HP S6500 and SL230s Gen8 - CRAZY deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

themelon

Jan 26, 2016
Don't regret it yet. Look at my blog post about the gen 8 noise issue. The gen 8s had a flaw with noise when the controller is not in HP mode rather than it mode this was a huge pissed off moment for me.

HPE Support document - HPE Support Center

Basically without HP br120i/230i and rbsu enables on the raid controller doesn't feed temp info to the Ilo which makes it loud.
I'm going to have to play with this when I get home. Although in the end I am not overly concerned as I am planning on building an enclosed, sound deadening rack for some of my gear.

Reactions: Cadal

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Don't regret it yet. Look at my blog post about the gen 8 noise issue. The gen 8s had a flaw with noise when the controller is not in HP mode rather than it mode this was a huge pissed off moment for me.

HPE Support document - HPE Support Center

Basically without HP br120i/230i and rbsu enables on the raid controller doesn't feed temp info to the Ilo which makes it loud.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Ah yes I remember reading about that in your blog. Meant to ask you about it but forgot.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I'm going to have to play with this when I get home. Although in the end I am not overly concerned as I am planning on building an enclosed, sound deadening rack for some of my gear.
Would love to see your project on sound dampening

H8ROADS

Oct 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I really liked the S6500 and SL390s blades, but the noise was a bit higher than I liked. Not terrible, but not ideal for me. The performance for the footprint was unbeatable for a home lab. Running vSAN with enterprise SSDs on Infiniband was screaming fast compared to NFS, even with the slow 6G controllers.

I ultimately decided to go another direction, but only because I had a pile of R715s at my disposal. #firstworldproblems

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll make you a great deal on the blade chassis and blades with the Infiniband/10G cards, and I'll even throw in a pile of hex core L5640s. It's literally collecting dust on my basement floor. Also, DaSaint's is probably available too - and if you're really looking for a deal ask me about buying both, we could probably throw them on a pallet and ship them together.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
I really liked the S6500 and SL390s blades, but the noise was a bit higher than I liked. Not terrible, but not ideal for me. The performance for the footprint was unbeatable for a home lab. Running vSAN with enterprise SSDs on Infiniband was screaming fast compared to NFS, even with the slow 6G controllers.

I ultimately decided to go another direction, but only because I had a pile of R715s at my disposal. #firstworldproblems

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll make you a great deal on the blade chassis and blades with the Infiniband/10G cards, and I'll even throw in a pile of hex core L5640s. It's literally collecting dust on my basement floor. Also, DaSaint's is probably available too - and if you're really looking for a deal ask me about buying both, we could probably throw them on a pallet and ship them together.
Not a fan of 1366 (sell trying to get rid of C6100s) but if you have 2011s is gladly take them off. Like your cards as well..

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
It is but C6220 is even better :p
haha not really, dell had a blunder with it, no sata 6gb speed. only the C6220 II does and it's a rarity. chassis and nodes have to both match too otherwise the nodes will POST but front panel health indicators will always be orange and fans will not ramp down. for those who would say they would buy C6220 for compute/network boot might as well just buy an S6500 chassis since all the front hot swap bays would be wasted.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
haha not really, dell had a blunder with it, no sata 6gb speed. only the C6220 II does and it's a rarity. chassis and nodes have to both match too otherwise the nodes will POST but front panel health indicators will always be orange and fans will not ramp down. for those who would say they would buy C6220 for compute/network boot might as well just buy an S6500 chassis since all the front hot swap bays would be wasted.
You could have 3 nodes on network boot whilst the last one takes all 24 front bays as a SAN. Can't do that with the 6500

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
You will be limited by the gigabit network ports. If you want to use all 24 bays on one node you will need two hbas. And very long breakout cables, that can go from one corner of the chassis to the other. Because way c6220 works is it passes the onboard ports through the midplane. And it only has 6 ports. Its not even worth doing. Anyway, one node having all 24 bays doesn't really make that node a SAN, more like NAS. An S6500 would actually be better for SAN if you used all the nodes in hyperconverged manner, even if bays aren't hot swap, you can put one in maintenance mode depending on the software, remove the node, swap drives, and boot back up. Not a huge inconvenience.

