HGST 1ES0085 Storage Enclosure Rackmount - 4U60 60 x 3.5" Drive Bay w/ carriers $750

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
HGST 1ES0085 Drive Enclosure - 4U Rack-mountable - 60 x HDD Supported - 60 x Total Bay - 60 x 3.5" Bay - 12Gb/s SAS - Cooling Fan NTAA 512E ISE
MPN:1ES0034
UPC:252995626066

*QSFP+ Connectors are NOT included, you will need to get them and they can be pricey.

*220-240v autoranging

*Rail Kit Included
*Cable management included

The HGST 4U60 Storage Enclosure is a high-density, scalable, and cost-effective design, in a 4U enclosure. It offers 2x2x4-lane SAS 12GB/s performance, high availability (HA), and hot-swappable components. The design is targeted towards data centers that need a dense solution with HA capabilities, while maintaining a low power profile.
Product Name: 4U60 Storage Enclosure
Product Type: Drive Enclosure
I/O Expansions
Number of 1.8" Bays: No
Number of 2.5" Bays: No
Number of 2.5"/3.5" Bays: No
Number of 3.5" Bays: 60
Number of 5.25" Bays: No
Number of Total Expansion Bays: 60
Interfaces/Ports
Host Interface: 12Gb/s SAS
Physical Characteristics
Cooling Fan: Yes
Depth: 38.7"
Form Factor: Rack-mountable
Height: 6.9"
Rack Height: 4U
Weight (Approximate): 93 lb
Width: 16.7"
Technical Information
Number of Hard Drives Installed: No Drives installed
Number of Hard Drives Supported: 60
Total Hard Drive Capacity Installed: 0 TB No Drives installed

*NO HARD DRIVES INSTALLED

*Systems are brand new

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
Previous thread that I kinda hijacked EU - HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

We have 9 Chassis' (one chassis has 47 carriers, the rest all have 60)

Domestic Shipping is 140 for one chassis, and about 70 per chassis thereafter, in the lower 48 in the US.
International shipping is from 400 to 700, you know your country better than me on what it'll cost, but I can get quotes and generally multiple chassis will get discounts.

I can offer discounts on multiple purchases

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
If it was in EU.....

shipping over the pond is a killer ! ;-)

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
Also if these weren't as awesomely heavy as they are 149lbs loaded on a mini pallet for a single jbod! If you were in the market for 3 I think the cost drops to about 300ish per system for shipping. Still... its a killer.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Two questions...
1) Is the type of cable needed something like this? (but in a 12G/s version?) 3M Mini SAS HD (SFF-8644) - QSFP+ (SFF-8436) Cable or HGST 2m HD Mini-SAS to QSFP+ IO Cable | eBay
(I know it may be a dumb question, but trying to figure out what "pricey" range the cables are in!) From the description, the eBay one looks like it might be exactly the right one, but want to confirm.

2) Where are you located/shipping from? Might be local to one of us interested in picking up? (Crossing my fingers for an answer like "Houston, just down the street from you, of course!")

My wife might kill me...

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
Your in Houston.. really? That's awesome.. I'm in California. Sorry. Luckily I squeeze my friends at the freight company for unbeatable deals.

You've got the right idea about cables 12Gs sounds right too.
Here's a link, I'm not seeing anything thats specifically 12gbs though. Mini SAS (SFF-8088) - QSFP+, SAS | DataStorageCables
Their prices seem to be the best.

Wife Advice: lol. Your fear is well founded. It will serve you well.

Gnodu

Oct 10, 2015
Lol! Has been a long day... I needed that laugh!
The shipping ballpark doesnt seem unreasonable to me... Just figured i would ask before assuming.

While 60 bays are probably WAY overkill for my needs, let me give it a little thought... :) of course, the fact that yesterday was my wife's b-day, not mine... Might work for or against me! ;)

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Steal the front off of it too and send it to me. I still need one for the unit that arrived bent. Still hoping you end up parting one out so I can have a kid that fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
Haven't heard of any of them failing. Solid product. Whats the part that got bent.... the front metal mesh, ears or was it the lid? I wonder if a replacement piece is trivial in cost or what hgst would try to charge us.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
It was the front mesh panel. We talked about to through eBay when I bought them.

Looks like when your guys were harvesting the drives out they either took it out of the box or put it back into the box by lifting with the front handle rather than the purple lifting straps. That front handle isn't meant as a lift point it's only supposed to be used to pull the chassis out once loaded onto the rails. So it bent the front part out and since the lid screws into that front part, the rear of the lid never makes contact (the little rubber seal) with the back of the chassis leaving a gap which sucks air into it.

I've been waiting and hoping you end up with a harvested chassis for parts where I can get that front piece from ya. I could take mine off and try to bend it back but I know I'll never get it straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Looks like someone has the same carpet as me from the picture :) Its horrible, I didn't think two would exist!

Jeff Kaminsky

Oct 10, 2016
LOL. I stole your pic. We don't even have carpet :-( We do have the same servers! Let me know if you need your pic back. I'd like to think I was just borrowing it sans permission.

Reactions: ecosse

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
OK ex post facto approval of this commercial posting by iXsystems. Good to support the team behind FreeNAS.