Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
BTW - I have a system now, 64GB of RAM, 6x S3700 400GB, 1x m.2 Intel 530 180GB. Still a 1.9GHz pre-production. There is one SFP+ port.

What shall I run on it?
I don't know what you should run on it - but you should definitely buy better locks and cameras. Some of us know where you live ;) (kidding - of course - but this does trigger a level of jealousy that previously only involved other things).

BTW - what system is it that includes SFP+? Is that just a PHY on the built-in 10Gbe? Did they expose the other one on RJ45? Inquiring minds...

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
You should check the first post or the main site.
That what skimming gets for you!

Going dual 1520s might be cheaper than a single D1540, one could get away with 4 8GB ddr4 ecc sticks instead of springing for 16GB ones with the option of going to 16GB sticks. I think, if mobos, are cheap, I might do this as well. I don't need fail-over, just room to run a few VM's that would benefit from more cores.

Two of these @ full bore would still be less heat than my current config generates at idle.
With current DDR4 prices, the sweet spot is on the 16GB dimms....price wise 16<8<32, who knows how it will be when this is shipping let alone what kind of special deal you can get but dual 1520's sounds nice.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
I think two 1520s would be great for what I need at home. I could do one as a storage server, the other as a VM host and do two direct 10G connections between them for NFS traffic. Probably running FreeNAS with one datastore for VMs & one for CIFS shares. 32GB would be plenty of RAM for anything I need to do at any point in the future for a quite while. May consider running my OpnSense router on my N40L just because though (I think it can do software RAID 1 now since I don't want to lose my RAC).
I'm wondering whether it would be possible to achieve much the same as this already using conventional CPU's on a dual socket motherboard and having the two sockets communicate using some sort of inter-socket bus instead of 10gigabit ethernet?

If not, it was shown on another thread here just recently that you can set up a 10Gigabit SPF connection between two motherboards for just $115 (see https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/networking-options.5046/#post-43274 ). If you truly needed two direct 10G connections, I suspect it wouldn't cost a whole lot more. i.e. you don't need to wait for 1520's to achieve what you describe. If anyone else here also has interest in that use case, we could start a separate thread with that as the topic. I know I would be interested--I'm drifting toward a solution like that anyway--and it sounds like maybe you and Gigatexal might be also. Anyone else?

Last edited:

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
I'm wondering whether it would be possible to achieve much the same as this already using conventional CPU's on a dual socket motherboard and having the two sockets communicate using some sort of inter-socket bus instead of 10gigabit ethernet?
Physically the hardware is capable of it, the issue is getting a UEFI that will expose the correct functionality and the correct coherence/address maps to make it work. It would involve a fairly none standard Source Address Decoder and address map to make it work. It would also require writing a new software networking driver that worked in RAM. OTOH, the CPU interconnect would be roughly equivalent to ~200 Gbit/s ethernet per connected QPI port. But it would be a LOT of work. If you are going to use a dual socket, it would probably be easier to soft partition via a hyper-visor.

Reactions: NeverDie

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I don't know what you should run on it - but you should definitely buy better locks and cameras. Some of us know where you live ;) (kidding - of course - but this does trigger a level of jealousy that previously only involved other things).

BTW - what system is it that includes SFP+? Is that just a PHY on the built-in 10Gbe? Did they expose the other one on RJ45? Inquiring minds...
Uhh yeah, do tell abt those SFP+ options and if it's SM based. Was bummed there was not word on SM SFP+ MB option yet :-( In any case me = broke right now so unless I unload my 3 node E3-1230v2 cluster that's not happening anytime soon. Pretty impressed with the high level bench's. Blows my mind that a 1.9 Ghz SoC is kicking a high end E3's butt. Depressing...but I digress. Poppa needs 3 new toys now and apparently to unload 3 Intel X520-DA2's if these boards are gonna come with 10G SFP+ nics. Would drool over a SAS3 LSI onboard + 10G. Maybe there is already news of this...I have been digesting soo much about Xeon D recently it's starting to all become mush.

NeverDie

Jan 28, 2015
USA
Physically the hardware is capable of it, the issue is getting a UEFI that will expose the correct functionality and the correct coherence/address maps to make it work. It would involve a fairly none standard Source Address Decoder and address map to make it work. It would also require writing a new software networking driver that worked in RAM. OTOH, the CPU interconnect would be roughly equivalent to ~200 Gbit/s ethernet per connected QPI port. But it would be a LOT of work. If you are going to use a dual socket, it would probably be easier to soft partition via a hyper-visor.
Thanks for the rapid insight. :) It clarified an interesting Xeon-D configuration trade-off. In that case, I guess to avoid extra work it's either smccloud's original idea, which entails some waiting for the 1520 hardware to become available for purchase, or else it's the 10Gigabit SFP links already discussed in the other thread.

Edit: So, to put a finer point on the comparison, a 1520 (briefly ignoring the 10Gigabit capability), with what memory, would be roughly equivalent to which E3 with what memory? Then we could do a crude total dollar cost comparison (including cost of the respective motherboards) by adding in the $115 10Gigabit SFP upgrade option (or maybe 2x 10Gigabit SFP) to the "equivalent" E3 configuration. At the end of the day, isn't that apples-to-apples what everyone really wants to know, so that we can better judge whether upgrading/buying anytime soon is worth it or not?

Of course, it won't be a perfect comparison (e.g. power difference may favor the 1520, the 1520's 10Gigabit ethernet would have greater range, etc.). Nonetheless, unless someone knows of a better way to compare....

Last edited:

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
I think the quad core Xeon D-1520 would be slower than most haswell E3's. 5.5% IPC improvement for boardwell but the clocks are still much lower even at 2.2ghz. Broadwell E3's have higher TDPs though so strange comparison. To me, it is all about the low power 128GB config.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ok fine. How about Ubuntu plus zfs on Linux benches. ?
Working on it. Napp-it did not want to work for some reason. I did storage testing on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials yesterday - and in a very fun way.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
What performance level can freebsd currently support? i.e. how far off is it currently from the 10gb mark?
I currently see around high 400MiB/s with an E3-1220 & Mellanox Connectx-2 SFP+ gear for Freebsd 10 & Samba 4.

FreeBSD? That is asking something in terms of compatibility. :)
You're right. Well then lets just say I'd appreciate if you even tried booting a PC-BSD live cd to see if it works :p

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
FreeBSD? That is asking something in terms of compatibility. :)
In theory it should work. Since from you system scan print out it is all presenting as OTS widely used hardware. The integrated PCH is basically a C2xx series. The 10g networking is basically an X520 series. So it should just work.

Reactions: gigatexal

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
I wonder if we could get a vendor who would sell to us STH members in a group buy for a discount. That way all the members wishing to get their hands on one wI'll get a few percentage points of reprieve from the prices of this novel setup.

I mean an 16 thread server setup powered off a laptop style power brick are you kidding me?? awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: capn_pineapple