Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 EPYC 3151 Mystery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

janek202

Feb 4, 2023
How did you powered the ceacent board,
I've received my ceacent riser and connected my LSI card before noticing that it is not powered.

So I'm looking for the exact 6 pin power cable to power it.
If anyone can give me the reference of the cable you used ?

Thanks
The board I got, uses a standard 6 pin PCIe.

BTW. I ran some iperf3 tests and did ZFS replication of most of my data, no issues so far on ConnectX-3.

Reactions: rickyJ

whcvip

Mar 9, 2022
Denmark
Any way to control the onboard fan headers according to HDD temperature, either in BMC or Unraid. Cannot find a solution that works, have tried IPMI support and Dynamix Auto Fan Control plugins in Unraid, but cannot control the fans of the motherboard.

c63

Feb 25, 2024
Did you use a 85Ohm or an 100Ohm cable? I tried a lot of cables and only 85Ohm short ones worked.
But given the number of users which tried to get the SlimSas 8i port connected to various adapters and how much of them did not have success even if they used parts which had been reported working by others it seems those ports are a hit or miss thing…
Could you share the cable you used to successfully connect a U.2 drive to the SlimLine SAS 4i?

Gymnae

Nov 20, 2023
Good you are on your way.

First a warning. This can potentially brick your system. I have had one side effect. The product name disappeared from the BIOS and instead there is a text "To be filled in by OEM" It does not seam to have any impact on running the system.

I did all my testing with the main CPU off, only the BMC powered. I suggest you do the same!
Hi @PeterF, I ran through this procedure and thought I had now the two additional fan sensors ready, but it seems it failed, and I still lack control over any fan but CPU. Is there a method to enable fan control through BIOS modification? Otherwise, I need to try again with the serial dongle (noooooo, ma box is so crammed...)

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Hi @PeterF, I ran through this procedure and thought I had now the two additional fan sensors ready, but it seems it failed, and I still lack control over any fan but CPU. Is there a method to enable fan control through BIOS modification? Otherwise, I need to try again with the serial dongle (noooooo, ma box is so crammed...)
Unfortunately there is no way to enable this in BIOS (at least I have not found any).

Did you follow the steps I outlined?

You need also to reboot the IPMI for this to work. You do this simplest by disconnecting the PSU main cable (That to the wall)
Or write reboot on the terminal, but if you have taken out the serial that is not available

Peter

Reactions: Gymnae

Gymnae

Nov 20, 2023
Unfortunately there is no way to enable this in BIOS (at least I have not found any).

Did you follow the steps I outlined?

You need also to reboot the IPMI for this to work. You do this simplest by disconnecting the PSU main cable (That to the wall)
Or write reboot on the terminal, but if you have taken out the serial that is not available

Peter
Got it to work now. The problem was most likely that I attached the PWM fans to the wrong headers of my fan controller, where only one set if pins returns tacho signal to the Motherboard. And the other one was a broken bable I had to re-solder :)

ilmari

Jan 23, 2024
Any way to control the onboard fan headers according to HDD temperature, either in BMC or Unraid. Cannot find a solution that works, have tried IPMI support and Dynamix Auto Fan Control plugins in Unraid, but cannot control the fans of the motherboard.
I'm not an expert, but I think the best option would be using some custom fan controller, like this one and either use an external temp sensor near the disks or make a script which monitors hdd temps from smartctl for example and then controls the fans via that Arduino. Or, if you are lazy like me, set some static fan speed and then monitor the hdd temps to find out the mean and max temperatures. Then adjust the fan speed if needed.

In my case I was thinking of controlling a fan cooling my Tesla P4, but then decided to go lazy and use static speed which is little too much when gpu is idle and little too much when it is working hard :D

BadMax02

Oct 29, 2023
Or, if you are lazy like me, set some static fan speed and then monitor the hdd temps to find out the mean and max temperatures. Then adjust the fan speed if needed.
thats exactly how i have done it.
I have a jonsbo n2 and the slim fan it has was quite crap, so i 3d printed a normal thickness fan adapter and used a radiator pressure optimized fan from a old watercooler and used that for my hdds, hdds sit at around 37C with around 1600rpm fan speed which is quite ok i think.
Its very quiet and only audible within 1m or so of my nas.

