Looking for mini proxmox pc sub $250 with dual nic

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JonEhh9571

Apr 19, 2022
Looking for mini pc to run proxmox and a few vms including windows 11 jumpbox vm to access my environment. Also would like the ability to run VMware esxi 7 or 8 without jumping through a bunch of hoops trying to load the drivers. Ideally going to run proxmox in software mirror on the 2x nvmes.

Requirements
- 4 core 2.6ghz or faster
- 16g ram
- 2x 1gbps Intel nic - 2.5gbps preferred
- 2x nvme m.2 2280
- wall mount like average router size no bigger than 15 inch x 15 inch
- brand. Please no weird AliExpress Chinese vendor that is here today and gone tomorrow. Ideally like something that is semi mainstream that if I run into a issue a quick goole search will actually have forum posts about it.

Bonus
- small pci-e slot future item like tiny GPU or 10g nic

Budget
- $300 USD shipped to ATL GA area
- I am open to buying a unit with less ram and upgrading if fits in budget.
- open to older units but would really prefer something modern with high frequency CPU so when I need to hop on the windows jump box and do some tasks I'm not waiting 30 seconds for chrome to load.
- open to used / eBay items

Thanks!

Last edited:

louie1961

May 15, 2023
This might fit your needs. You can add a second NIC via the flexIO port. They make a 2.5gbe and a 10gbe NIC to fit these. If you want a more modern CPU you will have to change your budget. These have dual 4 channel m.2 NVME slots. I have a g9 version and I run proxmox on it as my main proxmox node, and use a ZFS mirror across both m.2 slots. It definitely fits the bill from a size perspective.

louie1961

May 15, 2023
If you aren't concerned about the power consumption a non-T (65 watt) version is available with a faster CPU

mr. B

Mar 24, 2024
This might fit your needs. You can add a second NIC via the flexIO port. They make a 2.5gbe and a 10gbe NIC to fit these. If you want a more modern CPU you will have to change your budget. These have dual 4 channel m.2 NVME slots. I have a g9 version and I run proxmox on it as my main proxmox node, and use a ZFS mirror across both m.2 slots. It definitely fits the bill from a size perspective.

I tought the g4 versions flex io do not have a nic version available ... ?

louie1961

May 15, 2023
You are correct, my bad. Step up to the G5 and above for the flexIO NICs, or use an M.2 to ethernet adapter in the wifi slot or use a USB NIC. I can confirm that USB 2.5gbe Realtek based NICs work in Proxmox out of the box. No need to load drivers or do anything. Just plug them in, reconfigure your /etc/network/interfaces file and you will be off to the races.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
At that price, you could grab some xeon-d 1U nodes with 4-6 cores and some DRAM off ebay.