HP S6500 and SL230s Gen8 - CRAZY deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I didn't ask about iLO but it'll be best to assume they don't include advanced keys. Pretty sure these have iLO4 chipset.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
If you are using SSDs you don't need to bother about sleds, just cables.
By sleds do you mean the quick release drive caddies that are used in the drive cage or were you responding to the water cooling ideas? I got confused on that one.

Water cooling sounds great but I'm guessing the cost would be prohibitive. The companies I know of that make data center cooling solutions like asetek and coolit don't have prices online that I can find. You could design and build your own but if the water block alone is going to run >$50 per socket (EK-Annihilator looks nice) then the whole setup is going be much more than the bare server itself.

themelon

Jan 26, 2016
By sleds do you mean the quick release drive caddies that are used in the drive cage or were you responding to the water cooling ideas? I got confused on that one.

Water cooling sounds great but I'm guessing the cost would be prohibitive. The companies I know of that make data center cooling solutions like asetek and coolit don't have prices online that I can find. You could design and build your own but if the water block alone is going to run >$50 per socket (EK-Annihilator looks nice) then the whole setup is going be much more than the bare server itself.
I may take a stab at making my own water blocks for these at some point.

Reactions: gigatexal

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
They also put up better pics on the listing. The cage shows all of the cabling I believe. That's a relief.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
I also have one of these, and i posted some good info about them

Updating the HomeLab – The HP S6500 – VDI Tech Guy

I had one of these running for months and even on the Power Saving functions these things whine up pretty easily... Sadly controlled by the ILO that seems to be more of the root of all evil when it comes to controlling the fans on this config.

I would be curious if someone was able to get it to be calm, mine typically ran between 18-20% then when a workload hit it would spin up to 35% on the fan speeds and if it was just the big fans probably not so much of an issue however the 1U PSUs love to spin up with them and those things add to the noise factor quite immensely... and as per previous comments this thing when booting is basically a JET at Takeoff (wear earplugs)

If the cables on the SAS are the same as the ones i got in the SL390s i did a mod on 4 of mine converting to 12Gb Connectors instead of the 6Gb connectors (used LSI SAS 3008 controller in em) Also i had 2 SL230s boards running in mine as well those seem to kick up the fans much faster than the 390s' altho they can carry Grid cards in them the beast was far too noisy and inconsistent for my household noise requirements...

If i had a good cheap colo for it probably would have kept it online, now sadly it sits like a brick out in my get rid of pile (weight makes it very hard to get rid of)

Reactions: J Hart

themelon

Jan 26, 2016
Has anyone that purchased over the weekend managed to get a shipping notification yet?

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com

I meant watercooling the mobo sleds not the drives, sorry for the ambiguity.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011

The drive carriers. They are different in the SL230s from the others. No hotswap in front.
The carriers just lock them in place and keep vibration down... however if you are not using Hard drives... just plug the cables into the SSDs and velcro them down.

Reactions: MiniKnight

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Just got my tracking number for both, they seem to be in one package total weight 300lbs.

Used UPS 3 Day Freight Non Guaranteed.

They're going by air!

themelon

Jan 26, 2016
Just got my tracking number for both, they seem to be in one package total weight 300lbs.

Used UPS 3 Day Freight Non Guaranteed.

They're going by air!
Same here. My one unit tips the scale at 147lbs. Scheduled to arrive on Friday.

themelon

Jan 26, 2016
I had this sitting in front of my door when I arrived home a couple of hours ago

ownCloud

Heatsinks shipped seperatly.

Now all I need is 16 E5-2660 CPU's and 128 8GB memory modules.

Reactions: cellcreator

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Any way for them to take 2x10GbE each node?
The mellanox qsfp cards will require a qsfp based switch usually mellanox owned or Cisco Nexus. to use the ether side of that switch u will need it be sdn/vpi capable and the Ethernet key (very spensive) then u can do 10/40gbe by default those switches do ipoib bit u gotta make sure it has opensm or u provide it some other way for the switch to be programmed

I have a sx6012 with the ether key BC I gotta hookup at mlnx who wanted me to do early vsan testing with it.
Take a look at the quickspecs for the sl230s :
http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04128238.pdf

Around page 25 it lists the 10GbE options for the FlexLOM slot or you can use whatever you want in the PCIe 3 .0 x16 slot on the other side.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk