Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
No clue about those sellers. Always wondered that myself, just assumed their main line of business was outside ebay so their ebay prices are whatever they want. If a sucker bites, great, if not, no big deal.

The sellers who do depend on ebay have to stay competitive and therefore stay close to the lowest asking price if they want to get sales. It's not price fixing since that implies they are getting together to decide on a set price, just a free market.
Pretty sure they got together and collectively decided to raise the price

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
I finally got a good price on a dual LGA2011 barebones (I was planning to just get the Intel S2600GZ mobo that the seller had on ebay for $99 plus ship but we worked out deal for the mobo and the original complete 2U case for $150 plus 30ish shipping, which I thought was more then fair).

I now need to pickup two E5-2670 SR0KX's and I've noticed that there are two types, used and refurbs. Anyone have any feelings about whether one is better then the other?

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
I've been lurking here for a while now. I found this site as I was looking into options to put together a new server, as well as upgrade my primary network switch. My current server has been in desperate need of being upgraded. Only so much an old Dell Poweredge 840 with 4GB Ram can do today.

I bit the bullet last night and ordered a package from natex.us, so I'll be joining the 2x E5-2670 party now. I got the Intel S2600CP2 board, and 128GB RAM to go with it. For $460 shipped, I figure I can't go wrong there. Can't wait to start putting this all together.

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
Thanks. I still have a lot to get for it. I'll have to get the parts in stages, (in order to appease the wife) so it might be a little bit before the build is complete. I plan to order the minimum necessary to set it up on a test bench and ensure that everything works.

keybored

May 28, 2016
Thanks. I still have a lot to get for it. I'll have to get the parts in stages, (in order to appease the wife) so it might be a little bit before the build is complete. I plan to order the minimum necessary to set it up on a test bench and ensure that everything works.
Make sure you notify your electric company since you'll be pulling 160Jigawatts once you power that thing up. :)

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
Make sure you notify your electric company since you'll be pulling 160Jigawatts once you power that thing up. :)
While I don't know the power draw of my PowerEdge 840, I do know it isn't the most power friendly setup. My hope is that I don't increase my power bill too much. I just couldn't say no to a server of this magnitude.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
So many toys so little money... I've been thinking that I need a second dual xeon for video, and a third one as a file server, and a fourth to run my vms and a fifth for a workstation and games and I may as well get a sixth one for a spare....

I had an old 12 channel analog mixer / audio interface arrive at the door last night. Still need an XLR cable and a decent microphone and a dslr... and a 49" 4k 60hz monitor... and a 27" 2k touch screen... and a couple of 40" 4k main monitors... and video cards ... and some whiteboxes... and more ram.... and ssd and cpus and a quiet 10gb switch and.... and... and...

Reactions: Benten93 and Fritz

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
So many toys so little money... I've been thinking that I need a second dual xeon for video, and a third one as a file server, and a fourth to run my vms and a fifth for a workstation and games and I may as well get a sixth one for a spare....

I had an old 12 channel analog mixer / audio interface arrive at the door last night. Still need an XLR cable and a decent microphone and a dslr... and a 49" 4k 60hz monitor... and a 27" 2k touch screen... and a couple of 40" 4k main monitors... and video cards ... and some whiteboxes... and more ram.... and ssd and cpus and a quiet 10gb switch and.... and... and...
anndd you'll end up paying a fortune for it in power bills if you have all those separate servers. better to get a newer dual v3/v4 higher core count and run everything in vms....

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
If only money grew on trees. The spicy 10 core v2 /12 core v3's are about as high as my imaginary wallet can take me right now to the next build.

Once I get my current machine velcroed to the wall above my desk I suspect that a spice dual v3 2780 will be next. 48 threads from 32 seems like a pretty good jump when combined with some faster ddr4 ram but I suspect 128 gb of fast ddr4 is going to cause me to have a stroke when I look at the price. The ddr3 is so cheap that not filling up all your slots with 8gb dimms seems a waste.

I should probably switch to a proper hypervisor setup rather than running vmware workstation and get my resources better share but I will probably need some hand holding or a super deluxe youtube video to get me over that hump.

New PSU finally arrived... I can finally complain about the noise of my cpu fans instead of the sound of my old Cesna PC Power & Cooling PSU.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I finally got a good price on a dual LGA2011 barebones (I was planning to just get the Intel S2600GZ mobo that the seller had on ebay for $99 plus ship but we worked out deal for the mobo and the original complete 2U case for $150 plus 30ish shipping, which I thought was more then fair).

I now need to pickup two E5-2670 SR0KX's and I've noticed that there are two types, used and refurbs. Anyone have any feelings about whether one is better then the other?
Whilst Hard Drives could be refurbished by manufacturer (replacing defective internal bits).
My opinion is that sometimes EBay sellers say 'refurbished' to entice buyers to think theirs are better than others who advertise 'used'. I do not think you can refurbish a CPU.

Reactions: Nnyan