M5110 Bios flash gone wrong. What to do?

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by CaptainBonquers, Dec 11, 2018.

1. CaptainBonquers

CaptainBonquers New Member

I accidentally bricked my raid card while flashing the bios. It's been lying around for some time, so I honestly don't remember whether it was just an update or a failed try to reflash it with an LSI bios.
    I'm guessing that it will need the care of someone who is able to replace the bios chip, but wanted to ask here first.

2. nthu9280

nthu9280 Well-Known Member

If megarec can recognize the card, you should be able to recover.

3. BLinux

BLinux cat lover server enthusiast

yeah, most of these LSI based cards are hard to really brick. the only time where I've had a really bricked card is when the flash chip fails and I'm not able to write the firmware to it. megarec should do the job, there's also another tool called lsirec. basically, these chips have a "host boot" function, allowing you to boot the chip with a firmware image on the host itself, so even if the firmware is corrupted, you can still boot the LSI controller from the host. once it is booted, you can communicate with it and program the flash so it can boot on its own.

4. Niklas P.

Niklas P. New Member

Can you explain the process of host firmware booting lsi cards? I'm curious how that's done.

5. nezach

nezach Active Member

LSI's IOCs/ROCs can be implemented on a custom add-in card or integrated on motherboard or other product without the flash chip, where the firmware is usually located. In that case it needs to be initiated using the "host boot" mode, basically it boots directly from a firmware file; this is grossly oversimplified. See marcan/lsirec readme for a bit more details.