Horaco 2.5GbE Managed Switch (8 x 2.5GbE + 1 10Gb SFP+)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

das1996

Sep 4, 2018
IMO, if buying any switch these days, it should at the bare minimal provide vlan capability. This will come in handy eventually.

Reactions: williamsdr

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
Just received my Sodola switch today. It came with firmware v1.3. I remembered this thread, so I quickly downloaded firmware v1.7 and upgraded the switch to that. So far so good. One thing to note, when you upgrade the firmware, the switch resets some of it's settings. I'm not sure if all settings are reset.

I enabled DHCP in the settings and after flashing the firmware, the switch reverted back to the default 192.168.2.1 subnet and disabled DHCP again.

*Edit*

I think I know why my settings didn't save the first time. When you enable DHCP and hit apply, it doesn't save the setting. You need to actually go to Save and save the change there, otherwise it'll revert back after a reboot. A bit odd, but at least I learned that early on before adding more settings.

Last edited:

das1996

Sep 4, 2018
^^That was one of the complaints on amz about it not saving settings. It would appear to be by design. One needs to manually save the settings before rebooting or updating fw.

Don't think it's a good idea to set the switch to dhcp. I keep all my switches and servers set to static ip's. No worries about them changing ip's for some bizarre reason. Or becoming inaccessible if the dhcp server is down.

Reactions: WeirdG

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
^^That was one of the complaints on amz about it not saving settings. It would appear to be by design. One needs to manually save the settings before rebooting or updating fw.
As far as I know, not writing changes you make to the config to flash until you actively tell it to is quite common on enterprise switches and routers. That's probably why the switch behaves like that, even though it cleary isn't an enterprise switch. :)

Reactions: Psycho_Robotico

WeirdG

Jan 14, 2023
As far as I know, not writing changes you make to the config to flash until you actively tell it to is quite common on enterprise switches and routers. That's probably why the switch behaves like that, even though it cleary isn't an enterprise switch. :)
It is... I think it's also the same when making changes to the firewall rules in Linux too.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Wow that was a load of bullcrap above :(

@Patrick

@versitron
Seems like it was a vendor essentially posting an ad about their products. While the user made some valid points, posting your own products as an alternative makes it hard not to question whether the concerns raised are actually credible.

I would think twice about using the AliExpress switches in a commercial environment, but if it's just your own apartment, house or condo I'd say they are likely to work fine.

Eviljay

Dec 27, 2023
I'm not sure if this thread is the right one for this question but somewhat fits within this switch scope.

My setup:
Sodola web managed 9 port switch w/ 10Gb SFP to RJ45.
Asus 6604T NAS (2x 2.5Gb NICs)
Computer w/ x540-t2 (2x 10Gb NICs)

Backstory:
On the Sodola site, it states you can bond two 2.5Gb to a NAS and should theoretically give you 5Gb transfer speeds. I have an Asus 6604T w/ 2x 2.5Gb nics running into this switch using CAT8.

On the switch, I created the trunk group for the two used ports.
On the NAS, I setup bonding with XOR to bond them. Also using two NVME 1Tb drives in RAID0.

The computer is connected to the switch with SFP 10G to the x540-t2. (Windows is registering 10Gb connection speed in preferences.)

Jumbo Packet is enabled across the board to match.

Question:
I'm not getting more than 298MB transfer from Windows to NAS. Is this because the chain cannot support it or because a piece within the chain is not configured correctly? (I'm assuming I should be getting around 400~480MB transfer speeds.

(These are the same speeds I received when using the built-in 2.5Gb NIC on the computer but now using the 10G card.)

JBI

Nov 29, 2023
I have a HORACO ZX-SWTGW218AS, ASUSTOR AS6706T and a computer with two 2.5Gb
ports. For home, you do not need to configure any Aggregation Channels on the switch. The cable is laid category 5E. It's enough to do this.
In the NAS, I checked the SMB multichannel checkbox and we get 5Gb/s
smb.jpgspeed.jpg

Eviljay

Dec 27, 2023
I have a HORACO ZX-SWTGW218AS, ASUSTOR AS6706T and a computer with two 2.5Gb
ports. For home, you do not need to configure any Aggregation Channels on the switch. The cable is laid category 5E. It's enough to do this.
In the NAS, I checked the SMB multichannel checkbox and we get 5Gb/s
View attachment 33382View attachment 33384
Thank you! This helps. What protocol was used when bonding the two NICs together?

JBI

Nov 29, 2023
Thank you! This helps. What protocol was used when bonding the two NICs together?
It's just that each adapter gets its own IP. The NAS also just gets 2 IPs. Everything is by default. There is no need to configure anything on the switches. You can also use an unmanaged switch. Everything is done by multi SMB in NAS.

das1996

Sep 4, 2018
True, but you can do multiple instances of iperf3. There's a parameter "-B" that binds an instance to a specific local ip address.

Eviljay

Dec 27, 2023
It's just that each adapter gets its own IP. The NAS also just gets 2 IPs. Everything is by default. There is no need to configure anything on the switches. You can also use an unmanaged switch. Everything is done by multi SMB in NAS.
@JBI You're not bonding the two NICs? Just the multichannel checkbox from the pictures above? Guess I was way over complicating it.

I was able to verify this worked. Had to reboot everything but now full speeds.

JBI

Nov 29, 2023
True, but you can do multiple instances of iperf3. There's a parameter "-B" that binds an instance to a specific local ip address.
I was unable to run testing with the -B option.
I run it on NAS: iperf3 -s
I run it on my computer: iperf3 -B 192.168.3.10 -c 192.168.3.11
Gives an error message. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

JBI

Nov 29, 2023
@JBI You're not bonding the two NICs? Just the multichannel checkbox from the pictures above? Guess I was way over complicating it.

I was able to verify this worked. Had to reboot everything but now full speeds.
Yes. There is no need to combine anything. You can even use an external USB 2.5 network card. I do not recommend using a dual 2.5 PCIe x1 card. She can't skip all 5Gbit at once.

das1996

Sep 4, 2018
I was unable to run testing with the -B option.
I run it on NAS: iperf3 -s
I run it on my computer: iperf3 -B 192.168.3.10 -c 192.168.3.11
Gives an error message. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
What error message?

Verify your ip addresses. From the above, the client ip is 192.168.3.10 (ip you want to bind instance to), and server is 192.168.3.11? Also verify you're using a version of iperf3 that actually supports -B. Execute iperf3 by itself to see available options.

JBI

Nov 29, 2023
What error message?

Verify your ip addresses. From the above, the client ip is 192.168.3.10 (ip you want to bind instance to), and server is 192.168.3.11? Also verify you're using a version of iperf3 that actually supports -B. Execute iperf3 by itself to see available options.
192.168.3.7 & 192.168.3.8 – client
192.168.3.10 & 192.168.3.11 – server
How should I set it correctly on the server and client?
iperf3 latest.Windows 3.1.3 and Linux 3.1.6

das1996

Sep 4, 2018
On the server side - you can also add the -D parameter for each server instance to run it as daemon rather than interactive.

iperf3 -B 192.168.3.10 -s
iperf3 -B 192.168.3.11 -s

On the client side

iperf3 -B 192.168.3.7 -c 192.168.3.10 <other options>
iperf3 -B 192.168.3.8 -c 192.168.3.11 <other options>