FreeNAS fully operational ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZILoBeast

Dec 27, 2017
Hello Everybody,

I have succesfully installed my FreeNAS Server and now I just want to be sure if it is fully operational and functions…
I first wanted to check if ECC is really working so I did DmiDecode in the FreeNAS terminal.
It showed me for my RAM that there is a total Bandwidth of 72 and a Data Width of 72 as well.
So after that I did the MemTest86 and got the following message : ECC enabled - Yes (ECC Scrubbing).
It also said that ECC polling is enabled but ECC Injection is disabled.

In FreeNAS I set an RAID-Z2 for six HDDs and it shows that I have compression inherit (lz4) and a compression ratio of 1.02x. (Readonly inherit (off)).
To use FreeNAS on MacOS I only activated AFP.

Now to my question :

Does this configuration protetecs me against bit rot ?
Better said is ECC fully working according to the Results of DmiDecode and MemTest86 ?
(I'm not really an expert to be sure, so if ECC is enabled in BIOS is it also in FreeNAS ?
And is the configuration of FreeNAS complete or do I have to create a zpool or zvol or something like that for security ?)

Another question is - do I need to activate some more tasks ?
For example do I need snapshots, FTP, scrubs or something else ?
I only want the Server to storage my data (and of protect it against bit rot) and to stream via Flex.

Thank you for your help

P.S.: According to the motherboard producer I should be able to use ECC RAM with a Xeon 2600 v4...
I have the follow hardware :
Kingston reg ECC RAM (RDIMM)
Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4
ASUS X99-E WS

Linda Kateley

Apr 25, 2017
Minnesota
So as someone who has probably seen more the bad ECC pools than most.. Having data at rest is a very rare use case for problems in ECC. When I have seen those, what happens is a page of memory holding high level metadata while being written is inaccurate. It gets written with checksum to both or all redundent disks. This can cause the whole pool to fail.

If all you are doing is (i think you meant plex) streaming.. Most of you data is consistent and not active. Write your data in stream and it will most likely read sequentially too. What i mean by this is save your movies one at a time.

The only other thing is to maybe run scrub more often especially if you don't read all data often.