Looking for Fan replacements - Custom build using old SuperMicro chassis.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

level42

Feb 22, 2017
I have an older 16Bay server chassis from Supermicro. I can't find the exact part number, but it looks identical to this: SuperMicro 836BE1C-R1K23B 3U 16-Bay Server SuperChassis

I've gutted this system and replaced the guts with those of my old desktop computer (i7 3770k, Sabretooth Z77, 32GB of RAM, simple desktop build).

The chassis comes with some ROARING!!! 80mm fans that ideally I would like to replace.

Previous Fan Part Number: FAN-0070L

These fans are HORRIBLY loud, and I would love to replace them. Does anyone know of any recommended fans for this? I was originally looking at Noctua NF-A8 FLX fans (or something equivalent) as they're dramatically quieter. I am a bit worried about keeping 16 Drives cool, but at the same time, the noise is a major issue for me operating this chassis.

Would the Noctua NF-A8 FLX be sufficient?

Feb 19, 2021
NA-FC1

The NA-FC1 is a compact, highly flexible controller for 4-pin PWM fans that can both work on its own for manual speed reduction and also work in tandem with the automatic motherboard fan control. By adjusting the NA-FC1’s speed control dial, users can either manually set a PWM duty cycle from 0 to 100% or reduce the PWM duty cycle supplied by PC motherboards in order to have the fans running slower than the automatic motherboard fan control would allow. While the brightness of the orange status LED provides visual feedback on the current dial setting, the push button allows the NA-FC1 to be switched into “no stop” mode, which prevents the fan from falling below a speed of 300rpm. Thanks to the supplied 3-way split cable and power supply adaptor, up to 3 fans can be controlled simultaneously.

May 4, 2015
I removed the fan wall in mine and wedged 3 120mm fans into the space using the PSU cage as the other point. ziptied everything in place. The fanse are NF-P12. so not whisper quiet. But moves plenty of air over the drives and the cards in the system. The drives make the most noise anyhow.