How can I check SSD's TBW in ESXi?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

adminmat

Sep 1, 2019
I have an SSD mounted in an Dell Optiplex Micro running ESXi 6.7.0 with an Ubuntu VM. I just use a single SSD. I'd like to check the TBW of this SSD but the last mention I can find to do this in ESXi was in 2016. A tool on Virten.net that is no longer supported. I can't check SMART from Ubuntu since it's a virtual disk. I can't see how to do this in the ESXi browser GUI.

Output of esxcli storage core device smart get -d 'disk' just gives me some basic info. I'm looking for the TBW. I know I can calculate the TBW with: Total_LBAs_Written * Sector Size / 1024^4 = TBW

smart basic.JPG

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I'd like to check the TBW of this SSD but the last mention I can find to do this in ESXi was in 2016. A tool on Virten.net that is no longer supported.
If you mean smartmontools/smartctl, it was never supported by VMware but might work anyway. If the VIB no longer works, you can try downloading a static binary, extracting it in to the shell and running it: Latest smartmontools build artefacts

This will probably have changed what with ESX 7 but since you're still using 6.7 it might still work.

freddit

May 31, 2021
New York, NY
Just wanted to add a data point here. The smartmontools-linux-x86_64-static build from the link above worked for me on ESXi 7.0 U2a (build 17867351).