Inspur-branded LSI9300-8i for $50

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
Has anyone encountered these cards not working at all? I got two of the 9300-8i ones off of eBay from this listing: Inspur LSI 9300-8i Raid Card 12Gbps HBA HDD Controller High Profile IT MODE | eBay and neither of them show any sign of life on either my Intel or AMD motherboards (doesn't show the option ROM POST screen, doesn't show up under Windows or Arch linux, not detected by sas3flash in freeDOS or UEFI shell). I see there are 2 LEDs on the board, and these don't light up at all either; it's like the card isn't getting power.
Mine wouldn't detect a SAS3 SSD, but worked fine with SAS2 SSDs (connected at same time). haven't attempted to look into it yet. got the card a few months ago

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Mine wouldn't detect a SAS3 SSD, but worked fine with SAS2 SSDs (connected at same time). haven't attempted to look into it yet. got the card a few months ago
that often means a problem with 3.3v power disable.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
that often means a problem with 3.3v power disable.
That would make sense. It was a desktop/consumer platform with the pluggable power cables that IIRC were fed by the SATA power connectors. I'll look into it, thanks for the tip!

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
Link with current availability still.

$16 shipped from California still just seems insane to me - I dont really ever remember being able to *consistently* find SAS2008 gen cards for anything less than $20-25 (though could be I simply wasnt in the market during some period that they were I guess), and here we are now with months on end regularly having new listings crop up across various sellers for less! These things were ~$300 new, and now go for just 5% of that with basically no down side:eek:

... Now if only we can get SSDs to sell on the secondary market for ~5% of their original new price lololol

dakmar

Mar 25, 2024
Semsotai is one of my favorite ebay sellers. I am well north of 200 units ordered from them. I bought mostly SATA SSDs and about 20 of those SAS3008 HBAs - not a single dud so far.
I can echo @BeTeP's response on Semsotai's Inspur SAS3008 cards. Very fast shipping and excellent packaging. I bought 2 Inspur LSI 9300-8i cards and they came flashed in IT mode like the listing stated. They were running firmware 15.00.00.00 and bios 8.35. They were giving me very poor performance as is so I flashed 16.00.12.00 fw and updated the bios to 8.37 as well as updated the uefi bios to 18.00.00.00. After that I saw expected transfer speeds with 2 raidz vdevs. I was able to saturate the 1 Gbps link so I threw a mellanox card in and got a 40Gbe link setup and much better transfer speeds. I am transferring 28 TB through them now with TrueNAS ZFS on HGST SAS 6GB/s drives. I don't have any 12 GB/s SAS drives to test full bandwidth but seem to be operating correctly so far! Highly recommend adding a small 40 or 50mm x 10 or 20mm fan if you can fit it, as they get very HOT!

PS: I read on a forum here that you definitely want fw 16.00.12.00 if running SATA drives as there is a shutdown issue/bug on previous firmwares.
CORRECTION: Was actually on a TrueNAS forum, link for reference: LSI 9300-xx Firmware Update

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I'm currently working on an issue where the Inspur doesn't detect a SATA drive. Stand by.

dakmar

Mar 25, 2024
Anyone notice any functional differences between these and either lsi/dell branded variants?
@cheezehead I don't have a Dell branded LSI card to compare but I have hit the physical limitation on 6Gb/s HGST SAS drives w/40Gbe fiber with my Inspur LSI 9300-8i card. I don't have any 12Gb/s drives to test full bandwidth. I'm still in the testing phase but seems to be a great cheap option for homelabs. I probably wouldn't run anything production/business level on the Inspur's.

Digital Spaceport

Apr 17, 2022
Austin, Tx
digitalspaceport.com
Physically these have a much smaller heatsink size and get super hot. You need forced airflow outside of a server chassis imo to not thermal/melt these. Surprised how small this heatsink is vs the very-much-pita Dell 9300's I have. Mine are luckily all in servers and still very hot to touch after shutdown.

Anyone notice any functional differences between these and either lsi/dell branded variants?