[Help Request] LSI 9211-8i Sas Card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinybentley

Jan 3, 2022
I have a LSI 9211-8i sas card, only one port seems to work out of the two. I tested the cables and the drives and there does not seem to be an issue there. I am not too familiar with SAS cards and I am hoping someone here may know the command or way to check to see if that port has been TURN off accidently. Could someone help?

Thank you

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
find the program called "lsiutil" on the internet. find the version for your OS. you can use that to check the port configuration within the card. and you can check the connection status.

bonox

Feb 23, 2021
art of server (youtube) has a video or two about how to do it, notably on the 2x2 port cards built with a pcie switch cards. The process is identical for the single cpu cards like yours.

Additionally, he notes common issues with a port not working - some seem to be related to simple card damage, like a resistor/capacitor failure etc.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
art of server (youtube) has a video or two about how to do it, notably on the 2x2 port cards built with a pcie switch cards. The process is identical for the single cpu cards like yours.

Additionally, he notes common issues with a port not working - some seem to be related to simple card damage, like a resistor/capacitor failure etc.
@tinybentley bonox is probably referring to my video here:

Which is where I was leading you towards. You need the "lsiutil" program. That said, it is usually unlikely the ports are turned off on an internal card. This happens more often on external port cards because they were used in a storage device in "target" mode. nonetheless, you can verify the connection status with lsiutil. If that just shows there's no connection, the next step would be to check the physical SAS lanes on the card. what often gets damaged are the coupling capacitors along the SAS lane so look closely at those. 99% of the time if they are damaged it is visible if you look closely, the other 1% requires you measuring the farads to see if it meets spec even though they look fine.

tinybentley

Jan 3, 2022
@tinybentley bonox is probably referring to my video here:

Which is where I was leading you towards. You need the "lsiutil" program. That said, it is usually unlikely the ports are turned off on an internal card. This happens more often on external port cards because they were used in a storage device in "target" mode. nonetheless, you can verify the connection status with lsiutil. If that just shows there's no connection, the next step would be to check the physical SAS lanes on the card. what often gets damaged are the coupling capacitors along the SAS lane so look closely at those. 99% of the time if they are damaged it is visible if you look closely, the other 1% requires you measuring the farads to see if it meets spec even though they look fine.
Thank you so much, I will give it a try.

tinybentley

Jan 3, 2022
find the program called "lsiutil" on the internet. find the version for your OS. you can use that to check the port configuration within the card. and you can check the connection status.
Thank you very much, I will download it and try it.