How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

shpitz461

Sep 29, 2017
In case anyone wants to do the formatting in parallel, this is how you do it in linux (I'm running it currently on ProxMox, with a NetApp DS4246 I just purchased from eBay):
parallel -j0 sg_format --format --size=512 -e ::: /dev/sg{0..23}
This command formats 24 disks concurrently.
Format will be running in the background.
If you want to get status, this is the command to do so for all disks:
parallel -j0 sg_requests ::: /dev/sg{0..23}

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

hkdio

Feb 21, 2024
I got 5 DOPE1920S5xnNMRI

Please found firmware update for

This update is extracted from HPE_3PAR_INFORM_OS_RLS_3.3.2_QR482-11525.iso

You may use "SanDiskGuard Special Edition" to update firmware

1712288911106.png

However, I want to use Sandisk Generic SSD firmware instead of 3Par version.

Attachments

Reactions: mrpasc

soru

Apr 9, 2024
Hello i'm having a lot of trouble expanding my RAID 5 array on a p420i controller 6.6.8 in HPE proliant dll360p gen8. I have 5 slots with 1,2TB SAS from when i bought the server now i want to expand with extra 3 drives i bought from ebay taken from netapp server.

My hypervisor is esxi 6.7 wmware

I came across the switch to HBA mode on controller solution but the problem is this is my only storage option and switching to HBA requires an array delete = loosing all my data.

is there any method i can format the three drives so my controller can recognise them without loosing data?

Or should i just start calling IT shops until i find someone who can format them for me?

Can i add this card in my PC or server to use it to format the drives?

Any advice will help me and keep me from buying HP drives for 200€ each

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
I came across the switch to HBA mode on controller solution but the problem is this is my only storage option and switching to HBA requires an array delete = loosing all my data.

is there any method i can format the three drives so my controller can recognise them without loosing data?
In theorie you should be able to disconnect/offline/export/ or however it’s called in HP speech your existing RAID array, power down your server, physically disconnect your existing disks of the array.
Then switch your Raidcontroller to HBA, connect only the new disks. Boot a Linux from a stick which comes with sg3 utils (RescueLinux or something like that). Do your sg_format with your new disks. Power down, disconnect the new disks. Change controller back to RAID. Connect your existing disks. Import your raid array (import foreign configuration for LSI based ones, no clue how it’s called for the HPE ones, use google and manual). After you confirmed the existing array working (best to trigger a patrol read) power down again, add your new disks, power on and expand your array.
Myself would not try this whiteout a proper backup before.

soru

Apr 9, 2024
In theorie you should be able to disconnect/offline/export/ or however it’s called in HP speech your existing RAID array, power down your server, physically disconnect your existing disks of the array.
Then switch your Raidcontroller to HBA, connect only the new disks. Boot a Linux from a stick which comes with sg3 utils (RescueLinux or something like that). Do your sg_format with your new disks. Power down, disconnect the new disks. Change controller back to RAID. Connect your existing disks. Import your raid array (import foreign configuration for LSI based ones, no clue how it’s called for the HPE ones, use google and manual). After you confirmed the existing array working (best to trigger a patrol read) power down again, add your new disks, power on and expand your array.
Myself would not try this whiteout a proper backup before.
Would it not work if i boot linux from USB as is? sg3 utils canot target specific drives? Does the controler card need to be in HBA mode for sg3 to work?

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Would it not work if i boot linux from USB as is? sg3 utils canot target specific drives? Does the controler card need to be in HBA mode for sg3 to work?
You can give this a try, for sure you can target specific drives with sg3-utils. Unfortunately chances are high that the reformat will not work with a Raid card, several users reported issues when not using a HBA. But it’s your system and your data, so your decision.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
But the cost of the cable needs to be factored in.
To me, a 12Gbps card and cable is a better deal long term than a 6Gbps card that uses your already-purchased cable.

I think about the cost compared to the total price of the system, and for a "1x" item (like an HBA), spending a few dollars more total isn't a big deal when I have to buy 12x 10TB drives to connect to that HBA.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
To me, a 12Gbps card and cable is a better deal long term than a 6Gbps card that uses your already-purchased cable.

I think about the cost compared to the total price of the system, and for a "1x" item (like an HBA), spending a few dollars more total isn't a big deal when I have to buy 12x 10TB drives to connect to that HBA.
I agree. But a few members here would consider the cost of the cable to be a factor. I'm not one of them.

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Hi again folks.

Managed to get these drives for a really good price !

Do anyone know if they are formattable to 512b ?

IMG_20240417_193226.jpg

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Do anyone know if they are formattable to 512b
Depends on the firmware. They could be formattable to 512 with IBM controllers only OR they can be easily managed by any generic HBA. Give a try and share results
Some IBM branded HGST drives that I have in possession arrived security locked, but easily reformattable once foreign security config cleared.

Last edited:
Reactions: DouglasteR

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Depends on the firmware. They could be formattable to 512 with IBM controllers only OR they can be easily managed by any generic HBA. Give a try and share results
Some IBM branded HGST drives that I have in possession arrived security locked, but easily reformattable once foreign security config cleared.
Thanks, will try this weekend on my LSI HBA and report back.

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
Err, looks like i need help.

I can see them just fine, but can't format or sanitize either (disconsider the Micron, the drives in questions are the IBM ones).

Error in sg_format:
Cmd.PNG

Error in sg_sanitize:
Sanitiz.PNG

Error while trying to initialize the drive in Windows:
Format_error.PNG

The drive as seen by LSi Authority:
Lsi2.PNG

Any help with unlocking or anything to format them to 512 will be greatly appreciated !

Attachments

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
I guess that seller already tried to format them hence a good price...
Your LSI controller GUI doesn't look like an HBA, but 'unconfigured good' status means the drive is not security locked or formatted with PI. Try to format it with HUGO

Reactions: DouglasteR