5100 ECOs/PROs and MAX SSDs for quite awhile.
Try updating the drive via the storage exec GUI with the zip above.

You'll need the Micron Storage Exec CLI - grab it from Micron's site.
You should back up any data you care about on the drive, and be willing to completely brick it.

Unpack the zip, you should have three folders and a "firmware.properties" file. This file will help you match the firmware to your drive type/capacity/controller. Copy the "1.bin" that matches up to your drive.

Then use the msecli to flash the firmware to the drive. HPE may have the drive locked, but the Dell drives gave me zero issues.

msecli -h list main help.
msecli -F -h will show you help for the firmware update process.

msecli -L will list all your drives.
:D yeah I know all about msecli - except that HP drives really have a different firmware and msecli won't work.

Dell branded Micron drives only change the display name in the firmware - you can use MSE GUI and CLI to update them all you want but I've not yet seen anyone use anything but an HPE updater to change the firmware on HP branded Microns. And HPE don't even give out their updater sadly.

obovata

Dec 18, 2023
I recently got a 5100 Eco off eBay and would like to upgrade its firmware but Micron unfortunately locked this file behind a authorization wall. I found a copy on touslesdrivers but I can't verify its authenticity. Do either of these hashes match your copy?

MD5: a5534c2b3c3a2ff0d8895e3204fc2bc1
SHA1: aef98f1daafc4de9b2f466b493d02236f3354ac0

j.battermann

Aug 22, 2016
I recently got a 5100 Eco off eBay and would like to upgrade its firmware but Micron unfortunately locked this file behind a authorization wall. I found a copy on touslesdrivers but I can't verify its authenticity. Do either of these hashes match your copy?

MD5: a5534c2b3c3a2ff0d8895e3204fc2bc1
SHA1: aef98f1daafc4de9b2f466b493d02236f3354ac0
I'm not at my desk right now but you can register for an account at Micron's site for free in 1-2 mins & then download those FW files directly.. I just did that a few days ago. Their registration workflow is a bit clunky and didn't work with an active adblocker but other than that no biggie

Reactions: obovata

obovata

Dec 18, 2023
Thank you. Didn't realize that the registration process just consisted of confirming an e-mail address. Hashes matched. Went ahead and was able to update from D0MU031 to D0MU075. Drive was originally from a Cisco UCS if that helps anyone wondering about compatibility. No performance difference in CrystalDiskMark with the newer firmware but it's good to know that the odd bug has been corrected.

Reactions: j.battermann

dgwillim

Jun 20, 2023
Thank you. Didn't realize that the registration process just consisted of confirming an e-mail address. Hashes matched. Went ahead and was able to update from D0MU031 to D0MU075. Drive was originally from a Cisco UCS if that helps anyone wondering about compatibility. No performance difference in CrystalDiskMark with the newer firmware but it's good to know that the odd bug has been corrected.
I have quite a few of the Cisco branded drives - all 3.84TB. They've been great with the D0MU075 firmware.
We did adjust drive size via flex capacity down to 3TB for each drive though.

dgwillim

Jun 20, 2023
:D yeah I know all about msecli - except that HP drives really have a different firmware and msecli won't work.

Dell branded Micron drives only change the display name in the firmware - you can use MSE GUI and CLI to update them all you want but I've not yet seen anyone use anything but an HPE updater to change the firmware on HP branded Microns. And HPE don't even give out their updater sadly.
That sucks - I've only worked with OEM/unbranded, Cisco and Dell.
I did see in msecli that you can lock/encrypt the firmware on NVME devices.

One of the previous firmware updates in the 5100s switched to encrypted/signed firmware. HPE is most likely using this. I'll see if I have an HPE branded one in the office somewhere.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
we can find what vendor brands and models in fwupd repo/servers, if they are in, it will get firmware updates without contracts, and probably able to crossflash for same model.

I am pretty sure hp oem is not in.