Hitachi Harddisks Thread (5K3000, 7K3000, 7K2000)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IAPro

Oct 30, 2013
kryptex, I guess it make sense... I just did not expect so many bugs but like everything else, these components are getting increasingly complicated..

So in other words, before I move my Hitachi's 5k3000 to my new M5016 controller, I should probably flash their firmwares...
It may be wise to try them as-is with the existing firmware and updating if you have problems. You do always run some amount of risk of bricking drives when updating the firmware. In the case I documented above, I decided to update because the drive was exhibiting strange behavior when closely examined.

A case can also be made for updating firmware to make sure all of the drives match. The big storage companies (Dell, HP, EMC, Netapp, etc) do this routinely with their own custom firmware but in those cases the drive firmware is a component within complete, stringently tested systems with all individual hardware and software components sourced, assembled, sold/resold and supported entirely by one company.

IAPro

Oct 30, 2013
Crossflash HP HUA723020ALA640 to Hitachi FW?

So I just bought on eBay a HUA723020ALA640 (2TB Ultrastar 7K3000) without looking closely enough to see that it is the HP version of the drive. I was thinking, "no big deal, I'll just flash the Hitachi firmware to it", until I saw that the part number is 0F14994 instead of the 0F12455 number that the drive usually is. I think I'm going to try to flash the 0F12455 firmware to it anyway as an experiment since the price was quite reasonable, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this. If not I'll try it and report results.

BTW, I have the firmware and DOS mode flash utility that I can confirmed worked perfectly on the HUA723020ALA640's (P/N 0F12455) that I already have, PM me if you're interested.

hax21

Mar 3, 2014
Hello,

for those that are looking for firmware for the HUA722020ALA330 (Ultrastar A7K2000, modell 0F10452), its here:
Download hitachi.zip
It includes firmware 3EA and 3MA. If you have firmware below 3EA you need to upgrade to 3EA first and then to 3MA.

hitaman

Mar 6, 2014
Hello,

I bought a HDD Ultrastar 7k3000 HUA723020ALA641 yesterday and i noticed that a stick-on label with date june 2012...my firmware is MK7OA8407XB8...is it the last firmware?

I noticed too that the performance of this disk is less than Seagate ST2000DM001...benchmark on HD Tach (SATA 2)

My Bench:

Last edited:

pnerd

Jul 16, 2014
Can anyone repost the A10 firmware for the 7K3000 3TB? The mega link previously posted by kryptex is no longer valid. The links for the A10 5K3000 3TB are still working and I have updated my 5K3000 3TB drives successfully using HiTest and would like to update the 7K3000 3TB. Thanks for anyone who can help!

Hey Brian,

Here you go for the A10 firmware for 7K3000 3 TB. It works great for me:
MEGA

Keep me updated,
Best regards !

Last edited:

pnerd

Jul 16, 2014
Thank you kryptex! I downloaded the DOS archive and used the WinXP32 installer (from previous 5K3000 download) and updated 4 drives successfully.

MyKey

Aug 5, 2013
I've got a few hua722020ala330 HGST model 0f10949 revision jpk21n. Any firmware updates for this HGST model as I noticed none in this thread match the HGST model number. I believe it would be 21n,33b or 33n. The identify command gives me ns or something like that so I think these are an unknown vendor to me.

smounche

Sep 8, 2014
Hi there,

When going to Device manager in my win 7 computer, this are the details i get for my
2 TB Drive:

Hitachi HDS5C302 AAB0

Can someone please tell me how can i update my hard drive firmware?
I think it's a 5K3000 model

Edit: How can one identify the model of a Hitachi hardDrive?
Edit #2: Found the details:
Hitachi HDS5C3020BLE630
Firmware: MZ40AAB0

Last edited:

kryptex

May 13, 2011
Hello,
I think there is no firmware available for these newer (1TB/platter) models from Toshiba/Hitachi.
A bit of history, in order to have a clearer picture:
Before Toshiba took over the 3.5" production line from Hitachi, the Hitachi drives had a density lower than 1TB/platter and old 512-byte sectors (the 7K3000/7K4000 and 5K3000/5K4000 models). These models had a denomination HDSxxxxxxALxxxx and had firmwares usually ending in 580, 5C0, 800 or A10. We had access to these firmwares and could easily upgrade/downgrade.

Around the time Toshiba took over, the drives switched to 4K sectors and 1TB/platter density, with model names Hitachi HDSxxxxxxBLxxxx and firmware ending in AB0 ("Hitachi" is still shown in the OS, but we can see Toshiba branding on the physical drives). Since then, no more firmwares available for these drives. Later on Toshiba updated the model names reported to the OS to Toshiba DT01ACAxxx (7200 rpm) and DT01ABAxxx (5700 rpm) and newer firmware BB0.

So yeah, since Toshiba makes these drives, no more luck with firmware updates it seems...

Last edited:

smounche

Sep 8, 2014
That's sad.. i was sure there was a Firmware update for my drive.. i felt like he needs it, with all the problems it gave me lately.. :(

Thank you kryptex For the Information.

smounche

Sep 8, 2014
Since Installing the hard driver on my win 7 computer at home every couple of hours the screen froze, and i need to do
a hard reboot.. i know it's the hard drive because before installing it had no problems..
it's a win 7 64bit machine , intel I5. 8 gig ram, it's a good machine did a fresh install of windows.everything else works fine..
latest BIOS, latest Drivers, it's an Intel motherboard not a shitti one ..
Bios is set to ACHI. all is good only twice a day i need to press the reboot button

kryptex

May 13, 2011
Send us a SMART report of the drive in question (with HD Tune or CrystalDisk Info). Make sure all parameters are visible in the snapshot.

kryptex

May 13, 2011
Install HD Tune, go to Health tab and take a screenshot (there is a floppy button to save a snapshot). But first make sure that you stretch the window along the vertical direction, so that all parameters are seen.

kryptex

May 13, 2011
There are no reallocated sectors or anything more serious, but the drive developed Interface CRC errors, meaning that there is a bad SATA connection between the HDD and the motherboard (81 such errors occured, which are most probably translated into the "freezes" that you encounter). It could be a bad SATA cable or a problematic SATA controller.
I would first change the SATA cable and make sure to connect to the Intel ports on the motherboard. Some SATA ports on a lot of motherboards are usually controlled by 3rd party controllers, such as Marvell. So I'd check the manual and connect to SATA 0 or SATA 1 ports (Intel). Also, make sure to have the latest BIOS and latest Intel RST drivers installed. You should also keep an eye on the RAW value of Interface CRC errors in SMART, it shouldn't increase beyond the current value 81. If it does, there is still bad communication between the HDD and the motherboard.