GPU price has dropped precipitously in last few months

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I figure it's a good idea to start a thread here about good GPU price since i don't see one

I got mail in my box that Microcenters is now selling the 3070TI for $700. This price is basically about $200 lower than a few months ago. And there is prediction that price will keep dropping.

So glad to see this happening. If anyone knows of any other good GPU deals, please share. It's good to keep track of pricing and list any good deal for one.

Glad I sold off my 1070 a few weeks ago.... for $50 less than what I paid for it brand new back in 2015...lol

myrison

Jan 26, 2011
This has been a crazy ride with GPU prices the last couple of years. Around 12 months ago, I got lucky and found an all in-one tower with a top of the line Intel desktop CPU and a 3080 GPU included for $2k. I bought it, removed the GPU, sold it for $2,200 and put in an older GPU into the tower that I had from another build. I'll upgrade at some point now that prices have become more sane, but in the meantime, I've been enjoying my free computer. :)

firworks

May 7, 2021
I was at Microcenter a few days ago and they had a fully stocked GPU aisle with every single model and class of GPU in stock. No waiting in lines or taking tickets. 3090s were between 1900-2200$ depending on model. They even had some of the lowest end AMD GPUs (6500xt) at MSRP.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Relevant HUB video:

Cards like Vegas or 1080 Ti's are still priced far too high. (the fact I want top of the line cards like a V64 Nitro+ LE or a 1080 Ti Kingpin won't help either!)

Reactions: wildpig1234

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
To be fair. Asus made an announcement this week that they would be dropping prices as their products were no longer subject to US tariffs.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I was at Microcenter a few days ago and they had a fully stocked GPU aisle with every single model and class of GPU in stock. No waiting in lines or taking tickets. 3090s were between 1900-2200$ depending on model. They even had some of the lowest end AMD GPUs (6500xt) at MSRP.
WOW! Wish Microcenter was close by me.
Yeah, I have my sister in denver grab me a few things from MC once a while. Like the i7-12700K for $300 the other day. This CPU is a beast btw. This power used to only be available with server cpu. It is faster than a dual cpu 2696 v2 setup!

Anyway, getting back to gpu, yeah, from what i heard, MC has a shelf full of rtx 3000 gpu but it's not like they are selling out either even though price getting lower.... I think everyone is figuring out that price will keep dropping and is not biting it anymore at the $700 price range for a 3070ti.

I cant wait for things to get back to msrp or hopefully even lower for 3000 once 4000 is out. I might just stick to 3000 if i can find a good bargain. 4000 just seems to use way too much power even if it's making good improvement over 3000

If you want to sell your old 1000 or 2000 gpu, better do it real soon!

The only other thing i will add is that it looks like nvidia will make all gpu from now on to be LHR (and maybe even AMD too?) I don't like to pay for a gpu that is crippled in any way. No idea what functionality aside from crypto could be affected but seems like no one has complained about any gaming or application being slow down as of now. so i guess this is the new norm. still hate to have anything crippled but i guess that's better than no card or crazy price.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah, I have my sister in denver grab me a few things from MC once a while. Like the i7-12700K for $300 the other day. This CPU is a beast btw. This power used to only be available with server cpu. It is faster than a dual cpu 2696 v2 setup!

Anyway, getting back to gpu, yeah, from what i heard, MC has a shelf full of rtx 3000 gpu but it's not like they are selling out either even though price getting lower.... I think everyone is figuring out that price will keep dropping and is not biting it anymore at the $700 price range for a 3070ti.

I cant wait for things to get back to msrp or hopefully even lower for 3000 once 4000 is out. I might just stick to 3000 if i can find a good bargain. 4000 just seems to use way too much power even if it's making good improvement over 3000

If you want to sell your old 1000 or 2000 gpu, better do it real soon!

The only other thing i will add is that it looks like nvidia will make all gpu from now on to be LHR (and maybe even AMD too?) I don't like to pay for a gpu that is crippled in any way. No idea what functionality aside from crypto could be affected but seems like no one has complained about any gaming or application being slow down as of now. so i guess this is the new norm. still hate to have anything crippled but i guess that's better than no card or crazy price.
Crippling the GPU so you're customers won't buy them seems like a losing proposition.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
declining crypto profitability (although ethereum profits seem to have jumped up in the last week or so?)
hopefully improving supply and supply chain
decreasing tariffs.

All positive developments

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
prices for GPUs are directly proporsional to their ETH hash rate. The closer we get to ETH going POS, the cheaper cards will become. After ETH goes POS there will be a glut of 2nd hand cards on the market, the GPU manufacturers will also have much less sales to miners. Would expect prices to crash.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
prices for GPUs are directly proporsional to their ETH hash rate. The closer we get to ETH going POS, the cheaper cards will become. After ETH goes POS there will be a glut of 2nd hand cards on the market, the GPU manufacturers will also have much less sales to miners. Would expect prices to crash.
I don't like cards that are crippled in any way, even if i don't intend to use it for mining. I guess LHR is specifically design to only affect mining hopefully? I would hate for it to affect any game or apps.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Nvidia brought out LHR not to stop mining but so the memory in their 30 series cards has some sort of hope of making it to the end of the customer warranty period when used for mining. On non-LHR cards the memory temp can get as high as 110 degrees C (max rating), you never see temps like that when gaming.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Nvidia brought out LHR not to stop mining but so the memory in their 30 series cards has some sort of hope of making it to the end of the customer warranty period when used for mining. On non-LHR cards the memory temp can get as high as 110 degrees C (max rating), you never see temps like that when gaming.
That's interesting. I ran furmark on my 1070 and 1060 and i only get up to about 75degree so i am wondering how it is possible that mining can get the gpu mem to go up to 110 degree. Is that something just pertaining to 3000? i always thought that gpu has thermal throttling that will have it just slow itself down when it find the temp anywhere close to 100degree

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
@wildpig1234 I think the 110 degree is the spec for GDDR6X memory from the oem but it seems really crazy to everyone who hears it.
I don't know of anyone who runs cards that high. I make sure that my cards stay below 70 on the core and 80 on the memory. When I can't, I shut them off and figure out a way to add extra cooling. My job this morning will be to find a way to cool off a Zotac 3070 that had started to overheat (71 on core) this way. Anyone seriously interested in keeping these cards long term keeps a close eye on temperatures.

Also, a RTX 3070 for $660 at Newegg:

Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Also, a RTX 3070 for $660 at Newegg:
$650 for an open box 3070 (non TI). not exactly a bargain when a brand new 3070TI is only $700 at MC. But i guess there are still enough people buying that or maybe they only had a few....lol..

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
$650 for an open box 3070 (non TI). not exactly a bargain when a brand new 3070TI is only $700 at MC. But i guess there are still enough people buying that or maybe they only had a few....lol..
The thing is, most people aren't going to be able to take advantage of MicroCenter's "in-store only" prices, which are at a completely different level than pretty much everywhere else. The really serious discounts at MC are always in-store only.

When I had to do an "unplanned" desktop update a couple months back, MC was selling Alder Lake i7s for about the same price that everyone else was selling i5s, and Ryzen 7s were close to everyone else's Ryzen 5 prices.

But, since the nearest MicroCenter is now 450 miles away from me, that in-stock to reserve for pick-up $329 i7 wasn't a real option and I went with the $289 i5...from Newegg. i7s everywhere else being close to $500 at the time. And nobody else had decent prices on GPUs at the time, so I didn't bother. Now that MC is dropping their prices closer to MSRP, I have hope that others will eventually.

For years and years, I had a MicroCenter and multiple Fry's near me for low prices. But that MC closed, along with all the Fry's everywhere. So now I'm in the same boat as most of the country, where Newegg's prices are often the best I'll be able to find.

Although, I'd definitely think twice before buying an "open box" anything from Newegg these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rock

MBastian

Jul 17, 2016
Düsseldorf, Germany
Temperature is only an issue with GDDR6X memory (RTX 3070 ti and up) and especially on the RTX 3090 Founders Edition. Any RT game (Quake RTX, Metro) will drive memory temps over 100°C. This also happens on most air cooled RTX 3080 and 3090 cards with the stock pads.
LHR was designed to specifically target the Etherum algorithm. Some other coins with similar algorithms, like Ergo, are also somewhat affected. There is no impact on anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: JediAcolyte

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Temperature is only an issue with GDDR6X memory (RTX 3070 ti and up) and especially on the RTX 3090 Founders Edition. Any RT game (Quake RTX, Metro) will drive memory temps over 100°C. This also happens on most air cooled RTX 3080 and 3090 cards with the stock pads.
Then there are idiots that do something like this, with even VCN making a article about it:

DON'T DO THIS. Thermal pads/putty exist for a reason! Copper plates are nothing but a band-aid for bad cooler contact/design.

Quoting some Ruskie dude in the comment section:
Алексей Бусыгин said:
Jesus, stop with all those shitmods and get a waterblock. This is so stupid:
1) You can short some components with copper and kill your gpu
or
2) If the z-height is even slightly off, the copper plate will be pushing extremly hard on those memory chips, resulting in a dead gpu

Why do you think EK (or any other wb company) doesn't make direct memory chip to metal interface, and always opts out for thermal pads? So your gpu won't be at risk of getting destroyed.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016