Hasivo Switch DAC Support ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hazza64

Jun 6, 2023
Yeah, I tried basically the entire range from 9600 through to 1mbaud and it remains garbled.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Yeah, I tried basically the entire range from 9600 through to 1mbaud and it remains garbled.
Without more measurement it'll be hard to figure out what's what. It's possible it's 1.8v instead of 3.3v or maybe it's something else (i.e. not enough pull up or pull down). Since they have the RS232 chip fitted, does the other side of the chip result in different serial traffic?

Reactions: Hazza64

Hazza64

Jun 6, 2023
Finally got a terminal after shoving a networking jack in place and using a usb/RJ45 'console' adaptor. Baud was 28800 for some gorrang reason.
Fun things of note; the chip at the bottom is a *knockoff* Max232 chip. You could hook into TTL if you solder on the TTL side, but the other side is RS232 with the fun +/- voltages which explains some of the reasons I was having issues.
Got into uboot using the default mfg password and now trying to bring up the network.

Hazza64

Jun 6, 2023
For anyone playing along at home, finally got it working by pulling the firmware, finding the linux image section of the code in hex, rewrote it with a good copy of the firmware and then reflashed.

Reactions: blunden

Hazza64

Jun 6, 2023
No, I was able to get an ok uboot RS232 terminal over a plastic RJ45 socket I put there temporarily.
You could probably get ttl off the other side of the MAX232 equivalent, but I cbf'd to solder into the PCB for fear of damaging something.
Uboot was useless on this model, though, as there's no commands compiled in. It's just good enough to tell if it's booted correctly or not.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
So is the DAC cable support still kind of hit and miss on this switch? What about switching performance? Any noticable drop in performance between the 10G ports?

wellerbm

Jan 7, 2023
I purchased the L3 version of this switch which has the console port. The firmware version is a little older but the only disadvantage of lacking of English language support. Does any one have the English version of this firmware or know if the one mentioned in this topic is compatible?

Switch details

Switch>show version

Product: S600WP-5GT-2S+

Hardware:
Version: 1.0

Firmware(Layer 3 Switch):
Version: 3.5.0 Build time: Mar 17 2023 15:13:27

Uboot:
Version: uboot-9300-2022.10.19.bin

Kernel(9300 6v3):
Linux version 3.18.24 #63 Wed Mar 15 09:47:02 CST 2023

Patch:
Version: 1.0.2
Screenshot 2023-07-31 131052.pngIMG_7645.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: blunden

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I purchased the L3 version of this switch which has the RS232 port. The firmware version is a little older but the only disadvantage of lacking of English language support. Does any one have the this firmware or know if the one mentioned in this topic is compatible?
Yeah, I saw that one and wondered what the difference was supposed to be between the two besides the console port.

Regarding the firmware, my understanding is that they will send the latest firmware to you if you contact them on AliExpress and ask for it.

Reactions: wellerbm

Survivor7171

Jun 1, 2023
Oh wow very interesting, I wonder wheter it's the same realtek chip in there.

If it's the case you could probably crossflash and turn the non l3 into a l3 switch.

You would have to take the heatsink off though or check via uboot.

AFAIK there is also ongoing work to make it openwrt compatible which would be insane.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I purchased the L3 version of this switch which has the console port. The firmware version is a little older but the only disadvantage of lacking of English language support. Does any one have the English version of this firmware or know if the one mentioned in this topic is compatible?
Did you manage to get an English language firmware from Hasivo?

If not, there is another brand on AliExpress named POEPLUS selling the exact same switch. You might be able to convince them to send an updated firmware if Hasivo doesn't come through for you. :)

wellerbm

Jan 7, 2023
Did you manage to get an English language firmware from Hasivo?

If not, there is another brand on AliExpress named POEPLUS selling the exact same switch. You might be able to convince them to send an updated firmware if Hasivo doesn't come through for you. :)

Thanks for the tip, I might give this a try. No nothing from the vendor so far. Would be good to understand from others here which version of firmware is currently shipping. Mine is as follows:
Firmware(Layer 3 Switch):
Version: 3.5.0 Build time: Mar 17 2023 15:13:27

Uboot:
Version: uboot-9300-2022.10.19.bin

Kernel(9300 6v3):
Linux version 3.18.24 #63 Wed Mar 15 09:47:02 CST 2023

Bill D

Jun 8, 2019
I tried the S600WP-5GT-2SX-SE (5 port 2.5Gb with 4 POE, and 2 SFP+ cages, managed). Showed up and POE does not work. Disabled in WebUI and attempting to enable always fails. Will be seeing if the Aliexpress return process even works.

Working:
- Cisco SFP-10G-SR

Not working:
- Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU2-5M (2.5m DAC)

Reactions: itronin

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I tried the S600WP-5GT-2SX-SE (5 port 2.5Gb with 4 POE, and 2 SFP+ cages, managed). Showed up and POE does not work. Disabled in WebUI and attempting to enable always fails. Will be seeing if the Aliexpress return process even works.

Working:
- Cisco SFP-10G-SR

Not working:
- Cisco SFP-H10GB-CU2-5M (2.5m DAC)
I assume that you tried PoE on all the different RJ45 ports?

I'll have to make sure to test it on mine too then, which I haven't gotten around to yet.

EDIT: Thankfully, PoE works on port 1-4 on my unit. That matches what they saw when reviewing it and it also matches the pictures from the product page on their website, so I assume that's normal. It doesn't match what is printed on the box though, so I might still mention that to Hasivo so that they have a chance to correct it if they want.

Last edited:
Reactions: itronin

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Did anyone get SSH working on the switch btw? Mine just complains about invalid username or something like that. It doesn't matter if I include the username or not.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Update 2: though it's not a DAC, I got TE2 port working with an Avago (HP branded) OM3 LC fiber SFP+ that I got as a freebie with some nic I purchased. My first DAC from an hour ago continues to work in TE; so it _might_ not be a fluke.

Bandwidth tests as soon as I can pull all the right tools together.
View attachment 29545
Are you still using this combination? Is the DAC still working?

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
What were the cable lengths of the DACs that people tried?

I noticed by doing a loop test that my switch successfully negotiates a 10G link using my 0.5 meter H!Fiber DAC, but not the 2 meter DAC cable of the same model. In essence, it seems like it might have an issue with cable length.

EDIT: I ended up using the ipolex 10GBase-SR transceivers in the end too, and they do indeed work. :)

Note that just they are manufactured by 10Gtek, so it might be basically the same as the 10Gtek branded one. The same is true for the H!Fiber DACs.

One thing I noticed is that the Hasivo switch doesn't properly show the temperature of the transceivers even though they report a temperature when I check with ethtool when connected to my NIC. They definitely run hotter in the switch than in my NIC though, so I'm much more interested in the temperature of the one in the switch.

Last edited: