Hello! Need some guidance!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mobycl1ck

Feb 20, 2022
First and foremost, I want to thank you all for offering such guides and wealth of information, I lurked for some time and I decided to register and ask some questions here.
For now, I have a decision to make, I wanted a second opinion, as @Patrick so excitedly presented the TinyMiniMicro Guide.
I want a small, low power Proxmox dedicated machine, so that project just caught my attention. As a few Youtubers already shown, a Thincenter, Deskmini could be used as a small low powered Proxmox machine. Just to spin up some LXC, Dockers or Kubernetes and maybe some VMs for testing only.

On eBay, the STH effect is in full swing, prices went up. I am looking for a 7700T machine, as it has 4C/8T , much more suited for Proxmox.
The thing is..what I found simply are a bit out of my budget., 200-230€ tops.
On a local market I managed to find a used Hp EliteDesk 800 G3 with 6600T,8GB SSD250Gb for 180€ , shipped to my door.
Now, is this a viable option?
My plan is to upgrade the RAM down the road, and sell the 6600T and get the 6700T or 7700T. Is this even possible?

Now, I have a HP Proliant G8 Microserver, but I use it as a TrueNAS machine. I used it as a Proxmox baremetal server always on, now it is on just a few hours on a regular day, to sync all the data from my Synology DS220+.
Have I missed something here, did I take the wrong decision to run TrueNAS directly on hardware and not use the machine as Proxmox and have TrueNAS virtualized?

Hope that I managed to explain my situation with adding too much confusion. English is not may main language, just FYI.
Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.
Cheers!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Usually upgrading CPUs is not cost effective in these. How much are the Core i5-8500T machines where you are?

I think using Proxmox VE is fine. I have done this for years in my personal NAS.

Too bad you are not going to be in Barcelona this weekend.

mobycl1ck

Feb 20, 2022
Usually upgrading CPUs is not cost effective in these. How much are the Core i5-8500T machines where you are?

I think using Proxmox VE is fine. I have done this for years in my personal NAS.

Too bad you are not going to be in Barcelona this weekend.
Sorry for the late response.
I found and reserved a mint condition (practically new) Dell OptiPlex 7060 with 16 GB RAM, i5-8500T 256 SSD M.2 for 300 €. Another one with only 8 GB RAM for 250€.
Reasonable prices, as far as STH effect.
What event is there in Barcelona?

Reactions: Patrick

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Sorry for the late response.
I found and reserved a mint condition (practically new) Dell OptiPlex 7060 with 16 GB RAM, i5-8500T 256 SSD M.2 for 300 €. Another one with only 8 GB RAM for 250€.
Reasonable prices, as far as STH effect.
What event is there in Barcelona?
MWC 2022

Reactions: Patrick

mobycl1ck

Feb 20, 2022
ended up buying a 5 months "old" Dell OptiPlex 7060 with 16 GB RAM, i5-8500T 256 SSD M.2 for 300 €, still under Dell's warranty until 2023. Not a bad deal, I think.Prepperd it up, cleaned up the fan, changed TIM.
Had a spare 500GB 7200 Hitachi rust spinner, put that inside and installed Proxmox on the machine.
Well, it is a quiet little machine, LXC are a joy to work..

Yep, I would like to go, but reasons...