HOT Supermicro 1U E5 V1/ V2 2.5" $375!!!! w/ LSI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Loud is relative. In the world of 1U servers these will normally run at the quieter end. You definitely don't want them in your bedroom, probably not in your living room either - but in an office environment or garage/basement they won't be bad at all.

The price is really good. It's hard to source this MB alone for much less.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Yes, dual 2011 in 1u is maybe wrong for the living-room in general ...
I have a S1600JP Intel 1U that is surprisingly quiet, so these might be a bit louder ... depends on the load and fan-settings.

sno.cn

Sep 23, 2016
I've bought a few of these over the past month or so (and some storage controllers) from the same seller. They're in a server room, and don't make any more noise than the other 1U SM stuff in there. Shipping was fast and they've all arrived in great condition. There were some setups with 2x E5-2650/2660/2670 with 64GB right around $500 too.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
PSU replacement -- how long would it take?
Hmmm... this is a really interesting platform....

On the PSU - I can usually do these in 3-4 min. The better question is whether you can sell the board off and just have a spare chassis. The fan setup in these looks really nice.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
PWS-563-1H is 80+ Gold - why would you change it out? Even if you built a low power system and you went with a lower-power Platinum PSU you'd only save 5-10W max at idle, less at load.

Only issue I can see is that this model PSU does not have SM's smbus, so you don't get power readings via IPMI. Not really a huge loss.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
oh man I hate the fact that new and better things always pops up on ebay after I buy something :(
Just recently bought X9DR3-LN4F and I dont like how it sits inside my 836 chassis (cant use the shroud)
So tempted to get one of this and swap the mobo or something. Ebay give me 10% ebay bucks please!!!!!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
You are a smarter person than I! I was thinking in terms of field service rather than for higher efficiency.
Not smarter. I've just bought/retrofit a lot of older SM gear in the last couple of years and have become unreasonably familiar with which PSUs are which - which are crap that you want to get rid of, which are reasonable to keep and which are the highly desirable ones.

They are easy to swap - two screws and some care with the cables when you pull it out. Sometimes the PSU connections on the backplane are a PITA to disconnect, especially when the original integrator did a good job of dressing the cables.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Hmmm... this is a really interesting platform....

On the PSU - I can usually do these in 3-4 min. The better question is whether you can sell the board off and just have a spare chassis. The fan setup in these looks really nice.
PWS-563-1H is 80+ Gold - why would you change it out? Even if you built a low power system and you went with a lower-power Platinum PSU you'd only save 5-10W max at idle, less at load.

Only issue I can see is that this model PSU does not have SM's smbus, so you don't get power readings via IPMI. Not really a huge loss.
@Patrick nailed the angle I was looking at it from.

Not about changing it out 'now' but about servicing a dozen+ of these and cost to replace PSU as well as man hours involved vs. redundant/hot-swap(price up-front).

Chaosratt

Feb 7, 2013
Is the X9DRH-7F a good board for doing a dual-xeon setup? Most of the e6-2600 compatible boards are $400USD+ right now. I'm thinking maybe you could get this, swap the board into a larger case (for sound purposes, I have the 24bay supermicro), then find something else to do with the 1u chassis. It's likely to be louder than my dell R210 ii

SycoPath

Oct 8, 2014
Is the X9DRH-7F a good board for doing a dual-xeon setup? Most of the e6-2600 compatible boards are $400USD+ right now. I'm thinking maybe you could get this, swap the board into a larger case (for sound purposes, I have the 24bay supermicro), then find something else to do with the 1u chassis. It's likely to be louder than my dell R210 ii
Ya know, I might just have to buy one of these..... I didn't even think about scavenging the board... Would go great in my new Chenbro SliceStor and I could sell off my intel 12 bay.... hmmmm

Chaosratt

Feb 7, 2013
They don;t seem to be selling too fast, hopefully he still has some in a month or so. I went a little overboard with some stuff last month so now I have to sit out buying anything until after the new year.

Ellwood

Nov 20, 2016
I like the idea of a 1U, but I also like the idea of not having a server in the garage during our normal 100f+ summers. Any way to keep the 1U and make it quiet enough for a livable space?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I like the idea of a 1U, but I also like the idea of not having a server in the garage during our normal 100f+ summers. Any way to keep the 1U and make it quiet enough for a livable space?
Unlikely...and if you did you'd have replaced so much that only the ironwork would still be from this buy.

Chaosratt

Feb 7, 2013
Not that server, if you want a 1U that'll be *ok* for a living room, look at the Dell R210 II, I just updated the firmware on mine last night and swear it dropped down another peg on the fans when idle. I can hear it, but barely so. When my apt AC runs I can't hear it at all. If you stick it inside/behind something it'll be completely invisible. You can get the R210 II's completely decked out for the price of that listing.