Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Got BMC/IPMI updated & BIOS on the Supermicro board and the Cisco image is gone. BIOS doesn't lag and completes post a bit quicker which is a plus.

Noticed now in IPMI I lost PS1 stats although I still have PS2 stats. I should've just stuck with Supermicros warning "Don't update the firmware if there isn't any prevalent issues"

Bad habits die hard
The SM 2011 board NEED updating... the original/old BIOS is many many years old and some new hardware will not work, and they've also updated the fan/temp thresholds a # of times which greatly affect sound and even power usage as well as much more

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
The SM 2011 board NEED updating... the original/old BIOS is many many years old and some new hardware will not work, and they've also updated the fan/temp thresholds a # of times which greatly affect sound and even power usage as well as much more
Ahh good to know. From just reviewing everything before I updated... It just seemed it needed fixes comparing to consumer boards over the years (although I know consumer vs enterprise is a totally different level)

The fan sounds were killing me using the CSE 825 chassis, now its chill and I can properly set the fan profile and PWM is much more generous.

essjay

Mar 12, 2016
Hi guys, great find on these CPU's and might be exactly what I'm after for a new build. I've read back 10 or 15 pages and I can't see it mentioned, but whats the consensus on the ASRockRack EPC602D8A board?
ASRock Rack > EPC602D8A

It's readily available in Europe, ATX, looks good with a couple of PCIe 3.0 x16's for dual GPUs or more using the x8 slots. I can't really see much bad with it apart from the CPU slot being boxed in tightly by the RAM so a cooler might be an issue. Not many SATA3's but I have an old Dell PERC 200 that might do that job for me.

Thinking of pairing this board with 64GB used RAM off eBay
64GB (8 x 8GB) PC3L-10600R DDR3 1333 ECC Reg - Dell PowerEdge R410 Memory RAM

The machine won't have a hard life - unRAID as the underlying OS for NAS duties with a Win7Pro VM for various tasks, perhaps an Emby docker, another Win7Pro VM for HTPC duties and so on.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ahh good to know. From just reviewing everything before I updated... It just seemed it needed fixes comparing to consumer boards over the years (although I know consumer vs enterprise is a totally different level)

The fan sounds were killing me using the CSE 825 chassis, now its chill and I can properly set the fan profile and PWM is much more generous.
Awesome! The fan/sensor thresholds alone are worth it to update :D

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
Awesome! The fan/sensor thresholds alone are worth it to update :D
Very much so, enjoying it more now. Will so more once I get it all together.

So I know this may not be a big issue... but what's with the POWER SW pins on these motherboards? I've tried contacting them to turn on the system, or reset it... but nothing happens.

I have checked and I do get a FP PWRLED on the front so I know that works at-least. IMPI works so I can do resets, power off/on via that... but that one rare day I gotta press a button then technically I can't power it on without using IMPI.

Only connections which aren't connected

* Front Serial Port
* All SATA cables (Not there yet)

Jumpers are all in default position

X9DRD-7LN4F, I'm quite puzzled at this point. Everything else works... besides POWER SW and RESET SW

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
If you're using a non SM chassis, check the connections. PWR is pin 1 and 2, RESET is pins 2 and 3. The plugs go in vertically rather than horizontally is they do on other MB's.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
If you're using a non SM chassis, check the connections. PWR is pin 1 and 2, RESET is pins 2 and 3. The plugs go in vertically rather than horizontally is they do on other MB's.
And another tip is that if you do have a SM chassis, you should ensure that you have the right orientation for the front panel header (found on most "newer" SM chassis). I have seen people with non-working power/ reset switches and they had the cable on backwards.

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
Thank you two. Arkuatic on here sent me a PM today telling me Supermicro had opposite day in the office with the photo of the front panel connector. I was reading it how normally say my consumer Gigabyte, Asus boards would draw them out.

TIL Pin 20 is POWER SW, not Pin 1. Another face palm for the weekend! The reason I asked because I didn't wanna keep jumping all these pins.

And yes, i'm using a SM Chassis. I did check that wiring and it's wired in correctly. The wiring harness can actually only connect 1 way oddly enough. Feels like I'm working on a engine harness.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I have three of these and I'm a fan. I've not experienced any issues. The intel lan is a bit older, but ESXi doesn't seem to care. I do wish the PCI slot was a sixth PCIe slot. I have two with kingston ram and one with crucial.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
You have to use the FRUSDR tool @jwegman has suggested. Download the UEFI package from the following link:

Download S2600 BIOS and Firmware Update, Configuration Utilities for Windows*/Linux*/WinPE/UEFI

Slap it all onto a clean USB drive and let it UEFI boot from it. The tools will automatically upgrade all the different firmwares on the motherboard and you'll be able to configure whether or not you want to have any fan alarms enabled.
Okay, I must be an idiot, but there are no .nsh scripts in the .zip file (E5_v2_UEFI.zip). The readme in the .zip file tells me to run startup.nsh. But there isn't one. :confused:

I have a bunch of directories with .efi files, but no way to do anything with them.

Edit: I think you meant to link to this: Download Intel® Server Board S2600CP Firmware Update Package for EFI

It matches your and jwegman's descriptions.

