Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jarodmerle

Aug 19, 2022
Edmond, OK
I've got a third gen m90q (tiny8/P360) and have not had any luck finding a bracket/baffle that is specifically designed for it. Can anyone in this thread confirm if those made for the prior gen models are "forwards compatible"?

silverko

Aug 21, 2023
It can also be seen in the photo that the spacing of the screws is 10 mm larger, both two on the side and the third in width

AWBbox

Jul 29, 2021
London, UK
I've got a third gen m90q (tiny8/P360) and have not had any luck finding a bracket/baffle that is specifically designed for it. Can anyone in this thread confirm if those made for the prior gen models are "forwards compatible"?
If you're referring to the PCI-E slot then I used SKU 5M10U50350 for my P360 and modified it to accommodate a different NIC. There are a few different official baffles you can use and the best choice really depends what you intend to mount in the slot.

Attachments

Reactions: jarodmerle

Xandr

Jan 28, 2023
Just saw this over on reddit and thought it'd be of interest here (it's a 3d printed fan/shroud for cooling 10gbe NICs in M720q). I wonder if I could figure out how to mod it to also fit my shucked boot SSD...
Interesting solution, but those 4010 blower fans are notoriously noisy at full speed - at least the 24v versions you tend to find on 3D printers.

jarodmerle

Aug 19, 2022
Edmond, OK
If you're referring to the PCI-E slot then I used SKU 5M10U50350 for my P360 and modified it to accommodate a different NIC. There are a few different official baffles you can use and the best choice really depends what you intend to mount in the slot.
Appreciate the confirmation. I've got one on the way and am hoping to use it with a 2-port NIC.

WarlockSyno

Jul 8, 2023
Interesting solution, but those 4010 blower fans are notoriously noisy at full speed - at least the 24v versions you tend to find on 3D printers.
Heyo! I'm the guy who made it. With the lid off you can hear the fan, but it's no where near as loud as the 3D printer ones. And generally the loud fan is the one cooling the heat break, not the nozzle. These are typically used for the nozzles.

With the lid on you can barely, barely, hear it.

Reactions: adman_c

Xandr

Jan 28, 2023
Heyo! I'm the guy who made it. With the lid off you can hear the fan, but it's no where near as loud as the 3D printer ones. And generally the loud fan is the one cooling the heat break, not the nozzle. These are typically used for the nozzles.

With the lid on you can barely, barely, hear it.
I figured that the 5V versions might be quieter, hence my adding the 24V remark. On my Ender 3 Pro, the part cooling fan is way more noticeable than the hotend fan, but I might just have been unlucky with the fan lottery draw.

Anyway, I might draw something up - based on your design - to help with cooling an LSI 9207-8e in the M920x that's on the way here.

Have you considered going with a slightly larger fan? I know there are 5010, 5015, 6015, and 7515 available. While I doubt there's space for a 75mm fan, 50 or 60mm should be doable. 15mm depth might also be a tight squeeze, but I'm planning to have it as close to the lid as possible and have it draw air in from the top to make use of the vent holes in the M920x's top cover.

WarlockSyno

Jul 8, 2023
I figured that the 5V versions might be quieter, hence my adding the 24V remark. On my Ender 3 Pro, the part cooling fan is way more noticeable than the hotend fan, but I might just have been unlucky with the fan lottery draw.

Anyway, I might draw something up - based on your design - to help with cooling an LSI 9207-8e in the M920x that's on the way here.

Have you considered going with a slightly larger fan? I know there are 5010, 5015, 6015, and 7515 available. While I doubt there's space for a 75mm fan, 50 or 60mm should be doable. 15mm depth might also be a tight squeeze, but I'm planning to have it as close to the lid as possible and have it draw air in from the top to make use of the vent holes in the M920x's top cover.
With the specific card I'm using, there was EXACTLY, and I mean, EXACTLY 40mm squared of space. So it just barely works. On a different card, it may work perfectly fine.

Reactions: adman_c

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Just wanted @Parallax to add something I've just recently discovered.
I've so far only tested it on P320 Tiny but I expect it to work on a broad lineup of Lenovo TMM, if you want sensors and probably even pwm fancontrol in Linux:
modprobe nct6683 force=on
And then it just magically pops up in /sys/class/hwmon and lm-sensors's "sensors" command just works and displays everything you'd want to see.
Note you have to add force=on option otherwise it will load but won't appear under hwmon.
Here's what I see on P320 Tiny, debian 12
Code:
# dmesg snippet after modprobe nct6683 force=on
[ 9150.886288] nct6683: Found NCT6683D or compatible chip at 0x2e:0xa20
[ 9150.888051] nct6683 nct6683.2592: NCT6683D EC firmware version 1.0 build 01/04/18

# lm-sensors snippet related to nct6683
nct6683-isa-0a20
Adapter: ISA adapter
VIN0:             2.03 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
VIN1:             1.02 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
fan2:           1359 RPM  (min =  500 RPM)
PECI 0.0:        +46.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
                          (high = +102.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)
                          (crit =  +0.0°C)  sensor = Intel PECI
PCH CHIP:        +54.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
                          (high =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)
                          (crit =  +0.0°C)
Diode 0 (curr):  +48.5°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
                          (crit =  +0.0°C)  sensor = thermal diode
Diode 1 (curr):  +19.5°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
                          (high = +50.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)
Diode 2 (curr):  +51.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
intrusion0:     OK
beep_enable:    disabled
Thought this may be useful for people looking to see any sensor values from thinkstation tiny systems on linux.
I'll probably try this on other systems as the time permits I have various units up to 10th gen but you'd probably report success faster, just add it to the thread, thanks.

ollyholmes

Aug 28, 2023
Sorry for what I'm hoping is a basic question. I'm not a basic user but my P330 updated and on reboot now only gives 2 beeps (repeating) and no display output. I've done all of the things I can think of (and scoured for answers):

- removed all devices (m.2/ram/gpu)
- cleared cmos (I think) with jumper across 2/4 and 3/4

I can't believe it's hardware failure and feel there must be a recovery or reset I'm not doing properly. I'm going to hunt out a wired keyboard as a last resort hoping it won't boot because it can't find a keyboard...

Any suggestions would be very, very welcome.

Rundell

Mar 20, 2023
Thought this may be useful for people looking to see any sensor values from thinkstation tiny systems on linux.
I'll probably try this on other systems as the time permits I have various units up to 10th gen but you'd probably report success faster, just add it to the thread, thanks.
I can confirm this works on M920x. Thanks!

mcboot

Aug 30, 2023
Has someone encountered this with p360 tiny. I got this system with i5-12400 and upgraded it later to i7-12700 and sold the i5. Now I perma disabled computrace because why not, now my system is stuck at lenovo splash screen, jumper bios reset won't help. Is it possible that it won't proceed because of cpu swap? Ever since I upgraded it to i7 it always reminded that I don't have optimal psu but always proceeded to boot ( I have 170w) . Kinda lost at here at the moment, new board costs legit same amount as the whole new system right now.

mcboot

Aug 30, 2023
Sorry for what I'm hoping is a basic question. I'm not a basic user but my P330 updated and on reboot now only gives 2 beeps (repeating) and no display output. I've done all of the things I can think of (and scoured for answers):

- removed all devices (m.2/ram/gpu)
- cleared cmos (I think) with jumper across 2/4 and 3/4

I can't believe it's hardware failure and feel there must be a recovery or reset I'm not doing properly. I'm going to hunt out a wired keyboard as a last resort hoping it won't boot because it can't find a keyboard...

Any suggestions would be very, very welcome.
You also need boot the system while its in bios reset position. When it beeps turn it off and switch jumper back to normal position. If that won't do it, then you have something faulty.

