Home cabling Cat7/8 and or Fibre?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Shadytrade, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Shadytrade

Shadytrade New Member

Hi all,

I recently purchased my first house and I am looking to cable the house with the latest and greatest cables I can find to make it some what future proof. I've never had to do any cabling of this scale before, so I am interested to here other peoples experiences.

Has anyone tried this recently? Can anyone recommend the following:
    • Cable brand
    • Face plates
    • Cable type (Should I use Cat6/7/8 and could I also do Fibre?)
    Cheers,

- Calvin

2. j_h_o

j_h_o Active Member

Run conduit everywhere so you can replace/re-run cable later.

CAT6 is probably sufficient -- even CAT5e will do 10GBase-T over short distances. How big is the house/how long is the longest cable run? Sure, you could do fibre -- what devices are you connecting and do they all do SFP+ or faster?

3. acquacow

acquacow Active Member

I'm all wired with Cat5 and 10gige, no issues here.

4. int0x2e

int0x2e Member

+1 on conduit.
    If possible, run a lot more cable than you think you need, you may need it in the future. Aim for 2 cables per drop, and at least 2 drops per room, ideally going higher in some areas (think TV / speakers / office). Also try for at least one ceiling drop per floor for a wireless AP (or even go with 2 or even more depending on your sqft).

Cat6a is probably worth the cost to get reliable 10G. Cat7 and higher is cool if you're not paying much extra, but likely not worth the upgrade.
    Either way - make sure you get solid copper and not CCA (Copper-clad Aluminium). There is a huge difference.

Fiber is great for trunking and *some* future-proofing beyond 10G. While it's not crazy expensive, it still isn't that cheap, so running it between your rack and office and/or between the utility drop and your rack would make sense, but running it everywhere is not necessarily worth it just yet.
    Multi-mode always initially seems more appealing (and MTP/MPO pre-terms make it very easy to get 8, 12 or even 24 strands for fairly cheap, making it possible to go to 40g and possibly 100g for relatively low cost) - always run a pair or two of single-mode fiber as well. Single-mode has been proven to be the only forward-compatible fiber infrastructure choice over the past few generations...

5. altmind

altmind Member

I doubt that you are using cat5 then. These days its hard to even find cat5 in typical office/home setups.

6. acquacow

acquacow Active Member

I have many spools lying around from my days in 98-2002 wiring datacenters. Trust me, it's cat5e plenum. All my runs are less than 60ft though.

7. altmind

altmind Member

Do you know there is Cat5 and there is Cat5e?

8. acquacow

acquacow Active Member

Did you miss the part where I said I wired datacenters?

Regular cat5 will do just fine for copper 10gige up to 50ft no problem as well.

nerdalertdk likes this.