Huawei Servers Resources: RH2288Hv3 | 5288v3 |

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sp_00n

Feb 23, 2023
I have both CPSs installed - 2630V4 XEON.
I tried with only single card installed to the CPU#2 connected X16 riser and RAID/2x10GBE LOM for the CPU#1 (which are not PCIE expansion cards, but of course connected to the PCIE bus of CPU#1 ). One SSD. Same results.
Full Bios power - I was mistaken. I meant FULL BIOS PERFORMANCe. There is a setting that allows for BIOS controlled power mode set to FULL PERFORMANCE(or MAX PERFORMANCe). There are also balanced performance, balanced power, max power.
where is PCIE power and timing management? I am not sure now, but I do not think I seen those options.

I will try to post some screenshots tommorow.

Last edited:

marchidaniele

May 4, 2023
it could be the low-power PSUs, but I guess you don't have 2 750w/1200W PSUs to try...
Have you tried putting the card on another PC/server yet? Working?

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
If you check here

Selecting Parts Search and the your server model plus part you get 13 Tesla cards as result.
Several of them has Notes in their line entry, so you might see if you find your exact Tesla card there, and see if you should look up any particular setting for it to work.

In BIOS you will find a lot of PCIE settings under
Advanced > Intel RC Group > IIO Configuration. I do not know if any is relevant, just saying those are there.
You obviously need to know exactly what you are doing, and also know the socket ID of the PCIE cards you are using.

I did not see any power settings there, but that could be typical BIOS behaviour, not showing all options until you actually have a card in the slot, and I do not.

Last edited:

sp_00n

Feb 23, 2023
as I was not able to find any software that will load my tesla under windows I tried to install ubuntu - and I do have problems with gui. is there any special driver for the built-in huawei server graphics card that need to be installed under ubuntu? I have never ever had problems with any server and ubuntu, the basic GUI has always started...

Last edited:

sp_00n

Feb 23, 2023
If you check here

Selecting Parts Search and the your server model plus part you get 13 Tesla cards as result.
Several of them has Notes in their line entry, so you might see if you find your exact Tesla card there, and see if you should look up any particular setting for it to work.

In BIOS you will find a lot of PCIE settings under
Advanced > Intel RC Group > IIO Configuration. I do not know if any is relevant, just saying those are there.
You obviously need to know exactly what you are doing, and also know the socket ID of the PCIE cards you are using.

I did not see any power settings there, but that could be typical BIOS behaviour, not showing all options until you actually have a card in the slot, and I do not.
I cant see any option related to PCIE power delivery. The card is present and working x16 PCIE3. System is set to BIOS PERFORMANCE. Nothing change if I set to OS controlled. I can try disabling hyperthreading so less power goes to CPU and if that changes the GPU not to be in POWER THROTTLING state. I have already ordered two 750W PSUs. We will see.
I have also checked my Tesla P4 cards on my desktop platform under windows and card boosts to 1134MHz easily.

This is now either Debian or RH2288Hv3 power issue.

Will report any further discoveries.

Attachments

Last edited:

sp_00n

Feb 23, 2023
two 750W PSUs did not help, both on ubuntu and debian. I ran out of ideas here. Most probably Huawei RH2288 is not compatible with a GPU that does not draw power from additional 8 pin connector.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
two 750W PSUs did not help, both on ubuntu and debian. I ran out of ideas here. Most probably Huawei RH2288 is not compatible with a GPU that does not draw power from additional 8 pin connector.
I do have multiple P4 and a P40. I've read your thread on huawei forums. Safe your time. It does not work beside being noted in the manual. Tesla M work fine, starting with P they are being throttled no matter what you do. I initially thought my server was damaged.

---------------------------

Is any one able to download and provided latest version for RH2288Hv3 being released?

BIOS v522 - RH2288H V3 BIOS V523 Release Notes 01- Huawei
BIOS v402 - RH2288H V3 iBMC V402 Release Notes 01- Huawei
Expander - 5288 V3 5288 V3&RH2288H V3&RH2288 V3-12HDD-Expander-Backplane(BC1THBF02)-FW-V120.zip Download - Huawei

Reactions: creative3d

sp_00n

Feb 23, 2023
Hi, thanks for writing that. I just have ordered 8056+ fans. Manual says "it must be 8056+ fan if the GPU is installed". I invested so much money in Tesla cards, different CPUs and PSUs that I think I can just add a little bit more for the fans. Not counting time. These Huawei devices are great servers, but documentation is really bad. Did you try those performance fans?

