EU Gigabyte Mainboard MC12-LE0 Re1.0 AMD B550 AM4 Ryzen

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gnajmacz

Feb 13, 2024
The Ryzen 2600 will be a challenge…

the AST2500 has offers basic VGA output- totally sufficient if not transcoding

3900X: use a decent top blow cooler and set to 65W eco mode

stability is fine

only downside for me: iGPU not working for transcoding, because cannot be activated in BIOS
Okay, and how do you evaluate iPMI, mainly that's what I'm interested in, because my server is located in a place that's quite far from my home. Have you maybe used PCI bifurcation, I heard it exists, but I also heard that it sometimes causes problems.

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
Okay, and how do you evaluate iPMI, mainly that's what I'm interested in, because my server is located in a place that's quite far from my home. Have you maybe used PCI bifurcation, I heard it exists, but I also heard that it sometimes causes problems.
IPMI is actually pretty good (better than my Asrock Rack X470D4U, but also AST2500 vs. 2400)

Bifurcation is possible (8x4x4 with APUs, or 4x4x4x4 with regular CPUs)

Reactions: etorix

bsod

Jan 21, 2024
The Ryzen 2600 will be a challenge…

the AST2500 has offers basic VGA output- totally sufficient if not transcoding

3900X: use a decent top blow cooler and set to 65W eco mode

stability is fine

only downside for me: iGPU not working for transcoding, because cannot be activated in BIOS
Do you think that the Gelid low profile cooler (that is sold with the motherboard) would be enough to handle say a 3950x/5950x set to 65w eco mode?

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
Do you think that the Gelid low profile cooler (that is sold with the motherboard) would be enough to handle say a 3950x/5950x set to 65w eco mode?
I don’t know, but from the pictures, it doesn’t look as it is cooling the Mainboard VRMs really well…
Give it a try - if getting too hot: dump the 10€ cooler and get something like a Scythe Shuriken

Reactions: bsod

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
From Gigabyte Support, but my iGPU still cannot be activated
Thanks for posting :)

My idle power dropped by 5-7W by enabling the 45W Eco mode :p

At about 40W idle now with a 4x4x4x4 bifurcation-card with 3 NVMes, a Mellanox LX-4 and running Proxmox with my normal stack

forget about that iGPU ;) throw a Intel A380 in there if you want to transcode

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
forget about that iGPU ;) throw a Intel A380 in there if you want to transcode
let‘s see… I still have a ticket open with Gigabyte Support.
If it’s not possible, I will sell the board and stick to my original plan to use my M720q for transcoding

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
let‘s see… I still have a ticket open with Gigabyte Support.
If it’s not possible, I will sell the board and stick to my original plan to use my M720q for transcoding
If you value quality then that is the way ... your AMD iGPU might suffice for some light mobile streaming, but please don't use it for any archival purpose (ie transcoding your dvds or blurays)

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
If you value quality then that is the way ... your AMD iGPU might suffice for some light mobile streaming, but please don't use it for any archival purpose (ie transcoding your dvds or blurays)
All my DVDs and BDs are already digitized and on my TrueNAS Scale Server :)
I just need a GPU for transcoding in Jellyfin of these movies…

Reactions: SlowmoDK

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
All my DVDs and BDs are already digitized and on my TrueNAS Scale Server :)
I just need a GPU for transcoding in Jellyfin of these movies…
It might suit you needs, just be aware that the quality of output will be noticeably worse from AMD APU, compared to Quicksync on even your 8th gen intel in the m720q

knewtsson

Feb 22, 2024
Has anyone been able to get C-states to C6 or better? I've been investigating this quite a bit since my system is not going beyond C3. Idle consumption is about 20w with nothing connected via PCI-E which is good, but I'm hoping to get it even lower!

Last thing I did was trying to find hidden BIOS settings according to this post: Reduce power consumption with powertop

Unfortunately the setting mentioned ("Low Power S0 Idle Capability") is not available on this motherboard. I did find two other interesting settings however:

* ASPM Support. Was set to disabled per default, I changed it to Auto.
* Enable ACPI Auto Configuration. Was set to 0 by default, I changed it to 1 (enabled).

Unfortunately I did not notice any changes neither in power consumption nor C-states (via powertop).

Next up I'll try remove the NVME drive and only run the system with CPU and RAM (and USB-stick to boot Ubuntu Server).

Maybe it's the AST2500 chip that's stopping the system from entering a deeper C-state?

Reactions: AlexGee

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
@knewtsson

Where can I find the ASPM and ACPI setting in the BIOS?

I found under Advance/AMD CBS/CPU Common Options: ACPI_CST C1 Declaration and changed from Auto to enabled

ASPM?

P.S. so far, I only can reach C3 too (TrueNAS scale) - When running powertop, all is marked as good (without autotune)