EU Gigabyte Mainboard MC12-LE0 Re1.0 AMD B550 AM4 Ryzen

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

foogitiff

Jul 26, 2018
I guess the motherboard doesn't like the PDU. Found some examples online that some combo + PDU don't work.

Not sure if I will keep the chassis in this case. @RolloZ170 do you think a 8259CL with a WC621Da8-T in a 2U case is a bad idea? I don't remember if I can limit the TDP in the bios.

netswitch

Sep 24, 2018
Anybody tryed plugging a SAS Controler on these motherboard ? (Namely an old LSI 9211-8i)
Bios seems not to be comptabile, maybe too old ?

SlowmoDK

Oct 4, 2023
Anybody tryed plugging a SAS Controler on these motherboard ? (Namely an old LSI 9211-8i)
Bios seems not to be comptabile, maybe too old ?
Have LSI 9300-8i running with 0 problems in one of my boards

I can test a LSI 9211-8i on monday, if you don't get it solved over the weekend

Reactions: netswitch

etorix

Sep 28, 2021
There's no reason a 9211-8i would not work, but if you want to boot from it you may need to flash the appropriate UEFI firmware.

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
Does anyone have a 1U chassis recommendation? All the chassis I find have coustom IO bezels.
There are a bunch from Intertech if you are in europe,

keep in mind most standard atx io bezels are just to tall to fit inside 1u.

You might want to look into 2u cases with a better low profile cooler if you can, these 1u coolers that you could get for an additional 10€ with the deal are close to unusable in therms of temperature, i got one of them and tested it with a ryzen 3700x (65w tdp) and it goes to over 90°C within seconds of any load...

Reactions: schlabberlachs

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
How much are your builds pulling?
I have a 5700x, 2x 32gb of ecc udimms and 1 4x10G nic and 1 nvme ssd on mine. Power usage seems high for such little hardware.

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
Maybe you could have started with giving us the power consumption of your system? ;)

My system could be similar (you did not list everything): 5700X, 2x 32GB Samsung, BMC57414 (one port linked at 25GbE using a DAC), Optane M10 16GB, beQuiet 400W (about 10 years old), 4x NF-S12A, Dynatron A24 (all fans are running at 40% to keep NIC cool) OS is fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04 server updated to newest packages but 5.15 kernel

Power consumption at idle is slightly below 33W (measured externally).

Reactions: Serhan and etorix

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Maybe you could have started with giving us the power consumption of your system? ;)

My system could be similar (you did not list everything): 5700X, 2x 32GB Samsung, BMC57414 (one port linked at 25GbE using a DAC), Optane M10 16GB, beQuiet 400W (about 10 years old), 4x NF-S12A, Dynatron A24 (all fans are running at 40% to keep NIC cool) OS is fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04 server updated to newest packages but 5.15 kernel

Power consumption at idle is slightly below 33W (measured externally).
Sorry was complaining about power usage and forgot to mention it duh.

Mike is idling at 72w.and that is literally everything I have (plus 4 noctua fans but those should be negligible).

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
That's quite high. So what is your PSU, OS and running (background) software? (background activity does increase power consumption by 20-30W on my system) What SSD do you use? and what NIC?

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
That's quite high. So what is your PSU, OS and running (background) software? (background activity does increase power consumption by 20-30W on my system) What SSD do you use? and what NIC?
Running esxi with only 1 opnsense vm. The ssd is a crucial p2. Psu is a be quiet tfx-300.
The nic is a silicon PE210G4SPI9. That's basically a 8724 pex chip with 2 x520s cramed into 1 card (should only be 10w with one sfp+ cable attached like I have). The cpu is mostly idling and stays at 1% at all times.

etorix

Sep 28, 2021
Add 15-20 W for the PEX chip and forget about "idle" with OPNSense filtering all your IP traffic in the background.

Reactions: RolloZ170

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Add 15-20 W for the PEX chip and forget about "idle" with OPNSense filtering all your IP traffic in the background.
That's not how that works. That's not how anything works. And since I'm running exsi I can prove it.(shout out to esxi for using the dumbest possible representation of cpu time usage possible)

Also without the 10G nic it consumes 61w

Attachments

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
Truth might be in the middle (like most of the time).

8724 pex is officially 5W. But old dual port 10GbE NICs are more than 5W so I am pretty shure your NIC is more than 10W (count of connected ports is only a minor difference in all 10/25GbE server NICs I know)

Apart from that the major thing is: CPU power consumption is not tightly connected to CPU load. There are enormous differences possible depending on type of load and (this is probably the major point here) CPU sleep states! Depending on the type of load sleep states are practically never reached despite CPU load being low. Next thing is difference in OS. I don't have experience with ESXi but I have read multiple times that it practically disables sleep states for performance reasons (latency). This last point could be the major factor here.

Reactions: etorix

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Truth might be in the middle (like most of the time).

8724 pex is officially 5W. But old dual port 10GbE NICs are more than 5W so I am pretty shure your NIC is more than 10W (count of connected ports is only a minor difference in all 10/25GbE server NICs I know)

Apart from that the major thing is: CPU power consumption is not tightly connected to CPU load. There are enormous differences possible depending on type of load and (this is probably the major point here) CPU sleep states! Depending on the type of load sleep states are practically never reached despite CPU load being low. Next thing is difference in OS. I don't have experience with ESXi but I have read multiple times that it practically disables sleep states for performance reasons (latency). This last point could be the major factor here.
I have literally pulled it out and used the built in nic and compared to get the 10-11w value. So I'm sure about that one.
Esxi used to be good at letting things go to higher c states with low power mode enabled (which I have). I'll need to install debian and redo my setup with kvm to test. Good idea.

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
First thing might be to exchange the SSD (or put a second in) and install plain Ubuntu server just to have a comparison. If that results in a big difference, I agree that it would be worth the effort and be quite interesting to run your VM(s) in a Linux/KVM environment of your choice.

gnajmacz

Feb 13, 2024
Hi, I'm planning to purchase this motherboard for my Proxmox server and have a few questions:

1. I intend to install a second-generation Ryzen (2600) CPU on this board. Although theoretically not supported, there have been instances where second-generation processors work flawlessly on B550 chipsets. Has anyone successfully done this with this particular board?

2. Regarding the onboard graphics: my CPU lacks an integrated GPU, and I'd like the option to connect a monitor directly to the motherboard's VGA port for troubleshooting, without using a discrete graphics card. Does this motherboard come with integrated graphics similar to what an ASRock Rack motherboard offers? I'm trying to avoid using one of the limited PCI-E slots for a graphics card.

3. I plan to upgrade to a Ryzen 3900X in the future. Is anyone running such a high-performance CPU on this board? My concern is whether the VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) can handle the increased power demand.

4. How is the stability? I've seen posts from a year ago mentioning stability issues, but there seem to be improvements following updates. Can anyone provide current feedback on this?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. Have a great day :)

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
The Ryzen 2600 will be a challenge…

the AST2500 has offers basic VGA output- totally sufficient if not transcoding

3900X: use a decent top blow cooler and set to 65W eco mode

stability is fine

only downside for me: iGPU not working for transcoding, because cannot be activated in BIOS