Lenovo OEM Intel P3700 Firmware Update ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Does anyone if it is possible to update the firmware on a Lenovo OEM Intel P3700 AIC (and if so, can you push me down the right path)? I snagged a couple that were new and great deals off ebay, but inability to update the f/w is driving me nuts.

O/c when I run Intel's Dataceter Tool (isdct), I can't due to it being Lenovo (ref below). I figure that updating would be possible using nvme cli, provided I had the firmware. Similar to the Intel P3605 - Oracle OEM.

Due to the extreme lack of information on the web regarding f/w update for this drive, non-OEM usage must be very low? Thoughts / help are much appreciated.

Intel P3700 NVMe Enterprise Performance Flash Adapter Product Guide > Lenovo Press

Code:
isdct show -all -intelssd 0
Bootloader : 8B1B0133
Firmware : 8DV1LP13
FirmwareUpdateAvailable : Please contact your Intel representative about firmware update for this drive.
ModelNumber : INTEL SSDPEDMD800G4L
OEM : Lenovo
ProductFamily : Intel SSD DC P3700 Series

voodooFX

Jan 26, 2014
Well, based on the statement "Please contact your Intel representative about firmware update for this drive"
looks like Lenovo is expecting intel to provide the firmware updates

Stupid question: have you tried the Intel Toolbox other than Dataceter Tool?

Reactions: svtkobra7

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks for the reply - I felt so lonely out here by myself :cool::(
Well, based on the statement "Please contact your Intel representative about firmware update for this drive"
looks like Lenovo is expecting intel to provide the firmware updates
  • So actually the complete opposite, Intel is expecting Lenovo. I know this too well unfortunately.
  • The engineers wanted the message to say: "Tough $hit, you have an OEM drive and our isdct tool is not gonna update your firmware ... haha" ... HR stepped in and made them change the message to "Please contact your Intel representative about firmware update for this drive"
  • The Intel Rep = OEM = you are own your own.
Stupid question: have you tried the Intel Toolbox other than Dataceter Tool?
  • No such thing as a stupid question, if there were, I'm really, really stupid!!!
  • Yes, I have actually, the code tags above are from Intel Datacenter Tool (copied again for your convenience):
Code:
isdct show -all -intelssd 0
Bootloader : 8B1B0133
Firmware : 8DV1LP13
FirmwareUpdateAvailable : Please contact your Intel representative about firmware update for this drive.
ModelNumber : INTEL SSDPEDMD800G4L
OEM : Lenovo
ProductFamily : Intel SSD DC P3700 Series

voodooFX

Jan 26, 2014
so looks like you have a intel bootloader (based on this table: Firmware Versions for Intel® Solid State Drives and Intel® Optane™... ) and based on the first chars of your firmware and the latest P3700 firmware you also have a intel firmware, so you should be able to use an intel tool to update.

My understanding is that the intel tools are bothered by the Lenovo label in OEM, is it correct?

also, I'm not sure but looks like this guy found a way to extract the firmware from the intel data centre tool: firmware update for SSD DC P3700 under VMWare E... |Intel Communities

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
so looks like you have a intel bootloader (based on this table: Firmware Versions for Intel® Solid State Drives and Intel® Optane™... ) and based on the first chars of your firmware and the latest P3700 firmware you also have a intel firmware, so you should be able to use an intel tool to update.
  • Good eye on the bootloader (I noticed it was INTL too).
  • But on the fw ... I think the "L" in there = Lenovo???
  • 8DV1LP13 = L - lenovo I believe???
  • 8DV101H0 = Current INTL
  • Regardless, I've updated fw on other INTL (non-OEM) P3700s numerous times without issue.
My understanding is that the intel tools are bothered by the Lenovo label in OEM, is it correct?
  • If not that exact field, some descriptor = 100% directionally correct.
also, I'm not sure but looks like this guy found a way to extract the firmware from the intel data centre tool: firmware update for SSD DC P3700 under VMWare E... |Intel Communities
  • I came across that previously ... it was way over my head and I continued my search. I've tried isdct in ESXi and Windows FWIW.

voodooFX

Jan 26, 2014
You are right, 8DV1LP13 is Lenovo...
Usually they change completely the fw names when they overwrite the original so when I saw that most of the initial chars were the same I thought it was not touched...

I'm looking for a way to extract the intel fw from the IDT tool

svtkobra7

Jan 2, 2017
You are right, 8DV1LP13 is Lenovo...
Usually they change completely the fw names when they overwrite the original so when I saw that most of the initial chars were the same I thought it was not touched...
  • I bet it the OEM Lenovo fw is basically untouched
  • In this link, Lenovo states a future firmware in normal INTL syntax "This behavior will be corrected in a future release of Intel P3700 PCIE SSD firmware, build (8DV10190_8B1B0131_signed.bin)."
  • I know that is an INTL fw as I had a drive with bootloader 8B1B0131 / fw 8DV10171, which I updated to bootloader 8B1B0133 / fw 8DV101H0, i.e. logic would suggest for the 8B1B0131 bootloader, 8DV10190 and 8DV10171 are both INTL (i.e. 8DV101xx).
I'm looking for a way to extract the intel fw from the IDT tool
  • That would be awesome, I'd literally be speechless. Thanks so much for your time.