ICX7150-C12P bricked, but PSU seems fine

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zhongfu

Aug 10, 2018
Singapore
zhongfu.li
I've recently snagged a for-parts ICX7150-C12P off eBay, thinking it probably had the PSU issue or something. To my surprise, the PSU seems fine -- it puts out a constant 54V, and the switch LEDs light up and stay lit up.

It doesn't seem to even start booting up though. All of the (non-port) LEDs light up amber (plus a green LED within the switch), but... that's it. They don't turn off, they just stay like that (and maybe sometimes flicker a little).

There's nothing coming through from the Type-C serial port either, at 9600 or 38400 or 115200 baud. Plugging a USB power analyzer into the USB port also reveals that the voltage on the port has occasional spikes up to 5-ish V, followed by a gradual drop until the next spike.

The PSU in this switch seems to power up another ICX7150-C12P fine; powering up this switch with another known-good PSU results in the same behavior (incl. the occasional flickering of the LEDs).

I've tried dumping the SPI flash, but I can't even detect the chip in the first place -- I think I might have to desolder the SPI flash chips to read them properly here, so I've put that idea on hold for now.

Has anyone experienced something like this before, or... does anyone have any idea what's going on with my switch?

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Do you have a Cisco CAT5 <> DB9 serial cable? 7150-c12p has a plain serial port on the front too, you might see uBoot there?

zhongfu

Aug 10, 2018
Singapore
zhongfu.li
Do you have a Cisco CAT5 <> DB9 serial cable? 7150-c12p has a plain serial port on the front too, you might see uBoot there?
No dice, unfortunately -- I get serial output on my working ICX7150-C12P on both the Type-C and RJ-45 console ports, but absolutely nothing on the broken ICX7150-C12P.