Lenovo M700/M900 BIOS mod to Coffee Lake CPUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Finbester

Aug 28, 2022
From my first tests i see that the CPU runs at 50 degrees Celsius just to boot up the os, do you have a similar experience?
I haven't got mine to work yet, I have a 8400t though. Mine does heat up from what I can feel with my fingers. I think others in this thread might be a better help to you, though.

Reactions: fedezuca

fedezuca

Jan 13, 2024
@fedezuca This could be the answer.
Ok I've tried this but still no Ethernet working, I've tried every possible combination of settings to mod the bios but nothing worked and the Ethernet still doesn't work. Can someone please share his coffeetime settings to run the 8100t on m700 tiny?
Everything else is perfectly working, CPU recognized and Linux running but it doesn't see the Ethernet port at alll
Thank you very much

titox

Feb 10, 2024
Hi, I have an m910x and a qtj2 cpu bought from aliexpress, I flashed the bios provided by the seller but appart from.not having the uuid and serial number the Pcie slot wasn't showing up qndnI wpuld like to mod my original bios dump, but I'm a bit lost regarding the changes in coffetime( microcodes, ME, etc) With mybown mod I have been able to boot but on reboot it does not start, I have to plug and unplug the machine which s not practical. Any pointers in the direction of what I should be doing would be great. regards

titox

Feb 10, 2024
So I can get my modded bios to run, but I guess my cpu might have pcie lanes disabled as per post #165/#167, I didn't know the chinese modded cpu's where the spin-up's' from that post. If I'm wrong please let me know, and stay away from the aliexpress modded cpu's if you need PCie to work on the tiny lenovo's. thank you

titox

Feb 10, 2024
Any recommendation for a 6/12 or 8/16 cpu for the m910x that retains the Pcie functionality? thank you.

home_company

Mar 21, 2023
Hi, I have an m910x and a qtj2 cpu bought from aliexpress, I flashed the bios provided by the seller but appart from.not having the uuid and serial number the Pcie slot wasn't showing up qndnI wpuld like to mod my original bios dump, but I'm a bit lost regarding the changes in coffetime( microcodes, ME, etc) With mybown mod I have been able to boot but on reboot it does not start, I have to plug and unplug the machine which s not practical. Any pointers in the direction of what I should be doing would be great. regards
for UUID and SN, there is a tool to write it back. See #130 and need some google translate. Or may also help on the be the PCI-E problem. You may need to download the pack from the page. I don't have that account also.

destrucsean

Mar 26, 2024
Been lurking this thread for awhile. I have a bunch of the Lenovo ThinkCentre M910z all-in-one units that I'd like to make Windows 11 ready by upgrading their CPUs to the Intel Core i3 8100 (B0) processor. Based on what I read, I should be able to use the i3 8100 without any pin modifications. I also have a CH341a programmer (I think it has a 3.3v/5v jumper option) with an upgraded Pamona cable/clamp.

I still have some confusion, despite reading over many posts. Somewhere around post #130, someone linked an m910z download from Google Drive to unlock BIOS features (and shortly after states that the options can kill the board as well). Do I even need to unlock said features? I also found an m9xx download and instructions on the translated chiphell page too. Last but not least, I see a bunch of people referencing CoffeeTime (which modifies a dump of the BIOS?). I'm aware the CMOS battery will need yanked before performing any mods as well.

Anyways, I've done my fair share of flashing over the years (including an EEPROM on a truck), but never messed with BIOS modifications. Could someone point me to a recommended guide from A-Z that would work for my batch of M910z AIOs? Perhaps a YT video, link, or maybe a forum post I missed with well-written instructions for someone scratching the surface with BIOS mods? I just want to make sure I have the correct tools and knowledge ahead of time.

destrucsean

Mar 26, 2024
I managed to figure this out somehow on my first try. One concern of mine is that modern Windows Updates can include BIOS updates for your system. I assume this would essentially brick your machine if something like this were to come down the Windows Update pipeline?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
One concern of mine is that modern Windows Updates can include BIOS updates for your system. I assume this would essentially brick your machine if something like this were to come down the Windows Update pipeline?
select only to check and load update, install manualy, deselect Lenovo stuff.

edit: i don't know how, but this can also be an solution.
if you even use a modded BIOS, change BIOS version & Date to latest.