I actually reused that slim fan for the epyc cpu with another 3d printed adapter and that worked wonders only 700rpm and doesnt even spin up under 100% load also cools my m.2 10gbit network card and ram quite well.
10gbit nic dropped from around 80C to 55C. Very nice.
Might post some pictures when i get around to it

ilmari

Jan 23, 2024
got that thing running with 4 of SK Hynix HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH 32GB Rdimm running now with 1866, not 2133.

Bios Advanced --> AMD CBS --> UMC --> DDR4 --> DDR4 Common Options -->
OC on, All set to auto, except timing fix to 933
in the other Menu ECC from Enable to Auto, but i think 933 timing did it.

if it is running stable, i will keep it.
I can confirm this works. Except I'm using Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD modules, 4x32GB. I didn't touch the ECC setting though, just adjusted the clocks. I think this is probably described in the DIMM population table in the EC0 manual, but I have no idea how this chart should be read.
population.jpg

I am slowly getting ready with my build, which started as a simple project, but grew larger and larger during the way. At this point I have 6x Micron 5200 MAX 1.92 Tb disks in zfs raid10 (or pool of mirrors if you like that more) and Tesla P4 gpu with the Ceacent sff-8654 to pci-e board. I tried those 3d-printed fan shrouds for the P4, but they were bulky and loud, so I went a different path.

I'm using a Node 304 case and 3d-printed adapters which let me mount 4 ssd's to one hdd cage, so I only need 2 cages for the 6 disks. So I made an ugly mount from piece of aluminium for the P4, so it mounts neatly into one of the hdd mounts. Then I removed the cover plate and mounted a 60mm fan directly on the copper heatsink. Quiet and cool.

I moved my previous NAS / home server on this build. I am running Nextcloud, Shinobi CCTV, Grafana, Home Assistant etc on top of Proxmox. The previous NAS had memory limit of 16GB non-ecc, so this build is way more robust. Also that vgpu-capable P4 gives a lot of opportunities, from video encoding to cloud gaming and AI stuff.

Reactions: legopc

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
I have now tried two SlimSAS 8i cables with this board from Aliexpress.

Not getting my system to detect a ConnectX-2 card. And when I try a M.2 to PCIe adapter with a SK Hynix SSD then it doesn't even POST (just black screen).

Should I get the Ceacent board instead? I already have the original Amphenol cable that came with these Multi GPU servers from gigabyte.

I'm using the original F9 bios which has the U2_2 enable option.

ilmari

Jan 23, 2024
I have now tried two SlimSAS 8i cables with this board from Aliexpress.

Not getting my system to detect a ConnectX-2 card. And when I try a M.2 to PCIe adapter with a SK Hynix SSD then it doesn't even POST (just black screen).

Should I get the Ceacent board instead? I already have the original Amphenol cable that came with these Multi GPU servers from gigabyte.

I'm using the original F9 bios which has the U2_2 enable option.
Well the ceacent board is confirmed to work by me and several others. The issue with Ceacent is that you'll need a special Micro-Fit 3.0 molex connector for the power, but otherwise it's good.

About the other board you linked, is it designed to work with just one slimsas cable connected?

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
About the other board you linked, is it designed to work with just one slimsas cable connected?
There are two connectors for the full 16 lanes but the first connector (marked X8) is for the first 8 lanes. I looked at the traces on the board to confirm it. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

tactoad

Jan 26, 2022
Hi guys,
Received my board yesterday and I´m running 4x 32GB 2400T RDIMMs without any problems,
F09 bios and enabled POR with manual 1200MT settings.

Attachments

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Well the ceacent board is confirmed to work by me and several others. The issue with Ceacent is that you'll need a special Micro-Fit 3.0 molex connector for the power, but otherwise it's good.
Be careful with generalizations. Ceacent has TWO SlimSAS (SFF-8654) 8i to PCIe-slot riser cards, the CNS41CX16I & the CNS41CX16W. The 16I has a standard 6-pin power connector, supplying only 12V, which it draws upon via a buck converter (GS7317) to also get 3.3V (max 5A max 3A) for the slot (there's also a 4-pin fan connector). The 16W has that weird 6-pin you describe, which requires 12v and 3.3v from outside.
[EDIT: corrected max current; id'd chip]

