Horaco 2.5GbE Managed Switch (8 x 2.5GbE + 1 10Gb SFP+)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

villovil

Dec 1, 2023
^^I dare not apply that concept to updating my car's infotainment. Each new update seems to break/remove features. IE when I got the car originally it had a manual day/night/auto adjustment for display. After the first update, they took that away, auto only now. That's progress!!
Yeah. you have to keep a keen eye on those

netblues

Jul 27, 2018
Has anyone tried the 8 port version firmware on the 5 port?
I have ZX-SWTGW215AS which is 5 port with v1.3 and wouldn't like to brick it for fun

devast

Jun 28, 2023
The v1.7 firmware shared here is compatible with the xikestore variant of this switch, with a model number of: SKS3200M-8GPY1XF . I just upgraded, and it's working fine.

Reactions: GregZet

linuxgangster

Dec 10, 2023
I just got the SL-SWTGW218AS. I am struggling trying to figure out how to setup VLAN's on this. Specifically the PVID section

Here's my setup:

OpenSense Port 1 (WAN) ---> connected to FIOS
OpenSense Port 2 (VLAN) ---> connected to Port 2 on Switch
OpenSense Port 3 (USER) ---> connected to Port 1 on Switch
Wireless AP LAN1---> connected to Port 6 on Switch

I tagged port 1 and 6 with two VLAN's (10 and 20). I don't think this is working. Do I need to do something in the PVID section? What is this area for? I am still learning this VLAN stuff so if I am doing something ignorant feel free to call me out and help out ;)

Attachments

das1996

Sep 4, 2018
PVID refers to the default vlan for untagged inbound (into that port) traffic. I usually assign this to the same vlan as the tagged id.

Another example, I have an AP that allows assigning ssid's to different vlans. I use vlan id 3, 4, 5. However 4 is the pvid for that port. So an ssid NOT assigned to a vlan will its traffic associated with vlan 4 (for traffic coming from the AP) when passing through the switch.

Reactions: lordjakoby

tamuin

Oct 22, 2023
There is now a Managed 4+2Port edition out.

@kevindd992002 you might want to change the topic title to include 8Port?
The XikeStore version of this was also being sold over at Amazon. It was only instock for a few days around black friday for a similar price to aliexpress.

I bought the 8x2.5+10x1 version. I have not updated the firmware but others have posted that, for the 8x2.5+1x10 switches, they have successfully flashed the Horaco firmware to the Soloda and to the Xikestore versions.

Reactions: Sorandict

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
That one also claims DAC compatibility.
View attachment 33217
Rj45 transceiver.
Where did you see DACs mentioned? :)

While most of them work with DAC cables just fine even though the manufacturer doesn't advertise that fact, it would still be nice if some of them actually started to test that before releasing the product (or more likely, before the PCB designer releases the boards to the switch "manufacturers").

prdtabim

Jan 29, 2022
SFP+ to RJ45 Adapter is a DAC right? Because that uses copper Ethernet Wires.
No.

DAC = direct attach cable ( passive )
AOC =[ Active optical cable ( active )

The SFP+ to RJ45 is "Active" but using a copper interface instead of optical.

The SFP+ to RJ45 is more like the AOC cable.

Reactions: Haldi

AC613

Dec 19, 2023
Hi everyone. I'm not very familiar with setting up networks and was hoping someone can give me some help here. I think I bit off more than I can chew by getting a managed switch (SODOLA SL-SWTGW215AS 5 Port 2.5G). My objective was to create an isolated network with the SODOLA 5 port switch where all the devices on the 5 port switch can communicate with each other and connect with the internet, but can't communicate with any other devices on the network. I wanted to know if I even need to do anything or if I need to make some changes in the configuration vlan section to accomplish this. Also, I just got a new NAS (QNAP TS464) which has 2 x 2.5G ethernet ports and wanted to take advantage of the throughput of the QNAP with this switch as well. So far, I haven't made any changes to the settings on both the NAS and the switch, I'm getting terrible transfer speeds. Any suggetions as to what I should be doing would be appreciated. I have attached a diagram of my network for reference. Thanks,

Attachments

das1996

Sep 4, 2018
^^Your query is outside the scope of this thread. But in general, vlans on a switch will segregate traffic into virtual "lanes" (imagine concrete barriers between them). You still need supporting software to route the traffic from the vlans (to internet), and/or between vlans (cross over lanes where traffic on divided highways can move between lanes).

Most non consumer firewalls will allow this.. ie pfsense, opnsense, ubiquiti, etc. Consumer hardware is typically dumbed down to keep things simple. What is your current firewall/router?

JJ27

Oct 24, 2018
To achieve what you describe (and augment with the diagram) you need something that joins the different networks.
What you pictured is a physical diagram, which is ok, but the logical is what you're missing.

Let's assume that the networt that was already in place is defined as:

LAN1 -> 192.168.0.0/24 ---- Default gateway 192.168.0.1 (I assume is the modem/router that the ISP gives you)

And the second separated network is the one you want to achieve:

LAN2 -> 192.168.1.0/24 --- Default gateway -> This is missing

For that you need something that acts as a router between LAN1 and LAN2

In the Sodola, you need to define 2 VLANs, one for LAN1 (VLAN1) and the other for LAN2 (VLAN2)

So the configuration is similar to this

VLAN2 -> Ports 1 to 4 untagged
VLAN1 -> Port 5 untagged / Port 4 tagged

------
Do the same on the PVID section and assign the correct untagged VLAN to the ports (port 4 needs to accept both)

The key here is that there will be 1 port that can access both VLANs and that's where a router is needed, if you desktop is on 24x7 you could put a vm or if you use linux just enable ip forwarding.

Hope this helps you figure it out.

Last edited:

AC613

Dec 19, 2023
Thanks, the info provided is helpful. So it looks Iike a need a router to complete this. If the NAS on LAN2 is running 24/7, would I be able to put a vm on that to do the job?

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Thanks, the info provided is helpful. So it looks Iike a need a router to complete this. If the NAS on LAN2 is running 24/7, would I be able to put a vm on that to do the job?
potentially yes, but your NAS now need 2 more network ports to dedicate for the router function besides the normal usecase

AC613

Dec 19, 2023
I was also thinking of maybe returning this switch and getting an unmanaged one for my network to accomplish the same thing. Amazon has a version of 2.5G switch that is unmanaged with a vlan switch on it. I am wondering if this would simplify my task or if I will still need a router to set tup 2 LANS as described above?

1703032055077.png

JJ27

Oct 24, 2018
If you want 2 networks, you will need a router.
If you want a switch dedicated for high speed things, get the cheapest one and do just one flat network.

Option 3, buy the T-FAL pan.