EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
When i added some sas 2tb drives i had a 6tb sata drive go missing on reboot and timeout in logs. Was pretty weird as it showed up fine when swapping it with another populated slot in the 4u60.

Im running mine on debian/openmediavault 3 and using mergerfs (drive pool plugin on omv) and snapraid. Drives formatted in ext4. Allows jbod pool with dual parity. Right now using 6gb/s ext sas card but trying to get a lsi 9300-8e to work and screwing with its firmware and bios on sas card to try to get past post screen (issue with bios of server on boot)
I may have to chat with you. I've thought about going with Debian n MergerFS but going OMV since it's basically Debian might be the easier option. Is OMV 3 stable yet? Was hoping they would do a GUI refresh for V3 :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
I may have to chat with you. I've thought about going with Debian n MergerFS but going OMV since it's basically Debian might be the easier option. Is OMV 3 stable yet? Was hoping they would do a GUI refresh for V3 :(
Havnt had a problem with it at all and using it from pretty early on. Mergerfs is pretty efficient with speeds. I use the underlying debian os a lot through ssh command line because im used to it from many years of linux but pretty much everything can be handled through the omv ui as far as storage and most simple setups. No drive number limits like you are running into. As many parity in snapraid as well. No cache drive setup like unraid has though so you are limited to hd speeds. Plus snapraid is snapshot raid so has to be run to update your snapraid parity (fine for video) The plugins like plex, sabnzbd, bittorrent servers, sonar, couchpotato etc are nice to have for quick setup.

If you are a windows only guy there is a pretty big learning curve when you end up with an issue or need some custom functionality

Last edited:

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Am I the first with problems with the case? Yesterday all drives were gone!! I needed to pull the plug and reinsert it. Then the case used about 1 hour the fans at 100%. Even the case was completely cold /even before I started it the drives were not hot. So I unplugged the case again but now for about 10-20 minutes and then it worked normal again.
Send a message to reddit user - u/Linker3000 - he works on these hgst 4u60 units all the time and may be able to shed light on your issue.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Am I the first with problems with the case? Yesterday all drives were gone!! I needed to pull the plug and reinsert it. Then the case used about 1 hour the fans at 100%. Even the case was completely cold /even before I started it the drives were not hot. So I unplugged the case again but now for about 10-20 minutes and then it worked normal again.
Where they gone or offline? Not sure what OS you have got, but now and again in my setup (Windows + drivepool) sometimes some of the disks come up offline and I have to bring them online again manually. I am reasonably sure they aren't failing since its not always consistent both in terms of it happening and the disks that are presented offline. Its not bothered me enough to troubleshoot.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
With that last comment, it made me curious out of us that bought these chassis, what has everyone filled them with as far as disks? What OS? What kind of workload are you using them for?

I for one have some running on Server 2016 and some are running unRAID. As much as I like the GUI of unRAID, it doesn't scale well as far as maxing the drive limits of this chassis out so I'll most likely move everything over to Server 2016.

I'm using mine purely for media storage for Plex.
I use Windows 2012r2 with drivepool and snapraid with a combination of 3TB Toshiba, 5tb Toshiba, WB 4TB red and 5Tb WB red in that chassis. This is joined up to my main media server.

mrseth1

Apr 19, 2016
With that last comment, it made me curious out of us that bought these chassis, what has everyone filled them with as far as disks? What OS? What kind of workload are you using them for?

I for one have some running on Server 2016 and some are running unRAID. As much as I like the GUI of unRAID, it doesn't scale well as far as maxing the drive limits of this chassis out so I'll most likely move everything over to Server 2016.

I'm using mine purely for media storage for Plex.

Running OMV3 on mine with a 12 x 3T HDD RAIDZ2 ZFS Pool for regular data, and a 12 x 512G SSD RAID10 BTRFS for VMData. I prefer BTRFS cause it's faster and the COW but RAID56 is still being worked on. My RAID Pools are by 12 cause of the 12x rows in the shelf.

Data pool is mainly for Plex, and backups.
VMPool is for ESX NFS Datastore over 10G Network.

I'm using a 12G IBM M1215 (Flashed with latest LSI IT Mode firmware) connected to a Startec Dual SFF-8643 to Sff-8644 mini-sas adapter for external connection to the shelf with the QSFP to Mini-SAS HD (SFF-8644) Cables. The Shelf has been rock solid so far. Love it!

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
Where they gone or offline? Not sure what OS you have got, but now and again in my setup (Windows + drivepool) sometimes some of the disks come up offline and I have to bring them online again manually. I am reasonably sure they aren't failing since its not always consistent both in terms of it happening and the disks that are presented offline. Its not bothered me enough to troubleshoot.
No all drives were gone. I also got Windows + Drivepool with some TBs. Except this event everything works fine.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
A blackout just happened, had an apc ups attached to both host and enclosure,
it did auto shutdown the host, but now once it's back on the host is not recognizing the enclosure.. it came up empty in server manager.. any idea why?

Edit : a single reboot fixed it, phew
My guess is that the host boot first then followed by enclosure, the correct order should be the other way around... maybe it's why the sas card didn't recognize the enclosure

Last edited:

linker3000

Mar 9, 2017
Send a message to reddit user - u/Linker3000 - he works on these hgst 4u60 units all the time and may be able to shed light on your issue.
Hey, this message thread came up in an unrelated web search so I thought I'd drop by!

I worked alongside the team that supported the 4U60, but left HGST at the end of Feb 2017 for a job elsewhere so I no longer see the guys daily.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Anyone running 8TB WD Reds in the HGST chassis?