Last edited:
Reactions: ilmari

ilmari

Jan 23, 2024
Be careful with generalizations. Ceacent has TWO SlimSAS (SFF-8654) 8i to PCIe-slot riser cards, the CNS41CX16I & the CNS41CX16W. The 16I has a standard 6-pin power connector, supplying only 12V, which it draws upon via a buck converter to also get 3.3V (max 5A) for the slot (there's also a 4-pin fan connector). The 16W has that weird 6-pin you describe, which requires 12v and 3.3v from outside.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of that. If I was, I would indeed pick that board with standard 6-pin connector and fan header instead of the 16W. But seems like many of us here have done the same mistake, according to the amount of questions about 'pci-e 6-pin connector doesn't fit, what should I do?'

Torch09

Mar 3, 2024
Is the 4i to SATA Adapter working without Problems on your Boards?
I've got one replacement Board and 2 others where 4i-Sata Port 3 is not working.
Tried cable number 3, same problem with each one of them.

ilmari

Jan 23, 2024
Is the 4i to SATA Adapter working without Problems on your Boards?
I've got one replacement Board and 2 others where 4i-Sata Port 3 is not working.
Tried cable number 3, same problem with each one of them.
At least for me it works without issues. Currently I have only 2 drives connected to 4i and other four directly to the sata connectors, but I did test plugging four drives to 4i and it worked. My cable is from German ebay but looks similar to those available in AliExpress.

Reactions: Torch09

+DS_DV+

Mar 16, 2024
Heyho :)
got here from Level1Techs and got this board now.
i noticed i am on F07 and will attempt to ask the seller and gigabyte for updated BIOS BMC / IPMI Firmware.

so my question to the great hivemind of this community:
are there any recommended steps to do other than updating BIOS/UEFI Firmware?

with kind regards

Last edited:

Torch09

Mar 3, 2024
Had some testing done at the weekend, here is my Summary:

On my first Board the 4i-SATA Port 3 was not working and at the same time the Fanout-Cable had the same broken Port...
That was nice... but after getting rid of these Problems, I tested with my two working Boards:

The 4i Port works with both SATA and PCI.
You can crossflash the Bios or use the EFI command, both ways are working fine (tested both)
The 4i Port is pretty bitchy about the inserted Cards.
I tried a dual 10G Card (x8) and a 1G Card (x1) and couldn't get them to work.
The 4x1G Card (x4) worked fine. I don't have more x4 Cards so I couldn't test others, it seems you have to use x4 cards to get them to work.

The 8i Port was more forgiving, I tried all the Cards which I used in the 4i Port and they all worked:
The Hardware I used:
Adapter: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0BZKCJVLG?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Cable: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0CGXFJKJ5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The Hardware for the 4i Port:
Adapter: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0BP254X7N?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Cable: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0BLJPX9DF?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I tried the following cable, that one didn't work:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0BZKF4RWM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I ordered two of these 4i Cables, the first one was not working at all and the other one was 50% working.
What I mean with 50%:
You had to push the cable against the board for it to work. If I didn't press, the Card wasn't recognised.
Dunno' if that was the Adapter or the Cables fault.

What I learned after the weekend:
Most Problems seem to be the Cable+Adapter and not the Board itself.
The quality of these parts seems to be a gamble.

TL;DR: Cables and Adapters are a gamble, PCI works on the 4i and 8i Ports.

For the People running Debian/Proxmox:
I had to set the Port to PCI before installing the OS, if I installed with SATA and changed to PCI, Proxmox wouldn't recognise the Card.

For People with Problems on that Port:
The SATA-Fanout seems to be thicker than the PCI-Cable. The Pins in the 4i Connector seemed to be further back on my "broken" first Board.
Maybe this was a contact Problem.

--
@ilmari thanks for the answer :)

Last edited:

_Dejan_

Aug 18, 2022
Around 1 month ago Im watch one youtube NAs build video with this board... User also post links(Affiliated) of adapters...

Buy M.2 to PCI Express 3.0 x16 Here (Affiliated):
https://ebay.us/eN8xQR

Buy 24G SlimSAS 8i Cable Here (Affiliated):
https://ebay.us/UxjJdj

Buy SlimSAS 8i to PCIe Adapter Here (Affiliated):
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DFI...

He didn't show and tell if everything work as planned but maybe this links help someone and confirm that this parts work ok...