Drag to reposition cover

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pkonrad

Nov 21, 2023
Hi,

I need help, although I don't know if it's possible. I have a Lenovo M710q with an Intel i3 7100T processor. I have the HomeAssistant system installed and the main one I use. I still have Windows 11, but only for firmware updates. I want to save electricity. This option is not available in the BIOS. Could someone be there and reply to me? I'm using Google translator, sorry for any mistakes.

cegha04

May 21, 2015
Hi guys, i just came across this as i am researching how to upgrade my dell r210ii that i use as my router. I really wanted to lower the power consumption.

It seems perfect, except - my router is running an intel X710-T2. Because my internet is through ATT fiber, its 5gb connection to the main box upstream (although my fiber speed is 2.5gbps).

So i run the X710-T2L - measuring my card it is about 7" though, i think thats too big for the M720q? Do i have any other options? i see many people are finding 10gb cards that work, but they dont support 2.5/5 GB.

There is also the X550-T2. Does that fit?

Does anyone have any 10gb NICs that fit, that also support 2.5 and 5gb?

my r210ii runs about 50 watts and it would save me a ton of money to find out how to get something so small running for this task.
I've done a pretty fair amount of research. To my knowledge the best card I have found so far is the Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S rev2. Intel 82599 chipset, small compact size, dual SFP+, cheap, printable bracket for any model Lenovo Tiny PC.

Add this shroud and fan to keep it cool and you should have no issues at all. With the half size AOC-STGN-I2S there should be plenty of room for this.

aruffell

Sep 22, 2023
Browsing the firmware settings on my Lenovo m920q I found an option to enable "Intel Thunderbolt Technology" (version 1.2). I thought I needed to add hardware for the computer to have TB. If not, on what port would the TB be enabled on? I've never used TB before but I believe I read that it can be used for an external graphics card.

I recently got an SM768 based USB video adapter that I passed through to a Windows 11 VM on an m920q running Proxmox. Most of what I want to do doesn't need much graphics power so this may be just fine but while watching a Netflix video it felt like it skipped a bit which is why I now wonder whether TB is an option.

Edit >> Should have searched better before posting: English Community-Lenovo Community

Debtor8100

Dec 12, 2022
Is anyone aware of 3D printed PCI-e cover for Mellanox Connect-X3 Single port version (CX311A‑XCAT)?

I found one version for dual port version and Connect-X2 versions, but I am quite unfamiliar with 3D printing and where to look for. I would prefer a complete print, but print files will do too.

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
I've picked up a few TMM machines lately (M90Q Gen 3 x2 / M90Q Gen1) and wanted to know if anyone is printing the baffles still? I contacted the guy on Reddit but have not received a response regarding his printing them.

986box

Oct 14, 2017
I've picked up a few TMM machines lately (M90Q Gen 3 x2 / M90Q Gen1) and wanted to know if anyone is printing the baffles still? I contacted the guy on Reddit but have not received a response regarding his printing them.
You can download the file and print it yourself. If you don’t have a printer, you can send to print and shipped back to you for a fee.

Debtor8100

Dec 12, 2022
You can download the file and print it yourself. If you don’t have a printer, you can send to print and shipped back to you for a fee.
I actually asked the same question as @PnoT earlier today.

Would it be possible to link some popular models and resources for 3D printing to the first post? I was not that versed in 3D printing and it took me a while to find the .stl for my specific card.

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
Is it possible to define TDP Limit in the M720q BIOS?

Saw a nice offer for one but with just a Pentium CPU. Is it possible to use „non-T“ CPUs?

cegha04

May 21, 2015

I uploaded my modified copy of a bracket for the Supermicro AOC-STGN-I2S to fit a M90q as the original was meant to fit a M720q and did not work on the M90q. Hopefully some people here will find this useful.

flame7487

Jul 10, 2022
RE: PSU splitter to power 2× tinys etc
From more than a year, one Lenovo 300W brick with 20v Connector Yellow Tip (11x5mm) was attached (via 4× Y plain Slim Tip splitter) by me to : monitor ThV x1 | Tiny | Nano | ThPx201s (tip converter) | miniUPS to KVM (Tiny USB + conversion from 5V to 12V)
Original Lenovo ADL300SLC3A/ADL300SDC3A computer charger 300W power adapter square port Superbuy - The Best Taobao Agent Help You Shop,Shipping From China
One can see at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001621967317.html They were used by me.

evil_santa

Apr 16, 2023
Thanks - I‘ll stick with a T model then…
If I figured out how its working I give a comment here.
This guy used a k type CPU on his m720q with mod bios.

some links to read
StarkeBlog - Modifying BIOS Using RU.EFI

Fixing CFG Lock | OpenCore Post-Install

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MadOptiX

Extremity

Nov 22, 2023
I'm working on an M900 Tiny (which isn't mentioned in the main thread, too old I guess?) and have upgraded everything and swapped in a 6700. It's meant to be used with Proxmox as a basic Home Assistant server - I'm setting this one up at my grandma's house and needed something small and reliable. Things are moving along except for one weird issue - when setting the CPU fan to "prioritize thermals" the fan immediately shoots to 100% the second the system boots, and a fan error (0135) is reported. Oddly enough, when set to "prioritize acoustics" the fan works fine, adjusting as it should. Acoustics aren't an issue, though, and with a CPU at 5 times the TDP of the original 6500T that extra cooling isn't something I want to miss out on.

I've posted a thread on the official Lenovo forums, but haven't found any answers. Through searching I've found others with a similar issue, and no fix. As far as I can tell it's a bug Lenovo needs to fix. I'm on the latest BIOS. Is there anything I can do about this? I've got all the tools to flash the chip, should I be looking into a different BIOS or something? Here's the Lenovo thread, for reference:

Additionally, I've been attempting to find the 65w heatsink from the M900x (01EF331) but it apparently does not exist in the planet anymore. Is there any other suggested upgrade to the original heatsink/blower fan? I saw it mentioned in the OP but couldn't find the details for this model. I'll have to do some measuring.

evil_santa

Apr 16, 2023
Additionally, I've been attempting to find the 65w heatsink from the M900x (01EF331) but it apparently does not exist in the planet anymore. Is there any other suggested upgrade to the original heatsink/blower fan? I saw it mentioned in the OP but couldn't find the details for this model. I'll have to do some measuring.
This should be the right cooling block

Reactions: Extremity