Reactions: ollyholmes

ivan0309

Aug 22, 2023
Just wanted @Parallax to add something I've just recently discovered.
I've so far only tested it on P320 Tiny but I expect it to work on a broad lineup of Lenovo TMM, if you want sensors and probably even pwm fancontrol in Linux:
modprobe nct6683 force=on
And then it just magically pops up in /sys/class/hwmon and lm-sensors's "sensors" command just works and displays everything you'd want to see.
Note you have to add force=on option otherwise it will load but won't appear under hwmon.
Here's what I see on P320 Tiny, debian 12
Code:
# dmesg snippet after modprobe nct6683 force=on
[ 9150.886288] nct6683: Found NCT6683D or compatible chip at 0x2e:0xa20
[ 9150.888051] nct6683 nct6683.2592: NCT6683D EC firmware version 1.0 build 01/04/18

# lm-sensors snippet related to nct6683
nct6683-isa-0a20
Adapter: ISA adapter
VIN1:             1.02 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
fan2:           1359 RPM  (min =  500 RPM)
PECI 0.0:        +46.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
                          (high = +102.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)
                          (crit =  +0.0°C)  sensor = Intel PECI
PCH CHIP:        +54.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
                          (crit =  +0.0°C)
Diode 0 (curr):  +48.5°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
Diode 1 (curr):  +19.5°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
                          (high = +50.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)
Diode 2 (curr):  +51.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C)
intrusion0:     OK
beep_enable:    disabled
On the m720q, adding nct6683 made the fan and fan RPM appear as output when running 'sensors', but when running pwmconfig, it claims that manual control isn't supported. That also aligns with what I've previously read on the topic, that you typically can't control the fan speed manually on these machines, and that it's purely BIOS controlled.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though.

mcboot

Aug 30, 2023
Has someone encountered this with p360 tiny. I got this system with i5-12400 and upgraded it later to i7-12700 and sold the i5. Now I perma disabled computrace because why not, now my system is stuck at lenovo splash screen, jumper bios reset won't help. Is it possible that it won't proceed because of cpu swap? Ever since I upgraded it to i7 it always reminded that I don't have optimal psu but always proceeded to boot ( I have 170w) . Kinda lost at here at the moment, new board costs legit same amount as the whole new system right now.
In case someone comes across this situtation. It was resolved via manual bios flash. My system prolly has faulty computrace chip as I can reproduce this when setting computrace to "permanently disabled" and after reboot system freezes again to lenovo logo and sounds like a jet engine until manually powered down. Again after flash it does come alive but computrace claims it's enabled but can't tell for sure is it really

Edit: Even bought i3-12100 before trying to flash the bios, but that didnt do anything.

Last edited:

john40406

Jul 15, 2023
In case someone comes across this situtation. It was resolved via manual bios flash. My system prolly has faulty computrace chip as I can reproduce this when setting computrace to "permanently disabled" and after reboot system freezes again to lenovo logo and sounds like a jet engine until manually powered down. Again after flash it does come alive but computrace claims it's enabled but can't tell for sure is it really

Edit: Even bought i3-12100 before trying to flash the bios, but that didnt do anything.
I had similar issues earlier with one of my m720q, had to replace the mobo with an m920q mobo from ebay.

In my case, the fan spins up, sounds like a super jumbo taking off. I exhausted all efforts but could not flash the BIOS.
Would you mind providing some info regarding how you flashed the BIOS?

mcboot

Aug 30, 2023
I had similar issues earlier with one of my m720q, had to replace the mobo with an m920q mobo from ebay.

In my case, the fan spins up, sounds like a super jumbo taking off. I exhausted all efforts but could not flash the BIOS.
Would you mind providing some info regarding how you flashed the BIOS?
Of course.

1. Get USB stick under 32Gb. Which is formated FAT32 and MBR partition table
2. Get BIOS files from lenovo page, theres multiple choices but you're looking for "BIOS Update (USB Drive Package)"
3. Extract all files from that .zip you just downloaded to root of that USB drive.
4. Set that jumper to CLR_CMOS mode ( I don't know are these same for you aswell, mine were pins 2-4 )
5. Plug USB stick to the front USB header and start system and after short while it'll start do its thing without doing anything yourself.
6. After its done it'll shut down, then put that jumper back to normal position ( in my case 5-6 )
7. Boot her up and hope for the best :D