EXPIRED Mellanox SX6036 36ports QSFP €150

dcmist

Nov 15, 2020
Took way longer to get the SX6036 to the latest firmware than it did to get the ethernet license. Thanks to a couple folks that helped point me the right direction.

I did NOT need the conversion so simply needed to create the dummy license, watch the call via ltrace, grab the shared secret, and create the key. Will keep the ubuntu VM around that I used for this in case someone else needs assistance.
Would you be able to point me in the right direction on this?
Thank you.

cyrus104

Aug 13, 2020
Quick question for those that have this switch with ethernet enabled.

I have a 10 gbps SFP DAC connected via a QSA adapter and auto negotiate doesn't work. The switch pulls all of the information from the SFP and knows it's a 10gbps DAC but the link stays down until I manually change it to 10gbps (in web interface or cli). I have confirmed that the auto-negotiate checkbox is checked so I'm not sure if it's a limitation of the switch or something is wrong.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I had no problems with sfp+ dac cables connected to the switch with (hp branded) qsa adapters.

cyrus104

Aug 13, 2020
Hmm, ok. I'm using ipolex SFP+ DACs and those are not auto negotiating. I might try and buy some other DACs but wanted to see if anyone else is having that issue.

Also anybody know if it's possible and how to modify the SFP+ firmware?

grepler

Jun 19, 2018
I have two SX6036G switches I bought second-hand, but they came with their old configurations and I can't get the old passwords. I have tried the fifteen-second reset button approach without success (looking at the console, it simply reboots the device). I have also tried to enter the boot manager but there is a password there as well, so I cannot initiate a reset via the console.
Is there any other approach I can take, either to flash a new OS with factory defaults or to forcibly reset the device? Happy to open the chassis and poke around if necessary. @cw823 any chance you can lend a helping hand?

1608654114643.png

Last edited:

Veers

Dec 20, 2020
I finally found that I can use the xmladmin/xmladmin account to login. This one was reset with the 15 second push on reset button. Whit this account, I can change the admin password. Thank you for your reply!

kaz

Nov 21, 2020
San Jose, CA, USA
I have two SX6036G switches I bought second-hand, but they came with their old configurations and I can't get the old passwords. I have tried the fifteen-second reset button approach without success (looking at the console, it simply reboots the device). I have also tried to enter the boot manager but there is a password there as well, so I cannot initiate a reset via the console.
I had experienced the same issue with SX6036F last month. For my case, it looks that 15 seconds were not enough.
After struggling for a couple of days, I could reset the admin password by pushing the reset button for a couple of minutes patiently.

grepler

Jun 19, 2018
I finally found that I can use the xmladmin/xmladmin account to login. This one was reset with the 15 second push on reset button. Whit this account, I can change the admin password. Thank you for your reply!
I whooped with joy when I was able to login using xmladmin on the switch. Thank you @Veers! Very helpful.

I had experienced the same issue with SX6036F last month. For my case, it looks that 15 seconds were not enough.
After struggling for a couple of days, I could reset the admin password by pushing the reset button for a couple of minutes patiently.
I then put on a podcast, opened a tty console and held down the reset button. about three minutes later I saw in the console that the admin password reset was successful (see screenshot).
1608655810319.png

I continued to hold the button while the switch finished booting (another four minutes) and was able to sign into the admin account without a password prompt. Only then did I release the reset button, which prompted another restart. 7 minutes later I am able to login using admin, no password prompt.

1608656407654.png

I love this forum. Thanks again @kaz and @Veers for your quick responses! I've done a longer-form response with screenshots so the next poor soul can benefit.

Reactions: cw823 and kaz