Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Lil' concerned moving from a 69W TDP chip to a 115W TDP chip, hope I don't regret this, I was for the LONGEST time thinking of goin Xeon-D but not real happy w/ SM mobo options but this seems to be headed in the wrong direction for the pwr conscious. (not that I am THAT pwr conscious, just trying to do my part and I use 2000 KwH's per month currently so hate to see that creep up.)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah I know I need the narrow ILM heatsink for the X9SRL-F mobo, just debating between the SNK-P0048PS or the SNK-P0050AP4...guess ya cant go wrong w/ the latter as it has both (eliminates the potential SNAFU) IF you can deal w/ a monster heatsink...hear they are quiet though FWIW.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I've currently got a pair of the Dyan narrow heat sink fan combo.

They sound like a small airplane at take off. EK has started making narrow mounting waterworks for these. I have already purchased water blocks for the xeon phis so adding the CPUs seems reasonable. I should probably go to the wreckers and pick up a rad or oil cooler from a small car. It would be a lot cheaper than the specialty stuff.

Stick the rad outside in the snow and except for condensation all my heating and noise problems would be solved till May.

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
Yeah I know I need the narrow ILM heatsink for the X9SRL-F mobo, just debating between the SNK-P0048PS or the SNK-P0050AP4...guess ya cant go wrong w/ the latter as it has both (eliminates the potential SNAFU) IF you can deal w/ a monster heatsink...hear they are quiet though FWIW.
Noctua also makes coolers for square and narrow ILM, for both 1366 and 2011 sockets: Example: NH-U9DX i4

Product page: CPU coolers workstation & server - Products

More expensive, but you can take these with you when you upgrade sockets and maybe get a better resale out of them.

Reactions: Patrick

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I took a different path,
spent $5 per LGA2011 narrow passive heatsink ( BO with our favorite ebay seller , the one that list hight BIN price , with luck , they would accept 10 cent on the dollar ). These are same heatsink used in Intel servers.

If you want to spent the money, instead of paying for a heatsink, buy a spare $90 E5-2670 cpu.
Run the E5-2670 hot ( as long as the system is stable ), when you feel like it , replace with your spare E5-2670.

Reactions: bmacklin

bmacklin

Dec 10, 2013
I took a different path,
spent $5 per LGA2011 narrow passive heatsink ( BO with our favorite ebay seller , the one that list hight BIN price , with luck , they would accept 10 cent on the dollar ). These are same heatsink used in Intel servers.

If you want to spent the money, instead of paying for a heatsink, buy a spare $90 E5-2670 cpu.
Run the E5-2670 hot ( as long as the system is stable ), when you feel like it , replace with your spare E5-2670.
Living on the edge, I like it.

The processors are now selling at $110 and won't budge, thanks I'm sure to the publicity it received from this site.

Do you have a link to the coolers on ebay?

The problem I have is finding a cheap motherboard for these CPUs.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I got SNK-P0048AP4 as a cooler.

My AIO build is in a Fractal Define XL so I could have gone with a tower cooler which should be quieter. However, I easily could see this mobo winding up in the SC216 in my lab, so I wanted something that I could also use work in a 2U chassis. FDXL has sound dampening material and will be in a closet, hopefully the noise will not be a factor.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Got lucky and snagged a X9DRI for a good price.

What kind of ram is everyone using 1333 Cas 9 or 1600 cas 11?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I got SNK-P0048AP4 as a cooler.

My AIO build is in a Fractal Define XL so I could have gone with a tower cooler which should be quieter. However, I easily could see this mobo winding up in the SC216 in my lab, so I wanted something that I could also use work in a 2U chassis. FDXL has sound dampening material and will be in a closet, hopefully the noise will not be a factor.
That is the heat sink / fan we use in all our 2Us, works great and comes with both adapters.

For a 4U or tower there's absolutely no reason to spend more $$ than the SuperMicro SNK-P0050AP4. It's dead silent 99% of the time is a minimum $20 cheaper than a NOCTUA and if you're running CPU at 100% it can push some serious air and keep them operating at 100% w/out throttling.

I use the SuperMicro 4U HSF I mentioned in my own desktop/workstation and even with the side panel off I can't hear it, even gaming it never goes faster, it's very efficient at cooling.

Quasduco

Nov 16, 2015
Tennessee
Living on the edge, I like it.

The processors are now selling at $110 and won't budge, thanks I'm sure to the publicity it received from this site.

Do you have a link to the coolers on ebay?

The problem I have is finding a cheap motherboard for these CPUs.
I was really thinking something bad like that would happen after I saw that article...