Last edited:

home_company

Mar 21, 2023
Been lurking this thread for awhile. I have a bunch of the Lenovo ThinkCentre M910z all-in-one units that I'd like to make Windows 11 ready by upgrading their CPUs to the Intel Core i3 8100 (B0) processor. Based on what I read, I should be able to use the i3 8100 without any pin modifications. I also have a CH341a programmer (I think it has a 3.3v/5v jumper option) with an upgraded Pamona cable/clamp.

I still have some confusion, despite reading over many posts. Somewhere around post #130, someone linked an m910z download from Google Drive to unlock BIOS features (and shortly after states that the options can kill the board as well). Do I even need to unlock said features? I also found an m9xx download and instructions on the translated chiphell page too. Last but not least, I see a bunch of people referencing CoffeeTime (which modifies a dump of the BIOS?). I'm aware the CMOS battery will need yanked before performing any mods as well.

Anyways, I've done my fair share of flashing over the years (including an EEPROM on a truck), but never messed with BIOS modifications. Could someone point me to a recommended guide from A-Z that would work for my batch of M910z AIOs? Perhaps a YT video, link, or maybe a forum post I missed with well-written instructions for someone scratching the surface with BIOS mods? I just want to make sure I have the correct tools and knowledge ahead of time.
Bad words in front. If you are using an i5 in your original M910z only for Win 11 installation, just go for the software method to install it. It is not worth to install the mod bios. Also, I had installed Win 11 in my Lenovo laptop with a Gen 6 i5 CPU and can install successfully without any windows 11 change. I just use the original ISO file. I see no difference between i5 7500 and i3 8100.

Mod bios is not as stable when you are using windows. I still have no clue for the video tearing problems mentioned in #127 pt 9. (i3 8100 with M710q). The mod run in Linux very well.

For M910/M710(z/q/ssf), just dump the bios and run coffeetime and write back and done. The unlock features in bios is optional. Swap the BIOS region is only required for M700/M900

For windows update. There is an option in bios to block bios update in windows.

BTW, set the TPM to version 2.0 before the bios mod. Or it may have some problem to change it after the mod. You may find the tools in Lenovo driver downloads.

Raufaser

Apr 7, 2024
Hi all. I am following this topic for quite some time now. Haven't done any modding yet but am willing to do so. I am planning to upgrade one of my M910q, which has currently an i5-6500t installed. My idea is to upgrade to an i5 8th or 9th gen. 2 more threads is very nice to have. And the IGP HD 630 supports more video-codecs (en/decode).

My specific question: Since in the normal BIOS you are very very extremly limited setting anything CPU wise. Is it possible to throttle the CPU in a modded BIOS? I see you can unlock all kind of menus when modding the BIOS. My question aims towards this: Shouldn't i be theoretically fine with a i5-8500 or 9500 NON-t and just throtteling it, so the "cooler" and "fan" and my ears don't get challenged so much? It is just that the NON-t models are far better available and hence often cheaper. I could also imagine going for an i7 if can clock it down in the BIOS.

My workload in daily usage isn't very high, the system is ofter idling around. Sometimes I am working with media or need to compile stuff. Then every thread matters. But only for short.

EHOT_11OTACKYH

Apr 5, 2024
Hi all. Can anyone do a BIOS dump on a ThinkCentre m910s? For some reason my dump doesn't work. And after the firmware the computer does not turn on.

Raufaser

Apr 7, 2024
Hi. Me again. I am not sure, if this thread is still active, but i will give it a try.
I modded my M910q to support Coffee Lake. I have a i5-8400 running at the moment. I basically did two things: 1. Unlock the "hidden" CRB menus (dsanke tool) 2. CoffeeTime 0.99 all patches, all fixes.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 220406.png Screenshot 2024-04-16 220414.png

The i5-8400 is running correctly at its base frequency 2.8GHz
IMG20240416212921.jpg

However, the Active Cores Limits are still the limits of the i5-6500T, which was installed before modding
IMG20240416211951.jpg

I can change the 1-Core Limit between 0 and 83. But i cannot change the limits for 2-Core, 3-Core and 4-Core to higher values. The limits are the limits of the 6500T. The i5-8400 limits should be 40, 39, 39, 39 and 38, 38. 5-Core and 6-Core limits doesn't even exist here.

Is there a way to get the correct limits for the i5-8400?

exavadeathwitch

Apr 19, 2024
Has anyone gotten an i5/i7 8th/9th gen CPU working with an m700? I just picked up one for cheap and I'm wondering. Also if I get a non t CPU, would it be possible for me to downclock it/undervolt?