EXPIRED Intel 8x2.5" NVMe backplane - $50

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nexox

May 3, 2023
I briefly searched and didn't find any details, but there are clearly 8 OCuLink ports on this (plus the usual SAS,) and Intel backplanes are generally pretty easy to use with other generic hardware.

Only 3 in stock.

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
If only they were supermicro compatible (thinking 74x series specifically)... Supermicro makes a 'sorta' 8 bay UBM backplane, but only 4 of em are NVME capable unfortunately :confused:

Reactions: Samir and nexox

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Some listed again, any idea if the pinout is standard or if it's like a lot of DELL parts where the pinouts are non standard for the NVMe?

Also that looks almost like a CPU 4 pin connector for power, I'm guessing with a different pinout. Looks like it is the board from a A2U8X25S3PHS kit?

Last edited:

frankharv

Mar 3, 2024
These are absolutely interchangeable with any of the Intel R2000 2U drive cages.
You have Intel SAS/SFF8087/backplanes, SAS/SFF8087 Dual Port backplanes,
4+4 NVMe/SAS/SATA backplanes and the Mc Daddy of them all. 8x NVMe.
The PHS model.
To me the oculink ports seem flimsy. But the Intel Backplanes have one great advantage over Dell Cages.
They use stock cabling. Nothing special or exotic.

For the PHS backplanes I use Intel Oculink cable to LSI SAS9400-8i times four cards.
It is a bulky arrangement and I see the value to the SFF-8654 8i cabling.
Plus those Intel Tri-Mode oculink cables cost too much...

I tested with bifurcation paddle cards and the regular oculink cables work fine.

Thanks for the tip here. I had trouble finding these NEW even though they just went EOL in 2023.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
These are absolutely interchangeable with any of the Intel R2000 2U drive cages.
The PHS model.
To me the oculink ports seem flimsy. But the Intel Backplanes have one great advantage over Dell Cages.

For the PHS backplanes I use Intel Oculink cable to LSI SAS9400-8i times four cards.

I tested with bifurcation paddle cards and the regular oculink cables work fine.

Thanks for the tip here. I had trouble finding these NEW even though they just went EOL in 2023.
I was mostly interested on if they work with bifurcation or M.2 adaptors or anything else that uses "standard" pinout. From your response this sounds like yes. Do you have a link to the bifurcation to occulink adaptor you used?

Thanks for the tip on the power as well. Just impulse purchased. I don't even have a cage to put this on (it seems like the kits are either unobtanium or at a dumb markup, go figure). I'll test the board first and then just grab a compatible cage/kit or something.

Reactions: Samir

frankharv

Mar 3, 2024
I used SFF-8643 to oculink SuperMicro cable via the cheap China Brand "Ceacent" needing bifurcation (paddle card).

Also SuperMicro SLG3-2E4T oculink to oculink Supermicro 65mm cables. This one needs bifurcation too.

Reactions: Samir and Mithril

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
The PHS model.

For cables, any suggestions on Intel or other cable bundles (the 4x or 8x style to reduce bulk)? Could I just get one of the intel cables designed to go to one of their cards and assume that the "no games" applies to the cables too?

Quick search turns up Intel A2U8PSWCXCXK1 as a 8 drive kit (2 cable bundles for 4 drives each) and Intel A2U4PSWCXCXK2 which is a 4 drive kit (and the K1 K2 seem to be length) also maybe Intel A1U4PSWCXCVK as another 4 drive cable?

Last edited:

frankharv

Mar 3, 2024
I only used the high end Tri Mode cable where needed. I have a X9DRX and bifurcation is not an option so I bought four 9400-8i.
I wanted to compare differences.
nvd0 versus da0

All cables have worked for me so far.
Like I said Oculink seems flimsy. I want the best cable for that scenario.

nexox

May 3, 2023
For PCIe 3.0 most components seem to work, if you're going to run in a 4.0 system then cheap cables and adapter boards may be less reliable. Strictly speaking the connector on the adapter side isn't terribly important, and you'll likely spend more on cables, so you might want to select your cable first and then an adapter that fits them. I have had fine results with 10GTek SFF-8643 adapters.

frankharv

Mar 3, 2024
Intel A2U4PSWCXCXK2
I think I would stay away from these kits.
Kalley Omalley has them but they are quite pricey.

Plus they use some Right Angle Connectors on two of four wires.
They are made for the Intel SSD AIC card with the funky connector arrangement.

You can find better deals. Those would be ideal in a Intel Server upgrade. Not for trying to save money.

Last edited:

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
While looking up part numbers for things, found this Intel retimer card (16 lanes to 4 Oculink) I assume it is bifurcation required but might be useful for longer cable runs AXXP3RTX16040

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
For PCIe 3.0 most components seem to work, if you're going to run in a 4.0 system then cheap cables and adapter boards may be less reliable. Strictly speaking the connector on the adapter side isn't terribly important, and you'll likely spend more on cables, so you might want to select your cable first and then an adapter that fits them. I have had fine results with 10GTek SFF-8643 adapters.
Right, its not so much that I personally care about the connector, more I care if the pinout is standard (even if annoying like forward vs reverse SATA breakout cables) or custom, like DELL is a fan of.

Assuming the cards/adaptors cost the same, which is more "future proof", Oculink SFF-8611 or Slimline SFF-8654? I'm aware SFF8654 is a 8x or dual 4x link, for PLX or bifurcation uses thats fine with me.

nexox

May 3, 2023
As far as I understand it both OCuLink and SFF-8654 support PCIe 4.0, so they're kind of the same in terms of lifetime, I haven't looked at which one works better, if there's any difference, because I'm committed to PCIe 3.0 for the next several years.

frankharv

Mar 3, 2024
These are the Intel cables I used with the LSI cards. They have a nice feel to them.
I wish they worked on regular cards too. They do not from my experience.

which is more "future proof", Oculink SFF-8611 or Slimline SFF-8654?
I feel like they serve different markets.
oculink for consumer connections
sff-8654-8i for cage interconnections.
This despite Intel using oculink on these cages.

SFF8654-8i is more robust.

frankharv

Mar 3, 2024
I don't even have a cage to put this on
60 bucks used from this cat:
Undo one screw, slide backplane to side and throw away. Insert PHS and slide until screw hole lines up.

Trays.... Green or Blue?????

I like Green for SATA, Orange for NVMe and Blue for SAS.
That is my legend.
Officially Intel uses Green Trays for SATA/SAS and Blue for NVMe.
Orange come from EMC branded Intel servers.
There is also White Trays with green eject buttont. Not sure who OEM'ed those.

I advise buying the trays with the inserts. That way they include the custom screws.(not required but nicer than using countersunk screws)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mithril