EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Thanks, i guess my old UPS is still good enough for auto-shutdown.. Don't plan to keep it online during blackout..
BTW, the sparepart price kinda worries me, just googled the psu part no, 1EX0081, some are listing it at $2500.. ouch..
even the HD minisas cable, 1EX0150 costs $480..

PSU is the one that will wear out first i suppose..
I suppose there's also PSU alternative out there ?

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I don't know about alternatives. I've seen these (non HGST) chassis or chassis that look identical with many different set ups so who honestly knows. I only run mine off one PSU so I guess down the road if one dies, I have one as a spare. Plus unless HGST denies the warranty, they should carry five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
I found it odd that there is no on/off switch. I wouldn't pull the plug while actively using any of the disks, but that is how you shut this jbod off.

Reactions: Benten93

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
I contacted hgst singapore a while ago and they said the newer board supports shutting down, mine is the older version though :(

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
To me there isn't really a difference between shutting down and pulling the power plug.

Let's assume you have a normal windows desktop and you click on shutdown, the OS goes through parks the heads unmounts the drive and kills the power.

Now with the JBOD you shutdown your host machine whatever OS it may be and it goes through and parks the heads and unmounts the drive and kills the power to itself leaving the JBOD idle. I just have mine connected to a PDU and I flick the switch and shut it down. So I do have to flip the actual switch but the end result is the same.

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
Am I the first with problems with the case? Yesterday all drives were gone!! I needed to pull the plug and reinsert it. Then the case used about 1 hour the fans at 100%. Even the case was completely cold /even before I started it the drives were not hot. So I unplugged the case again but now for about 10-20 minutes and then it worked normal again.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Am I the first with problems with the case? Yesterday all drives were gone!! I needed to pull the plug and reinsert it. Then the case used about 1 hour the fans at 100%. Even the case was completely cold /even before I started it the drives were not hot. So I unplugged the case again but now for about 10-20 minutes and then it worked normal again.
Mine's been running for about a month now, no problem so far, are you sure it's not HBA card problem? which HBA card are you using? I heard Some hba card loses connection when it gets too hot

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
Not a HBA problem. Interesting was also if I pulled the cable from the case. The cable led was still active on the pulled port. And if I put it into an other port only the old port led was active. But well I think the case was running over 6 Months now without a problem / restart.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I had a drive go missing a few days ago. I thought it was Server 2016 that goofed hobbit it's possible I had a similar issue. Although to be fair, I haven't updated the firmware on these chassis.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Anyone got "insufficient resources exist to complete the api" when measuring using drivepool?
I begin to suspect this is hardware issue, read similar cases and mostly driver issues...

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Anyone got "insufficient resources exist to complete the api" when measuring using drivepool?
I begin to suspect this is hardware issue, read similar cases and mostly driver issues...
If your referring to Stablebit Drivepool, I ran for about a week with 24 disks and never had that issue although I wasn't using duplication.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
With that last comment, it made me curious out of us that bought these chassis, what has everyone filled them with as far as disks? What OS? What kind of workload are you using them for?

I for one have some running on Server 2016 and some are running unRAID. As much as I like the GUI of unRAID, it doesn't scale well as far as maxing the drive limits of this chassis out so I'll most likely move everything over to Server 2016.

I'm using mine purely for media storage for Plex.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Yes Stablebit Drivepool.. Did you use measuring ?
Even the devs couldn't figure it out
Migrating 40 TB ext4 file - General

I have 16 Gb of RAM and not even half-used
Could also be my Dell SC8000 controller..

Hmm how does unraid fare with drivepool? Will consider switching to unraid if i can't solve this

Last edited:

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I recall clicking on remeasure the pool multiple times and didn't have an issue. I did have issues with Scanner keeping my drives awake. It would randomly wake them up and working with Chris, we couldn't track it down so it went to Alex as well.

Also had a couple issues with Drivepool not allowing me to remove a drive. It would tell me something along the lines of I didn't have permission. Can't recall the exact message.

I like Stablebit products but it seems to me that Alex is either really slow these days or that Drivepool and Scanner are not being that actively developed anymore. Seems a lot of issues receive the "Alex has been really busy with Cloud Drive". I really like Chris but I'm growing tired of waiting for issues to be corrected by Alex.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I like unRAID for a couple of reasons. First let me say this is purely my opinion based on my specific use case on my specific hardware. Sorry, I get a lot of hate for my unRAID comments on Reddit for this:

In my opinion unRAID has a nice user friendly GUI. It makes things about as simple as using windows. I don't recall ever seeing the sporadic transfer speeds I have always seen with windows. On unRAID my transfer starts by saturating my gigabit network and ends saturating that link without the constant up and down like in windows. Don't know why, it just works.

My biggest complain about unRAID is the fictitious drive limits Limetech puts in place even on their pro license of which I own several. Currently you can have 28 data + 2 parity in the array. LT will sell you on unlimited device BS but what I posted is the actual made up limit. You can add a cache array of up to 24 drives for whatever reason but they will not be part of the main array. Then you can have unassigned devices. They really need to get out of 2005 and get rid of these silly limits. They are asking full fledged OS prices aka retail windows 10 prices but they operate they like a damn start up with free open source products. I shake my head at their lack of business experience.

My other issue is unRAID isn't really sure what they want to be anymore. They were once a NAS OS, now they kinda want to be a hypervisor they kinda want to be a Docker engine. I mean pick a damn direction and go with it. I use unRAID simply as a NAS so these built in limits get under my skin.

It wouldn't be so bad except that our chassis can only connect to a single host at a time meaning I can't really run two unRAID head units connected to one chassis. So I have begged and pleaded with LT to let us run multiple license keys on one install aka multiple arrays. They prefer to wander around trying to figure out what they want to be.

So if you went with something like unRAID just know upfront you can't fully populate your chassis with one array like you could going with Windows or some other OS. They have a specific sized sandbox and they know what's best for you so you dare never question them.. Off my soap box now :)

carpenike

Mar 27, 2011
I'm using mine with ZFS striped mirrors inside of a Napp-IT appliance in ESX with passed through HBAs. I have a few pools, some for media storage and some for VMs. It's been solid since I installed it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
I had a drive go missing a few days ago. I thought it was Server 2016 that goofed hobbit it's possible I had a similar issue. Although to be fair, I haven't updated the firmware on these chassis.
When i added some sas 2tb drives i had a 6tb sata drive go missing on reboot and timeout in logs. Was pretty weird as it showed up fine when swapping it with another populated slot in the 4u60.

Im running mine on debian/openmediavault 3 and using mergerfs (drive pool plugin on omv) and snapraid. Drives formatted in ext4. Allows jbod pool with dual parity. Right now using 6gb/s ext sas card but trying to get a lsi 9300-8e to work and screwing with its firmware and bios on sas card to try to get past post screen (issue with bios of server on boot)

No other issues with the 4u60 in 3 or 4 months of use. Rock solid so far. I talked to a HGST tech that works on these on reddit let me see if i can get his username for the guy having issues

Edit: User u/Linker3000 is the guy who works on these a lot. I recommend you shoot him a message on reddit. Hes really active

Last edited: