Hardware Failures in 2022 - Post yours!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017

Glock24

May 13, 2019
I fried a stack of new 1.6TB Intel S3500 SSDs in one go because I put a corsair sata cable into my EVGA PSU =P
They all went snap crackle pop the second I hit the power button :(

Fresh new drives, straight from an ebay pull.

A little warm there...

One of these has a very hot short...

Spicy internal short =P (case off the SSD)

The cable was even in my EVGA PSU box =P
That must hurt.

asmith

Jun 2, 2019
This little power supply tester has helped me figure out why a board wasnt booting before. Maybe it would have caught that cable oops?

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
This little power supply tester has helped me figure out why a board wasnt booting before. Maybe it would have caught that cable oops?

The cable was fine, the issue was plugging it into the wrong PSU.

Reactions: Patrick

ano

Nov 7, 2022
brand new DL380G10plus, with weird backplane issues, turns out bad Connection on the main powerlead to backplane, didnt take much time at all do debug, it looked fine, just variable, replaced it.. yay!

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
made a stupid mistake, used a wrong cable from psu, burned Z790 AORUS ELITE AX, 2*16GB DDR5-5600, Seagate Firecuda 530 2TB.

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
What wrong cable did you use?
How dead is the stuff?
I used a pci-e cable from Corsair HX650 in HX750. Haven't touched them for many years so didn't remember the cables were not compatible.
How dead? You can see sparkles and smoke from motherboard. lol

• Haha
Reactions: Fritz

cbarbie

Mar 10, 2011
US-VA
Smelled electrical smoke a few days ago. Checked UPSs, PSUs, power cables. Everything was still running.
Two days later one server rebooted on it's own. OS showed all of the drives so I figured ok, OS took a dump.
A day later, same server, another reboot. Two OS crashes? Rechecked everything externally to the server. Everything ok and server is running.
Six hours another reboot.

Take server offline and pull from rack. At first I saw nothing, then I touched a power wire and pieces came off...
Resized_20230529_072311.jpeg

Resized_20230529_072328.jpeg

The hairs were post removal. We have a Husky who is blowing his winter coat.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Patrick and i386

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017
Man, those were in all sorts of tech blogs a few years ago for settings things on fire. I figured everyone replaced them by now.

Glad you didn't torch your house.

Reactions: ipkpjersi

OrlyP

May 16, 2023
Not as exciting as the others, but recently the PoE injector for one of my UniFi UAP-AC-LR started to give. The AP didn't like it so it was power-cycling like crazy.

ipkpjersi

Sep 14, 2018
Man, those were in all sorts of tech blogs a few years ago for settings things on fire. I figured everyone replaced them by now.

Glad you didn't torch your house.
Yeah seriously lol, I refuse to go anywhere near them, luckily all my power supplies have enough actual SATA power cables that I don't need to worry about those cables. That, and I usually only tend to have like 6-8 drives per server.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
HP slimline docking station for the elitebook 850 just gave up the ghost for me. It will power the laptop, but not fully dock it. One obvious failure is the latching pin furthest from the power post doesn't latch - mechanical failure as the latch is loose in the docking station. More problematic it the slide in mechanism that has all the conn won't slide in all the way.

Dead puppy. 9 years of service is pretty good, but still, dead puppy. I'd attempt repair, but then we would have dead puppy with blood and guts all over the place and it would still be a dead puppy.

Not dramatic like burnt connectors, just wear and tear.

Now I have the pain of coming into the current decade with freaking usb docking with the cables. I have a hate for USB cables (how may different male/female plugs are there?), but that is a different rant.

goodbye, my easy well used docking station. RIP

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
HP slimline docking station for the elitebook 850 just gave up the ghost for me. It will power the laptop, but not fully dock it. One obvious failure is the latching pin furthest from the power post doesn't latch - mechanical failure as the latch is loose in the docking station. More problematic it the slide in mechanism that has all the conn won't slide in all the way.

Dead puppy. 9 years of service is pretty good, but still, dead puppy. I'd attempt repair, but then we would have dead puppy with blood and guts all over the place and it would still be a dead puppy.

Not dramatic like burnt connectors, just wear and tear.

Now I have the pain of coming into the current decade with freaking usb docking with the cables. I have a hate for USB cables (how may different male/female plugs are there?), but that is a different rant.

goodbye, my easy well used docking station. RIP
The good thing about old tech like this that had a lot of units made is that you can get a nice working used one for pennies on the dollar. I picked up the extended battery, docking station, and all sorts of accessories for my 8760w for well under $100 with some patience. Get another puppy that will last another 10 years!

Reactions: edge and Fritz

edge

Apr 22, 2013
The good thing about old tech like this that had a lot of units made is that you can get a nice working used one for pennies on the dollar. I picked up the extended battery, docking station, and all sorts of accessories for my 8760w for well under $100 with some patience. Get another puppy that will last another 10 years!
I just bought it on Amazon for $18, delivered tomorrow.

• Love
Reactions: Samir and Fritz