Hasivo Switch DAC Support ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Survivor7171

Jun 1, 2023
Edit:

Reported by users as working:
  • H!Fiber 10G SFP+ DAC

Reported by users as not working:
  • 10GTek SFP+ DAC
  • ONTi SFP+ DAC

SR Transceivers reported as working:
  • 10Gtek SFP+ SR LC
  • ipolex 10GBase-SR

Original:
From the Ultimate Cheap Fanless 2.5GbE Switch Mega Round-Up I went ahead and bought the S600WP-5GT-2SX_SE

The switch itself works just fine, 2.5G full speed, VLANs, LACP, etc. it even came with latest firmware which fixes some bugs mentioned by users like setting static IP.

The UX seems really bad but that does not matter for me.

Anyway, I'm having trouble getting a 10G DAC working with the switch, I only have a generic code ONTi DAC so not much options.

Does anyone with a Hasivo Switch try any 10G DAC's and can tell me which one would work ?

Given it's a Realtek chipset I would have expected any generic DAC to work, but now I'm thinking it might not support DAC's at all :(

Edit: rj45 2.5G SFP+ Transceiver also not working, but did not expect it to.

Edit2: FC SR Transceivers working just fine.

Last edited:

Crast

Jun 7, 2023
I'm having a similar problem with the S600WP-5GT-2S+_SE - similar switch but with PoE/PoE+ - I'm doing fine with the 2.5gbE and managed interface mostly works for me... but I'm not able to connect my DACs and have them be recognized.

Both my DAC's are from "10Gtek" and I've been using them for about 2 years with a Zyxel switch.

I also tried some random optics I had in a bin but I don't have SR fiber for them, so I'm also waiting on that.
Going back to the product page some people have said that hasivo has updated firmware, so I'm going to contact them for it.

Reactions: Survivor7171

Crast

Jun 7, 2023
Addendum: found this post so we're not the only ones with DAC issues :(

Survivor7171

Jun 1, 2023
I'm now using 10Gtek AXS85-192-M3 transceivers which work just fine with OM3/OM4 FC cable.

Last edited:

Survivor7171

Jun 1, 2023
Ah good to know, I just checked Diagnostics -> Fiber Module and it detects my DAC, but Compliance Code is unknown.

So I guess you can either reprogram the DAC or maybe there is even a support unknown transceiver option via CLI.

ONTi generic code DAC:
1686331986507.png

Hazza64

Jun 6, 2023
I don't suppose someone in this thread could provide me a copy of the factory firmware for the S600WP-5GT-2SX_SE ?
I bricked my unit updating it with firmware provided by HASIVO via AliExpress which was supposed to fix the Static IP address issue.
Existing post over here.
It'd be greatly appreciated if you could! It'd possibly bring my switch back to life.

Survivor7171

Jun 1, 2023
@Hazza64 sorry to hear that.

I just dumped the firmware from my switch and the checksum matches yours, it also matches the checksum of the firmware they send me via e-mail, so it's all the same binary.

My first go to would be to check if there is any reset pin, inside / outside that needs to be pressed or grounded.

Second if you have the switch already open see if there are any uart pins to connect to, maybe you can get a boot log this way and see what's going wrong and even recovery via tftp, probably runs uboot, a timely pressed esc and you should get a menu on boot.

Last option is flashing the EEPROM with a ch341a and some ic clips for example, I have done that on motherboards and embedded devices in the past, make sure to wipe it before flashing so the user settings get cleaned.

Hazza64

Jun 6, 2023
Here's a photo of the PCB.

At a glance, I'm guessing I might get a terminal at the unpopulated console RJ45 socket, not sure how the traces line up though.

One thing someone mentioned is that if I just flash the BIX to the EEPROM (which I'm guessing is this) blindly after wiping the chip, it might wipe the bootloader/config. I've got a ch341 waiting at home to try it out.

I'm not a stranger to doing all this, but I've never done exactly this and usually I work with documented hardware lol

Survivor7171

Jun 1, 2023
Here's a photo of the PCB.

