Hardware pron thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hmmm... I picked up a mITX board today with 4x RJ-45 ports... pictures tomorrow.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
@Chuckleb I can't say where/when, but I did do some work with one of the Australian subsea submarine radar's. all up around 100 something kilometers of acoustic sensors on big strings.

Also with the Oil/Gas industry I did some work with "boomers" for acoustic mapping of sea floor and subsea reservoirs.

One more thing. Deep inside this baby:

Is my old office. you can just see the white between that bracing.

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
That's the submarine rescue vehicle that australia used to use. "Wiki-Link"
The umbilical is 2km of fibre and copper conductors with a super heavy duty protective sheath. 2x fibre mux's, 2x 150hp hydraulic power units, 11x camera's both PTZ and fixed focal.
All in a 20 Tonne 20' container size envelope (the skirt hanging off the bottom detaches).

Oh and the whole system runs off a pair (non-redundant) of Intel Core2Duo HP boxes you could buy off any shelf at any PC store (with a few additional PCI cards).
Kinda cool though.

Reactions: William

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
You can find C2D boxes still? I'd imagine they are better at heating up the sub at depth tho