Reactions: Xeroxxx

ILikeMilk

Jul 13, 2023
Register at the Huawei page then register you server with its serial number, and send a mail to their support to allow you access to the server documentation and files. As many of us already did.

and reply something like this

The only limitation I am aware of is later version of BIOS and iBMC, which we got here anyway.
Pretty sure I Got the same second hands from the same seller.

Have you had at any point that the fans all report major error and run at 100% capacity?

i’ve Got 2 of those from the seller, and both of them does it.

huawei told me either wrong fans, or original cpu was switched

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Pretty sure I Got the same second hands from the same seller.

Have you had at any point that the fans all report major error and run at 100% capacity?

i’ve Got 2 of those from the seller, and both of them does it.

huawei told me either wrong fans, or original cpu was switched
there are fans for up to 110W processors and others for > 110W

Your issue is that you installed a processor which TDP is higher than 110W

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Technically this happens as nihonjin mentioned with cpu replacement or added gpus.

However you can ignore that and overwrite the fans manually via SSH on the BMC.

ipmcset -d fanmode -v 1 0
ipmcset -d fanlevel -v 35

kold

Jun 27, 2017
Hello, is there anyone who has access to Huawei support site? I just got a RH2288H v5 and I need to update it firmware/bios. Looking for compatibility with Xeon 8259CL. 6.83 (U47) currently install doesnt support it. Thanks

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Hello, is there anyone who has access to Huawei support site? I just got a RH2288H v5 and I need to update it firmware/bios. Looking for compatibility with Xeon 8259CL. 6.83 (U47) currently install doesnt support it. Thanks
Having access to the support site is done by requesting it, as described by me in a post in this thread. However that wont give you the latest driver and bios updates. Also in this thread there a couple of posts with link to online resources, if they are still up. If not, well maybe someone can help you with that.

kold

Jun 27, 2017
Having access to the support site is done by requesting it, as described by me in a post in this thread. However that wont give you the latest driver and bios updates. Also in this thread there a couple of posts with link to online resources, if they are still up. If not, well maybe someone can help you with that.
Hi SecCon, thanks for your reply.
I requested access as a homelab user, which was denied by the european devision of Huawei. Maybe US division treats homelab users diffrently. Futhermore, I am looking for V5 not V3, so any files posted are not relevant.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Hi SecCon, thanks for your reply.
I requested access as a homelab user, which was denied by the european devision of Huawei. Maybe US division treats homelab users diffrently. Futhermore, I am looking for V5 not V3, so any files posted are not relevant.
I went directly to the Chinese support .Should make little difference , v3 or v5

jesmak

Jan 17, 2024
Hey guys i know this is not relevant to the rh2288v3 but though to ask maybe someone can help
I am looking for RH1288 V3 latest bios and IPMI, I am not able to download it via Huawei website as it require tech license which i dont have, I believe the latest version are below, if anyone have it and can share it would highly appreciate it, I am looking for these

RH1288 V3-BIOS-V521.zip

RH1288 V3-iBMC-V397.zip
RH1288 V3-4&8HDD-Backplane(BC1EHBD01)-CPLD-V108.zip

RH1288 V3 -Mainboard(BC1HGSC01)-CPLD-V112.zip

Thanks
Did you ever manage to get these?

I tried registering my RH1288 v3 with Huawei and the registration with S/N actually went through. I still wasn't able to download the files though so I contacted their support. After getting bounced around a bit I finally just got this answer:

"Hello,

Please note that the Serial Number XXXXXXXXXX is terminated and we kindly ask you to contact your local office for further support.

Thank you for understanding!

Have a nice day!"

So no luck in getting access to these files. I too would really appreciate if someone has these and could share them.

Zalouma

Aug 5, 2020
Did you ever manage to get these?

I tried registering my RH1288 v3 with Huawei and the registration with S/N actually went through. I still wasn't able to download the files though so I contacted their support. After getting bounced around a bit I finally just got this answer:

"Hello,

Please note that the Serial Number XXXXXXXXXX is terminated and we kindly ask you to contact your local office for further support.

Thank you for understanding!

Have a nice day!"

So no luck in getting access to these files. I too would really appreciate if someone has these and could share them.
Here you go, love to help, I uploaded everything in 1 file, this includes backpanel firmware, BIOS & BMC