Last edited:

essjay

Mar 12, 2016

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
It's *not* loud at all. When used with the S2600CP mobo, the BMC controls the cooling domains per a set profile (performance or acoustic). Each of the fans are assign a cooling domain, and based upon feedback of various temp and airflow sensors, the BMC will intelligently control the fans for the optimum cooling for the set profile. Full CPU load testing (both sockets with all cores @100%) using Passmarks Burn-in tool had spun both of the 120mm fans to 2000rpm - not loud at all.
So I got mine all together today. I'm sure it's pretty quiet for a server type chassis. However, it's not quiet. I would not want to use it as a desktop. The 120mm fans have a definite pitchy whine to them even when they're spun way down. They definitely don't have a reasonably pleasant broadband whoosh sound that good fans make.

I'm pretty sure my neighbors will know when I fire it up when the fans go full throttle for a few seconds before spinning down. ;) I don't know how loud it is under load. I haven't gotten that far. Right now I'm doing "bare metal" testing with it to make sure the RAM is all good and working before I install an OS.

However, the Intel chassis, ducting, passive heatsinks, and all that stuff went together very nicely. You can tell Intel did a nice job engineering it all.

Thanks again for pointing out the OEM XS stuff on eBay to complete the system! :cool:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
So I got mine all together today. I'm sure it's pretty quiet for a server type chassis. However, it's not quiet. I would not want to use it as a desktop. The 120mm fans have a definite pitchy whine to them even when they're spun way down. They definitely don't have a reasonably pleasant broadband whoosh sound that good fans make.

I'm pretty sure my neighbors will know when I fire it up when the fans go full throttle for a few seconds before spinning down. ;) I don't know how loud it is under load. I haven't gotten that far. Right now I'm doing "bare metal" testing with it to make sure the RAM is all good and working before I install an OS.

However, the Intel chassis, ducting, passive heatsinks, and all that stuff went together very nicely. You can tell Intel did a nice job engineering it all.

Thanks again for pointing out the OEM XS stuff on eBay to complete the system! :cool:
Bios & BMC updates were smooth. But FRUSDR update wasn't successful.

It is fairly quiet especially after my experience with C6100 (with updated fans) :)
Idling @1200 & 970 rpm. Still using the heat sinks that came with the MB. I need to go get a longer Phillips screwdriver.

I ran into issue with ESXi 6.0 install. Didn't recognize the NIC. Looking into customizing the ISO.

dstanding

Jan 27, 2015
Morristown NJ
Ordered a S1200CP2 and 128GB RAM from natex, and just placed an order on ebay for the following:

Intel P4216XXMHGR Server Chassis 4U

Offered $100 + 30 shipping for 1, seller countered with $150, I countered with $120 and was accepted

Intel FCPUPMAD Air Duct
Offered $10, was accepted (combined shipping with above)

Intel AUPSRCBTP Single Passive Heat Sink
Offered $8 each for 2, was accepted (combined shipping with above)

All in all, $176 shipped for the chassis & accessories, $485 for the internals (board + CPUs + memory + I/O shield). Now I just need to figure out what drives to use...

Reactions: gigatexal

handruin

May 24, 2015
Ordered a S1200CP2 and 128GB RAM from natex, and just placed an order on ebay for the following:

Intel P4216XXMHGR Server Chassis 4U

Offered $100 + 30 shipping for 1, seller countered with $150, I countered with $120 and was accepted

Intel FCPUPMAD Air Duct
Offered $10, was accepted (combined shipping with above)

Intel AUPSRCBTP Single Passive Heat Sink
Offered $8 each for 2, was accepted (combined shipping with above)

All in all, $176 shipped for the chassis & accessories, $485 for the internals (board + CPUs + memory + I/O shield). Now I just need to figure out what drives to use...
Sounds good. My Natex parts arrived this morning. Even though I ordered the CPU, MEM, and motherboard separately they all came installed with the low profile heatsinks. I was a little disappointed in how they bubble wrapped everything because of static electricity concerns. I'll have to try installing stuff tonight.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Sounds good. My Natex parts arrived this morning. Even though I ordered the CPU, MEM, and motherboard separately they all came installed with the low profile heatsinks. I was a little disappointed in how they bubble wrapped everything because of static electricity concerns. I'll have to try installing stuff tonight.
Mine was wrapped with the pink antistatic bubble wrap as the inner layers. The outer layers were standard clear bubble wrap. I also got the low profile heatsinks. I pulled them, wiped off the thermal compound from the CPUs and eventually put on the Intel passive tower heatsinks.

Reactions: XxrazorxX

handruin

May 24, 2015
Mine was wrapped with the pink antistatic bubble wrap as the inner layers. The outer layers were standard clear bubble wrap. I also got the low profile heatsinks. I pulled them, wiped off the thermal compound from the CPUs and eventually put on the Intel passive tower heatsinks.
Yes in fairness I had a layer of the pink bubble wrap around the board also but I wasn't sure if it was antistatic or not. I'll be taking it all apart tonight to clean off the included thermal compound. Did you use the included thermal compound on the new Intel heatsinks or did you use your own? I was planning on using the arctic silver I have from other builds.