At a glance, I'm guessing I might get a terminal at the unpopulated console RJ45 socket, not sure how the traces line up though.

One thing someone mentioned is that if I just flash the BIX to the EEPROM (which I'm guessing is this) blindly after wiping the chip, it might wipe the bootloader/config. I've got a ch341 waiting at home to try it out.

I'm not a stranger to doing all this, but I've never done exactly this and usually I work with documented hardware lol
You are right about the EEPROM, it has lanes for SOP8 & SOP16 configuration. You can just solder to the SOP16 layout to flash it or use ic clamps.

I would expect one of the 2 unpopulated 4pin headers right beside the CPU to be UART.

Square pin being gnd the outer pin being vcc, middle pins TX/RX.

Double check gnd/vcc with a multimeter and connect a UART TTL adapter, see if you get any output if not switch TX/RX and try again.

But you might be right about the bottom right 4pin header, what chip are these pins connected to ?

Last edited:

Hazza64

Jun 6, 2023
I would expect one of the 2 unpopulated 4pin headers right beside the CPU to be UART.

Square pin being gnd the outer pin being vcc, middle pins TX/RX.

Double check gnd/vcc with a multimeter and connect a UART TTL adapter, see if you get any output if not switch TX/RX and try again.

But you might be right about the bottom right 4pin header, what chip are these pins connected to ?
According to this it might be a Max232, ttl to rs232 adaptor chip. This is for a different Hasivo switch, though, but it looks like a similar implementation and the traces look right.

Survivor7171

Jun 1, 2023
Yeah I think that's the serial chip, it also has resistors for TX/RX

Try to connect to the 4 pin header marked as UART?!

Reactions: Hazza64

Survivor7171

Jun 1, 2023
IN2 on the left could be a reset button, short it with tweezers or some cable and reboot the switch. Also try to short it for 5-10 second while the switch is on, maybe that's all you need.

Be careful if you power the switch, don't touch anything power related (upper right / POE board), it runs on 52V.

Reactions: Hazza64

Crast

Jun 7, 2023
Update 2: though it's not a DAC, I got TE2 port working with an Avago (HP branded) OM3 LC fiber SFP+ that I got as a freebie with some nic I purchased. My first DAC from an hour ago continues to work in TE; so it _might_ not be a fluke.

Bandwidth tests as soon as I can pull all the right tools together.
Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 5.40.12 PM.png

Reactions: Survivor7171

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Yeah I think that's the serial chip, it also has resistors for TX/RX

Try to connect to the 4 pin header marked as UART?!

It's hard to see at this resolution, but the 4 pin up top might be SPI or I2C, the 4 pin near the heatsink is the UART which sits on the same traces that run over to the RS232 level shifter chip indeed.

Hazza64

Jun 6, 2023
It looks like it's more than just the jack that is depopulated.
I was able to get a serial connected up to the 4-pin uart header that is in the sasme location as the jack with just GND, RX and TX (it's a 3.3v power pin, and the pi I used runs @ 3.3v).
After using minicom @ 115200, it's definitely outputting something @ boot, but it's garbled.
I noticed on the underside (D34, D35) that there are two diodes that also need to be populated. Not exactly sure of their function (pulldown or something), but I'm guessing these need to be present as well.
Anyone know type of diode I should solder in there?

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
It looks like it's more than just the jack that is depopulated.
I was able to get a serial connected up to the 4-pin uart header that is in the sasme location as the jack with just GND, RX and TX (it's a 3.3v power pin, and the pi I used runs @ 3.3v).
After using minicom @ 115200, it's definitely outputting something @ boot, but it's garbled.
I noticed on the underside (D34, D35) that there are two diodes that also need to be populated. Not exactly sure of their function (pulldown or something), but I'm guessing these need to be present as well.
Anyone know type of diode I should solder in there?
If garbled, try other speeds first. It might be even faster than 115200 or it might be very slow instead. I've seen some Realtek SoCs do weird or less common speeds too.