Horaco 2.5GbE Managed Switch (8 x 2.5GbE + 1 10Gb SFP+)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

terencelzw

Aug 23, 2023
The switching capacity should just be at least the number of ports multipled by the respective bandwidth per port, no? If it's higher than that, what do we gain?

Yeah, I think so. So it will be more expensive. That switch you bought also has a managed version but I can't find it anywhere in Xike's website. Do you guys see it? REF: [aliexpress] ethernet switch: 2.5g, 8+1 port, Horaco brand, $127.84; see also amazon.ca - Page 5 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

When you say "request", is that through a firmware that they provide you to update with? I know the Horaco ones cannot be updated according to the Horaco seller in AliExpress.

And for which brand is this UI for?
Spoke to the seller and requested for them to install the switch with English UI instead of a Chinese one. So mine came with English UI out of the box

Reactions: blunden

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
Thats the xike variant. Here's a link: link
You can also use coupon code "980" at the checkout, for an additional $8 off.
edit: It's non-poe.
When I try using that code:

"The order amount(excluding shipping fee) is under the minimum spend of this promo code. Please apply another code."

And yes, I'm aware that the Xike one is non-poe. So I'm really gearing towards buying the Sirivision as long as I can maintain my patience with these Chinese websites, lol.

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
Just confirmed from the Sirivision S25G2109FP Alibaba seller that their switch has the Realtek 8373 + 8224 chipsets so I think it's a good one.

Reactions: blunden

JJ27

Oct 24, 2018
Will you be able to buy it from Alibaba site directly or use another 3rd party to buy/ship? I'm really interested in something like this Sirivision and the price is more than tempting, but to get that into Argentina will be like trying to reach the moon with a paper plane.
If the process is not that convoluted, will take the chance as I'll be traveling to the US in a month.

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
The seller will come back to me tomorrow with the shipping price to the Philippines but yes he said I can buy directly from Alibaba. So it's just a matter of me choosing the most economical shipping between direct or using my HK to PH forwarder. The unit price is $65, btw, if only one unit.

Reactions: JJ27

terencelzw

Aug 23, 2023
The seller will come back to me tomorrow with the shipping price to the Philippines but yes he said I can buy directly from Alibaba. So it's just a matter of me choosing the most economical shipping between direct or using my HK to PH forwarder. The unit price is $65, btw, if only one unit.
Nice that's an even better price than Taobao. Anw good to see fellow south east Asian around in the forum :)

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
The switching capacity should just be at least the number of ports multipled by the respective bandwidth per port, no? If it's higher than that, what do we gain?
Yes, they claim 60 Gbps total switching capacity and that's exactly what is needed for all ports at full bidirectional speed. It will probably be slightly lower than that based on reviews of other switches based on the same platform, but I doubt that you'll notice in practice with more realistic amounts of traffic. :)

I only mentioned it because it seems to be a way to tell the two Realtek switching platforms apart when you can't already do that from the port configuration. You don't gain anything from it being higher unless you want 5 x RJ45 + 2 x SFP+, like I do.

Reactions: kevindd992002

mrpburke

Sep 29, 2023
I just bought this switch a couple weeks ago and have a few VLANs set up and it's working.

One issue I am having with it is every day or so I lose access to the web management interface. Opnsense shows it as failed and it doesnt respond to pings. Weirdly, it does still function correctly and passes all VLAN traffic as it should. I've contacted the seller asking if there's a firmware fix for this or if I just got a bad switch and so far haven't gotten much back from the seller.

So yes it works. But plan on having to unplug and plug it back in about every day or so if you want to access the management interface.

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
I just bought this switch a couple weeks ago and have a few VLANs set up and it's working.

One issue I am having with it is every day or so I lose access to the web management interface. Opnsense shows it as failed and it doesnt respond to pings. Weirdly, it does still function correctly and passes all VLAN traffic as it should. I've contacted the seller asking if there's a firmware fix for this or if I just got a bad switch and so far haven't gotten much back from the seller.

So yes it works. But plan on having to unplug and plug it back in about every day or so if you want to access the management interface.
Can you confirm which switch exactly? There are a couple of switches being discussed here in this thread.

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
The only thing I dont like about these switches is the fact that they aren't firmware-upgradable, at least for the ones that I asked the manufacturers about.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
The only thing I dont like about these switches is the fact that they aren't firmware-upgradable, at least for the ones that I asked the manufacturers about.
From some of them comments it seems like there is an option to upload a firmware to it, they just haven't released any updates yet. Is that not the case for you?

Regardless, I wouldn't expect to see too many firmware updates for these switches anyway unless major functionality is broken.

Based on the hidden menus I found on my managed Hasivo switch (using a different management UI), these manufacturers might not even need their own developers. There were UI menus to upload a new logo and to change the company name, copyright year, default configuration, etc. In other words, they seemingly don't even need to recompile the firmware to change those. Still, there were some other assets inside the firmware image that weren't used and couldn't be uploaded that way, so they appear to at least be repackaging the firmware image contents at the very least.

Reactions: Haldi

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
From some of them comments it seems like there is an option to upload a firmware to it, they just haven't released any updates yet. Is that not the case for you?

Regardless, I wouldn't expect to see too many firmware updates for these switches anyway unless major functionality is broken.

Based on the hidden menus I found on my managed Hasivo switch (using a different management UI), these manufacturers might not even need their own developers. There were UI menus to upload a new logo and to change the company name, copyright year, default configuration, etc. In other words, they seemingly don't even need to recompile the firmware to change those. Still, there were some other assets inside the firmware image that weren't used and couldn't be uploaded that way, so they appear to at least be repackaging the firmware image contents at the very least.
Yeah, I know there is but the manufacturer said that this cannot be used, at least that's what I understood from our conversation. He's telling me that whatever firmware that my unit comes with will be the final one. But yeah, if there are no issues that need to be fixed then I'd be content. I just know that some of my Netgear managed switches had a couple of firmware revisions released throughout the years that I upgraded to but only when I see them, not really because there was an issue that I was trying to fix or anything.

dtw

Jul 11, 2022

I just got one of these managed Horaco 2.5G switches (ZX-SWTGW218AS) and it comes with firmware v0.6 dated July 18 2023. It also says hardware version is v1.1. Is that the same version you have? I'll see if mine becomes unresponsive as well...

mrpburke

Sep 29, 2023
I just got one of these managed Horaco 2.5G switches (ZX-SWTGW218AS) and it comes with firmware v0.6 dated July 18 2023. It also says hardware version is v1.1. Is that the same version you have? I'll see if mine becomes unresponsive as well...
That is the same FW and HW version I have.

Forgot to follow up here but I did figure out what was causing the issue.

I have multiple VLANs each with their own DHCP server. I had the DHCP reservation in the router to assign 192.168.1.3 to the switch but still had the switch DHCP Setting enabled. This was causing the switch to send a DHCPREQUEST to the other VLANs and I would then lose access to the dashboard.

Changing the switch DHCP Setting to disabled and setting a static IP fixed the issue. It's been up and running just fine for about a week now.

I did have them send me an updated FW version 1.3 but since I was able to get it working correctly I havent upgraded to the new FW.