Is it possible to get these SAS Hitachi drives to work on a "normal" system?

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by BackupProphet, Mar 14, 2017.

1. mzfk

mzfk New Member

Anybody get solution for this HGST drives?

i try to reset SED state on this drive but sedutils can't see it. Seatools enterprise can see this drive but not have similar flags ....

Bump.

2. Forvator

Forvator New Member

How did you know that the disk is in SED state?

3. mzfk

mzfk New Member

look like this disk (HUC106060css60 and similar) not support SED and therefore it can be formatted ordinary SAS controller in IT mode.

I tried any wariations sg_format with --six --fmtinfo=0,1,2, 3 options and differential block sizes - 512, 520 , and 528 sec.

any kind of format processed without error but no result at all :(

4. Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy Well-Known Member

How fast did the format complete? HGST supports the FFMT flag in mode page 0:

5. mzfk

mzfk New Member

about 70 min for 600 mb disk

6. Terry Kennedy

That sounds like it did a real format. The only other thing I could suggest is to look at the FFMT flags in the Format Unit command:

7. mzfk

mzfk New Member

centos 7 sg_format doesnt have FFMT option

8. BuZa

BuZa New Member

Hello! There is another utility for work with firmware in the sg package: sg_ses_microcode

Has anyone tried to update the microcode using this tool?

Tell someone how and how you can change the parameter WCE?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  9. mzfk

mzfk New Member

WCE mean "Write Cache Enable" i don't think that it's a problem in this case.

But about microcode update: - i download firmware update packacke from DELL, named SAS-Drive_Firmware_5WJWP_LN_A440_A05.BIN

manually extract it with option --extract and run these command

./sasdupie -u -d -p payload/

procedure complete without error but as i see in debug.log "no device updated" :(

btw - in directory payload you can find firmware for this drive named A440.fwh for further experiments :)

10. BuZa

BuZa New Member

Who has the firmware for HUC109060CSS600 (Cobra E), HUC106060CSS600, HUC106030CSS600 (Cobra D), lay out, please. I have these discs under VPS DKR5D, DKR5C. It seems to me, I have made much progress in solving these case. I need different versions of the firmware for experiments. So far I have only A5B0 version.

11. mzfk

mzfk New Member

hi, i have tons of these drives , different versions and revisions.

If you give me instructions how to get firmware from it - i will send firmware to you!

12. Forvator

Forvator New Member

there is a dump of the firmware B8B8 for DKR5D where to send?

13. BuZa

BuZa New Member

No, this is just the firmware for the VPS for dkr5d, and I'm trying to change it. Tell me, how do you take a dump firmware?

14. Forvator

Forvator New Member

using the programmer directly from the memory chip flash

15. BuZa

BuZa New Member

write, pls, exact size of the firmware in bytes, and put it somewhere in the cloud for download. Thank.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  16. Forvator

Forvator New Member

17. BuZa

BuZa New Member

Great Thanks! Suspiciously small file. A5B0 (civil) and H440 (Dell) by 926 kb. 512 kb is the maximum amount of ROM disk?

18. Forvator

Forvator New Member

Yes, is the maximum amount of ROM disk. Macronix MX25U4032E

19. Terry Kennedy

I don't know about these drives (or the details at this level for pretty much any modern drive, even) but Seagate started storing a large portion of the firmware on the media back in the days of the original Barracuda drives - the flash-resident part of the firmware was just enough to spin the disk up, load the heads and seek to a specific area in order to load the remainder of the firmware from disk. If you configured the drive to wait for a host command to spin up, responses to the host were pretty simplistic - you couldn't even get the exact model number.

From what I've casually observed in the "we sell drive logic boards to help recover data from dead drives" market, those boards are generally sold with specific firmware versions listed, presumably to ensure a match between the piece on the drive's media and the piece in flash.

20. BuZa

BuZa New Member

Now im working with HGST DKR5D and DKR5C.

Has anyone analyzed the civil HUС1090 or HUС1060? What is the amount of flash?

I tried to write the MBR directly to disk. The command is executed, the data is recorded, the disk even becomes visible to the operating systems. Even it turns out to write something to disk. But after a while, the MBR mysteriously disappears and the disk becomes inaccessible again.

I am trying to put a controller board from a similar drive for EMC. With firmware CD0A202, which works great. On it, too, 512kb flash. Does not help. It looks like the differences are very deep.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019