Micron 5100 eco 960gb 2.5inch $70/each, obo

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Glock24

May 13, 2019
I received my $35 drives from Unix Surplus. What I got are SAS drives even though the listing was for SATA drives. I cannot test them right now as the SAS backplane I have is already in use with SATA drives.

The models they sent me are SanDisk Optimus ECO 800GB with a 2014 date of manufacturing and look in very good cosmetic condition.

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
I received my $35 drives from Unix Surplus. What I got are SAS drives even though the listing was for SATA drives. I cannot test them right now as the SAS backplane I have is already in use with SATA drives.

The models they sent me are SanDisk Optimus ECO 800GB with a 2014 date of manufacturing and look in very good cosmetic condition.
in a situation where they shipped you SAS and not SATA as clearly described. did they provide you a refund or to ship you Sata instead? just wonder as I don't have an equipment using SAS myself.

Glock24

May 13, 2019
in a situation where they shipped you SAS and not SATA as clearly described. did they provide you a refund or to ship you Sata instead? just wonder as I don't have an equipment using SAS myself.
I wrote to them as son as I received the drives, still no answer. I'm outside the US and I get everything I order about a month after I put the order, so probably won't get a refund, I'll try anyway.

Reactions: NachoCDN

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
I wrote to them as son as I received the drives, still no answer. I'm outside the US and I get everything I order about a month after I put the order, so probably won't get a refund, I'll try anyway.
You will most definitely get a refund. Just make to sure select "not as described" when you open the return and add pictures demonstrating as much.

Reactions: NachoCDN and Fritz

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Usualy about same to me in Norway when ordering with global shipping, but ive never been asked to actualy ship something back.

Always been refunded and do whatever with it or agreed on a partial refund if able to use it at all.
My impression is that ebay/sellers in general will stretch far to leave a good impression if its a valid issue.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
@Glock24 , no big loss that you missed the deal.

I purchased 4 SM863 SSD from the same seller.
3 out of 4 SSD have problems with slow write performance ( 161 MB/s , same speed as a HD ).
I tried using Samsung DCT tools to secure erase it , double checked SSD is connected in SATA 3 mode.
Tried with few other computers.

3 SSD still stuck with very slow write performance , only one SSD is performing normal.
All 4 SM863 had the same firmware GB32.
Returned all 4 SSD and received full refund yesterday.

I been using few PM953 960gb nvme SSD for the past 3-4 years, paid between $65 to $110 each.
I am happy with the PM953 SSD, so picked up 2 more at $45 each from the ebay links above.
Sorry about bumping this old thread, but I was reminded of your post after learning about a firmware bug on these SM863s...

• Wow
Reactions: Glock24 and Marsh

Glock24

May 13, 2019
You will most definitely get a refund. Just make to sure select "not as described" when you open the return and add pictures demonstrating as much.
Got no refund, the answer was return the drives, I explained the return shipping was more expensive than the drives themselves, they just said thet because I was using a forwading service no refund would be provided. So they got a bad review.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Got no refund, the answer was return the drives, I explained the return shipping was more expensive than the drives themselves, they just said thet because I was using a forwading service no refund would be provided. So they got a bad review.
There's no asking. You simply start a return through eBay, selecting "not as described" and providing photos, and eBay will force their hand.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yup. First sign of a bad seller I open a case with eBay. Tell eBay what the seller said and I bet they make it right.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
There's no asking. You simply start a return through eBay, selecting "not as described" and providing photos, and eBay will force their hand.
For good measures, start a transaction dispute via PayPal as well.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
For good measures, start a transaction dispute via PayPal as well.
FWIW, eBay will automatically close your return when a payment dispute is started. Did this once and PayPal held me liable for return shipping.

I'd start with opening a "not as described" return so a return label is provided.

Payment dispute should be a final measure and probably unnecessary if the item received is clearly not as described.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Unixsurplus cost me 200 USD in non-refundable import taxes and shipping for a defective 600 USD 8259CL CPU that I then sent back. I can only recommend to never deal with them, ever. When asked if they could just swap the CPU for a working part, they had no answer. So not astonishing in the slightest that they can't tell SATA from SAS drives.

In a similar case, ebay let my case sit idle for a couple weeks, even though I provided ample documentation. Be aware their 1st and 2nd level is outsourced to some company with employees acting out of the Philippines. Or God knows where. Read Meet the Customer Service Reps for Disney and Airbnb Who Have to Pay to Talk to You for insight into that industry.

Not saying ebay is using that exact outfit but the experience was similar. 1st level agreeing with me but doing nothing. 2nd level doing nothing, until pressured for the 5th time over ebay chat to resolve the dispute and issue a refund.

Since my day only has 24 hours, first thing I ask these days is "is this a reputable seller". If item is pricey and they can't or won't show me the exact item that will be shipped, I'm not buying.