Hardware pron thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Oh no, they were bought forever ago. Never replaced.

The whole system has been put to mothballs since 2012 anyway.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You had Chipotle for lunch @Patriot

Seriously though. Looks like 4 DIMMs on either side of the heatpipes. HP Apollo node of some sort?

Reactions: Patriot

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
You had Chipotle for lunch @Patriot

Seriously though. Looks like 4 DIMMs on either side of the heatpipes. HP Apollo node of some sort?
Tis an Apollo 8k node. Each dimm has a metal heatspreader, Heatpipecooler on top of the procs coming out to that cold plate.
Square heatpipe plate on top of cpu cooler and dimms. Very interesting cooling solution.

Reactions: b3nz0n8

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
I'd hazard a guess that it's something to do with the moonshot that was posted earlier.

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
what is HP Apollo?
HP Apollo is one of a various number of things:

Apollo workstations from roughly 1980-1993 which were rather ground breaking machines that developed much of what we consider standard these days like revision control systems, single namespace networking (Windows Domains actually borrow a lot of concepts from the early Apollo DOMAIN/OS). Ran on 68k based processors and a blazingly fast proprietary token ring network at the time.

HP Apollo 9000 Workstations which were dual compatible between DOMAIN/OS and HP-UX.

HP Apollo HPC server systems. Come in a variety of sizes and models.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I grabbed a few pictures from work of our new datacenter, figured you guys might be interested. I was very involved in the entire project, from the early design through construction and migrating our equipment around, and am still down there as needed when issues can't be fixed remotely; and it was the most enjoyable project I've ever worked on - learned a TON of stuff doing it (mostly related to HVAC/cooling, smoke-detection/fire-supression, and other non-IT topics). It is a small datacenter by modern standards (36 racks, and if UPS/cooling is expanded to capacity capable of 225kW of load), but state of the art with structured cabling, in-row cooling (designed to grow into hot-aisle containment when required), modular power distribution, fancy nitrogen-based fire-supression, etc. If anyone has questions about anything I'm happy to answer them. That out of the way - here are the pics.

Looking down one of the two cold aisles:70-IMG_20150424_115754.jpg

Central cross-connect for the structured cabling (there is some copper to the right as well not shown):70-IMG_20150424_115825.jpg

Back-side of a rack with a couple of HP C7000 enclosures:60-IMG_20150424_115850.jpg

The front side of the same thing, you can see one of the in-row coolers through the rack door:45-IMG_20150424_115912.jpg

And one of the power-distribution racks (there is 1 per row):50-IMG_20150424_115929.jpg

Angus

Mar 3, 2015
I grabbed a few pictures from work of our new datacenter, figured you guys might be interested. I was very involved in the entire project, from the early design through construction and migrating our equipment around, and am still down there as needed when issues can't be fixed remotely; and it was the most enjoyable project I've ever worked on - learned a TON of stuff doing it (mostly related to HVAC/cooling, smoke-detection/fire-supression, and other non-IT topics). It is a small datacenter by modern standards (36 racks, and if UPS/cooling is expanded to capacity capable of 225kW of load), but state of the art with structured cabling, in-row cooling (designed to grow into hot-aisle containment when required), modular power distribution, fancy nitrogen-based fire-supression, etc. If anyone has questions about anything I'm happy to answer them. That out of the way - here are the pics.
Looks great..
Oddly enough I know exactly where that is.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
BR Drive installation complete!
Time to rip 1k+ (legally purchased) BR/DVD/Film/Shows.... FUN!!!

Sitting on the 28 core intel, and empty / nib opened intel chassis :D

Attachments

Last edited:

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
2009 was a hell of a year for the "Desktop Supercomputer". Cray came out with their CX1, and SGI went "I can do that!" with the Octane III. Both of these systems still make my pants tight:

Imagine this with today's Xeon D-1540 in each mb.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
Everything looks better in pics... although I work each day in the worlds second largest IP network ;)

Anyone need a null route?