Last edited:

themelon

Jan 26, 2016
You will be limited by the gigabit network ports. If you want to use all 24 bays on one node you will need two hbas. And very long breakout cables, that can go from one corner of the chassis to the other. Because way c6220 works is it passes the onboard ports through the midplane. And it only has 6 ports. Its not even worth doing. Anyway, one node having all 24 bays doesn't really make that node a SAN, more like NAS. An S6500 would actually be better for SAN if you used all the nodes in hyperconverged manner, even if bays aren't hot swap, you can put one in maintenance mode depending on the software, remove the node, swap drives, and boot back up. Not a huge inconvenience.
This is basically my plan. I don't think it is going to be very difficult to make drive racks for the sleds that can hold a total of 8x 7mm or 9.5mm drives to connect to the SAS2308 controller. If you were ambitious enough I bet you could do it with 15mm drives as well. Combine that with an NVMe drive in the left PCIe slot and the Mellanox FlexLOM FDR card, one port in QDR IB mode and one in 10G Ethernet mode, and you would have a hell of a setup.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Stick FreeNAS on it and you can run it as a SAN. Technically.. And dual 10GbE cards cost like $40 each.
Doesn't the C6220 have dynamic drive allocation? I was under the impression you could just assign all the unused drives to a single node. That's what I've read, haven't been able to play with one myself.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
You may be right on that but I don't know if its a c6220 or c6220 ii feature. Patrick made a post somewhere on the forum that suggested the latter.

cellcreator

May 16, 2016
Hello,

I also ordered one unit of this machine and it arrived today. Unfortunately, the packaging materials were completely damaged, and some stuff might be missing.

Could anyone provide a list of items delivered with the chassis so I can contact with the seller? Could anyone give me some advice on dealing with such situation? Thanks!

Here are some photos of this terrible shipping:
Dropbox - HP_Proliant

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
Could anyone provide a list of items delivered with the chassis so I can contact with the seller? Could anyone give me some advice on dealing with such situation? Thanks!
What you have looks complete, except we can't see what you have for nodes. The system should have come with all 16 heat sinks (8 x #1 and 8 x #2 variants).

For those of you that are struggling to find a proper working SAS/SATA cable to enable the on-board H220i HBA, I managed to find the proper cable from HP. Here's the part numbers:

HP P/N: 657656-001
HP SPARE NO: 671338-001
HH P/N: 4N5Q4-01 D

I managed to find the cables on Amazon at a decent price of $39.50:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2FM3PC/

Pictures:

Yes, as already stated, you can severely bend the stock cable so that it barely squeaks by and fits when you slide the node into the chassis, but spending $40 on the proper cable is cheap insurance against breaking the stock one OR the motherboard connector over time. I don't understand why this cable is not listed in the QuickSpecs PDF for the sl230s, but whatever.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Stick FreeNAS on it and you can run it as a SAN. Technically.. And dual 10GbE cards cost like $40 each.
Doesn't the C6220 have dynamic drive allocation? I was under the impression you could just assign all the unused drives to a single node. That's what I've read, haven't been able to play with one myself.
Apparently not. At least for the 12xLFF. That just bit me in the ass big time. I wanted 2 nodes of 6 drives running hyperconverged software, and a third compute node. AFAIK, there are 3 drives per node. (And I'm not running raid5) so that's actually 2 drives per node.

Anyone wanna buy a loaded C6220?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Anyone who got this, can you report back on your experiences with setting everything up? How is the noise level when the onboard storage controller is set to IT mode?

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
C6220 I thought only on gen 2 had dynamic drive allocation.

Why is IT mode relevant to noise @frogtech ? Does it change loudness if it is IR?