I put 16 of the 8TB Reds in mine and ran all the usual tests even though they were brand new. Put them in unRAID and copied a bunch of data to them. Everything went fine writing data. I noticed an issue when I tried to read that data. It would only transfer at about 45 MB/s. I thought WTF? Happen to look at the smart data and saw hundreds of "Ultra DMA CRC Errors" on any drive I tried to transfer data from.

Did a process of elimination and changed the LSI SAS2 card, changed the QSFP to SFF-8088 cable, swapped the drives around in the slots, even swapped the chassis SAS controllers from one side to the other, from this chassis to that chassis. Same problem showed back up each and every time.

Tossed some of my 2TB drives in with those 8TB drives and the 2TB drives transfers at full speed with no errors. Did one final test and wiped the drives, hooked them up to my windows Server 2016 machine and the same thing happened again, constant Ultra DMA CRC Errors. No clue WTF is going on. Just thought I would ask and see if anyone noticed anything strange with these chassis and the WD/HGST 8TB drives.

Just something about these chassis and the 8TB Reds don't seem to be playing well together.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Anyone running 8TB WD Reds in the HGST chassis?

I put 16 of the 8TB Reds in mine and ran all the usual tests even though they were brand new. Put them in unRAID and copied a bunch of data to them. Everything went fine writing data. I noticed an issue when I tried to read that data. It would only transfer at about 45 MB/s. I thought WTF? Happen to look at the smart data and saw hundreds of "Ultra DMA CRC Errors" on any drive I tried to transfer data from.

Did a process of elimination and changed the LSI SAS2 card, changed the QSFP to SFF-8088 cable, swapped the drives around in the slots, even swapped the chassis SAS controllers from one side to the other, from this chassis to that chassis. Same problem showed back up each and every time.

Tossed some of my 2TB drives in with those 8TB drives and the 2TB drives transfers at full speed with no errors. Did one final test and wiped the drives, hooked them up to my windows Server 2016 machine and the same thing happened again, constant Ultra DMA CRC Errors. No clue WTF is going on. Just thought I would ask and see if anyone noticed anything strange with these chassis and the WD/HGST 8TB drives.

Just something about these chassis and the 8TB Reds don't seem to be playing well together.

Mine consists of 6tb and 8tb red drives.. i think i was getting more than 45MBps, it was close to 80MBps at some point.. (i had to limit the copying speed because of this) never check smart status though.. my card is the Dell SC8000, other difference is i'm using NTFS

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
It would be nice to hear from someone who can shine a light on why the specifications for this chassis state SAS drives only as far as I can remember, whereas we all know that SATA work fine (for the most part).

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Have 36 WD RED 8TB drives in mine. Use it as a JBOD so no RAID. For me they work without issues.
Succesfully used LSI 9210/11 and 9207 based controllers with the chassis and same drives in the past. Using a LSI 3008-8E controller now.
That's strange all yours are working fine. I'll have to update the firmware on the chassis and try it again.

Have you updated the firmware on your chassis or is it running the same version as when you purchased it?

I might also try a different model of LSI SAS2 controller and see if it changes my results.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I had no luck with getting the firmware updated. If anyone reading through this has successfully updated the firmware on these units, please shoot me a message, I need a hand holding to try and get this completed. I'm sure I'm over complicating a simple task but I can't seem to get it done. Thanks!!

Edit: Finally got the firmware updated on my units to 4.2.5 but the issue with my 8TB Reds persists. Gonna have to find another controller and see if that is the culprit. Was hoping it was the chassis firmware :(

Last edited:

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Edit: Finally got the firmware updated on my units to 4.2.5 but the issue with my 8TB Reds persists. Gonna have to find another controller and see if that is the culprit. Was hoping it was the chassis firmware :(

Is it worth checking other people's firmware to see if a **downgrade** is required. You never know...

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
How do i check firmware on this thing in Linux? It is working great so im hesitant to mess with it all. You know the ole "upgrade" into breaking it.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Is it worth checking other people's firmware to see if a **downgrade** is required. You never know...
I was on the original firmware 0210 it shipped with. 0425 did nothing for me. Ended up being my SAS card that was not liking these drives. I pulled out an older card, 8 port internal (Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8), and did some hinky external to internal conversion "spaghetti cable mess" just to try a different controller and it worked ok.

So it's not just that specific card as my other two of the same model experienced the same issue. So it's that model of card (LSI SAS9201-16e) and probably more importantly, the firmware on those cards. I updated the firmware maybe a year ago on those. I'll have to check and see if there is another update or others seeing the same issue on that specific card. Or more likely I'll just replace it with a SAS3 card.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
How do i check firmware on this thing in Linux? It is working great so im hesitant to mess with it all. You know the ole "upgrade" into breaking it.
If you haven't upgraded yet it's probably will 0210. But to check, make sure you have sg3_utils installed and run:

sg_scan -i | grep -i 4u60 -B 1

And it should list out both controllers and their firmware version, assuming both controllers are connected at the time.

Reactions: Gene

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
I had no luck with getting the firmware updated. If anyone reading through this has successfully updated the firmware on these units, please shoot me a message, I need a hand holding to try and get this completed. I'm sure I'm over complicating a simple task but I can't seem to get it done. Thanks!!

You might want to try contacting hgst technician in your country as well, they were quite responsive in my case, i submitted a ticket in their site about shutdown possibility and they called me explaining everything in details. You will need to register your chassis S/N in their website first.