Is it possible to get these SAS Hitachi drives to work on a "normal" system?

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by BackupProphet, Mar 14, 2017.

1. mzfk

mzfk New Member

Can you try to reflash firmware from EMC drive to this?

2. BuZa

BuZa New Member

Yes. I dumped flash from EMC and write dump to the flash of DKR5C controler board. It not working.

3. Forvator

Forvator New Member

This will not work, the data in the flash only for the initial download main firmware is stored on magnetic disks.

4. Forvator

Forvator New Member

5. BuZa

BuZa New Member

6. mzfk

mzfk New Member

Confirm this! i also can't find any flags that reports about active encryption!

Also this HDD's perfectly can reformatted with any bytes per sector - 512, 520, 528 - look like drive is not read only mode.

7. mzfk

mzfk New Member

hi guys, any news here?

8. BeTeP

BeTeP Active Member

Out of roughly a hundred of CobraE (HUC1090) drives I have bought on ebay there was maybe a dozen that I had to send back for a refund because of this specific problem where the drive could be successfully formatted and self-tested but could not be written to.

I had no reason to investigate any further since it was easier to return the problematic drives and buy working ones at the same price ($15-20 for 600Gb model depending on the order size) instead.

Even if I were to find those drives available for much lower price (let's say under $5ea) I would not bother because I moved on to higher capacity drives now. I mean I like to tinker as much as the next guy but in the end I would like to be able to show something for it.

So my question to people still looking to solve this problem - how many drives like this are you still sitting on?

9. Haywire

Haywire New Member

New to the site. I've been led here by google due to having just received 6 of the HUC106060CSS600 EMC drives from Ebay for my Dell R610. Sadly, they aren't seen at all by the PERC H200i controller (or BIOS for that matter). You guys are talking WAY over my head, but it sounds like this is a complete "no go" in spite of Dell owning EMC? I was hoping a simple firmware update would do the trick.

10. BeTeP

BeTeP Active Member

This thread is discussing very specific problem where
    which is completely unrelated to

11. Haywire

Haywire New Member

So this thread isn't about getting the HUC106060CSS600 drives working?

12. BeTeP

BeTeP Active Member

Everyone else's drives are fully functional (if used in their intended system) whereas yours might be just plain dead. As there is no reason for a non broken drive not to get recognized when connected to a plain HBA.

The thread is about getting otherwise functional OEM drives to work outside of their intended ecosystem.

How were you going to update firmware on a device not being recognized by the system if you do not mind me asking?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  13. Haywire

Haywire New Member

The drives are not in their intended ecosystem. I believe they would work if plugged into an EMC Isilon system. I do not have an EMC system; or at least I did not think I did. They were working pulls from EMC. The thought of flashing them was the part I was hoping there was an answer to. How to hook them up somehow in a manor they will be sensed. I cannot just connect them to a normal PC since they are SAS. Any suggestions?

14. bustedtyre

bustedtyre New Member

I have 60

15. mister_dj

mister_dj New Member

24 here, keep forgetting to throw them out

16. bustedtyre

bustedtyre New Member

I've found someone who'd try connecting directly to the 25U4032E to reflash the drive. If anyone's got standard firmware - please share. Normal versions seem to be A440, A5B0, B5B0

17. BeTeP

BeTeP Active Member

This is not how it works. The HDD firmware updates are not just raw images ready to be flashed to the EEPROM chip. But you are more than welcome to ask your friend to dump the existing contents of the chip and post it online.

18. bustedtyre

bustedtyre New Member

Indeed it isn't: firmware is 900k, while the size of the chip is 512k - it'd not fit.

He has, it's around 500kb. I'll post it tomorrow. You think you'll know what to edit manually to unlock it?

19. bustedtyre

bustedtyre New Member

Latest standard FW image for the HUC109060CSS600

Attached Files:

20. bustedtyre

bustedtyre New Member

Here it is, from DKR5D-J60SS. By the trays, these drives were in the HP P9000 unit, part #s on the trays S5E-J600SS and 5541892-A

Attached Files: