Full height GPU in 2U chassis w/half-height slots

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
So I'd like to dip my toes into the world of machine learning. I have most of STH's Starter ML build already as my home server. Except for the GPU, and also, it's in a 2U rackmount chassis. Specifically, the Supermicro SC825TQ-536LPB; the "LPB" part of the model name stands for "low-profile bracket", i.e. it only accepts half-height PCI cards. It looks like GTX1060s don't come in half-height, so won't fit in my chassis naturally.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the cheapest way to get a GTX 1060 (or better) up and running with minimal cost. I'd rather not buy a new chassis. Or maybe drop down to a GTX 1050 for now, which apparently do come in half-height form factors?

I also haven't given any thought to cooling. I can't remember the last time I had a dedicated graphics card. I've done only headless servers and integrated graphics systems for years now!

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
looks like you would be limited to 1050 TI low profile cards, if you want to do anything in chassis.

you may also try extending the card outside of the server. like the miners used to do.

Chris

Reactions: Tha_14

kapone

May 23, 2015
Try the "WIO" window and risers for the 825? It has the horizontal slot layout and you may be able to put it in the topmost slot (giving you enough clearance below it)