HOT Supermicro 1U E5 V1/ V2 2.5" $375!!!! w/ LSI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Not that server, if you want a 1U that'll be *ok* for a living room, look at the Dell R210 II, I just updated the firmware on mine last night and swear it dropped down another peg on the fans when idle. I can hear it, but barely so. When my apt AC runs I can't hear it at all. If you stick it inside/behind something it'll be completely invisible. You can get the R210 II's completely decked out for the price of that listing.
I have a couple of 210 II's in the office here. They are very quiet for a 1U. Do realize that the hard drives are internally mounted. You get two 3.5 drives that take a bit of work to swap. I bought the tray that lets me mount two 2.5 drives in one of the spots.

I have not found a supermicro 1U chassis with 8 x 2.5 bays I would want in the room with me. The 1U's with 4 x 3.5 bays are a LOT quieter. I have one of the 1U's with no external bays in the office here mounted under the R210's and they are quiet too. They use lots of fans to move air when you cram 8 hard drives in the front of the case.

Nice price for the E5 box but it won't be cool and quiet.