Looking for a quiet ATX compatible 4U rack case.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

The Reason

Oct 8, 2023
I am trying to find a 4u rack case to move my old computer to. My problem is that the computer will be pretty mouch always on and it will run in the room I sleep in. Because of that I need a case, that will be as quiet as possible while housing an ATX motherboard, ATX psu and a GTX 1070 founders (270mm gpu length). I would welcome 8-16 HDD slots. In case that would create problems with loudness I can also get a separate JBOD and a controller, however I am not sure wether that would be any quieter and it would deffinitely be more expensive. Price is also important, but I will gladly pay a hundered dollars more for a quieter case. the 4U size is also not necessary, however I would prefer a larger case to have more space to work with inside the case. 3U would be pretty tight and I have plenty of rack space.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Sounds like you're building a NAS + workstation/gaming PC in one. I'd recommend splitting those up into two systems; a low-power NAS can go somewhere not quite so noise-sensitive (e.g., closet or living room), and the more high-powered workstation can be shut down when not in use.

Drives make noise when they're in use, and the GPU produces heat when in use; neither is conducive to being quiet enough to sleep with (unless your hearing is already poor). Cases don't make noise; their fans do, according to the heat generated by the system. Low-power, low-heat system keeps things quiet. My workstation is a uSFF/TMM; the fan is whisper-quiet.

The Reason

Oct 8, 2023
Sounds like you're building a NAS + workstation/gaming PC in one. I'd recommend splitting those up into two systems; a low-power NAS can go somewhere not quite so noise-sensitive (e.g., closet or living room), and the more high-powered workstation can be shut down when not in use.

Drives make noise when they're in use, and the GPU produces heat when in use; neither is conducive to being quiet enough to sleep with (unless your hearing is already poor). Cases don't make noise; their fans do, according to the heat generated by the system. Low-power, low-heat system keeps things quiet. My workstation is a uSFF/TMM; the fan is whisper-quiet.
The computer itself is about 200w at peak. It will mostly be idle at about 50w and I plan to populate the case with noctua fans. What I need is a case, that can fit 120mm or 140mm noctua fans and the before mentioned drives if possible. I can not put the server into a different room. If I could I wouldn't be writing this post. My main trouble comes with the drives. All cases that I have found with enaugh drive bays obstruct the airflow so mouch, that I would need to ramp up the fan speed extremely high. And I did not find any JBODs that wouldn't be unbearably loud.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Plenty of 4U cases fit 120mm fans, e.g., the venerable 846 or RSV-L4500, or shorter R4000. The 846 with Arctic P12 or Noctua case fans and 920SQ is very quiet; the Rosewill cases take standard ATX PSUs. Both take standard motherboard sizes from ITX up to SSI-EEB; the 846 also takes SM's EE-ATX. Active tower CPU cooler or AIO allows the fan wall to spin slower.